Just wanted to let all you front range mags know about the Cloud City ski team run out of Ski Cooper if your interested in getting your kid on a ski team that doesn't require you to be a dentist. I've been skiing for 45 years or so, was a ski bum for 12 years and I still can't ski for shit. When I was a ski bum all of my friends that could rip grew up skiing on ski teams. So when I had kids I wanted to get them on a ski team. Called all of the front range ski areas and discovered that you'd better have a bunch of disposable cash lying around if you want to put your kids on a ski team. Loveland, $3,000, WP, Eldora, Summit $4,000, Brec and Vail $5,000(if you want your kid to grow up to be Mikaela or Lindsey that will run you $25,000+ a year). Then a buddy of mine who is a coach at Ski Cooper told me about their ski team which cost $200 for the year plus the season pass which is $130 for kids. In September they have a volunteer project for the kids and a taco party/ski swap afterwards. This year the kids picked up rocks off of one of the main runs they use for gate training and put up snow fences. We got on the team in December last year so we missed the ski swap last year. The ski swap is kinda unbelievable, I asked Jeff the director how much the skis and other gear was, he states it's all free, I then ask him where we sign it out, he states it's on the honor system, just bring it back next year.

My son was on the development team last year and he probably got 8 to 10 training sessions in and it's amazing how well he can ski. This year he will be on the race team and my daughter will be on the development team. The coaches are all incredible and really good with the kids. The kids all love it and it is really cool to watch them become little rippers. And it only cost $330.

Only down side is it's about 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive depending on where you live in Denver and Ski Cooper is so flat that it makes Vail look like CB(I decided to make things interesting by dropping a knee). But on the plus side Ski Cooper is straight out of the '70's with a great friendly vibe!

Just wanted to do a little PSA for any front range mag that might want to get their kids on a ski team that you can actually afford. If you have any questions fire away and I will try and answer them.