Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    That Warren house is nice, but there is no way you’re making it to Burlington in one hour.
    Agreed. Where in Moretown is there near 1000 verts of bc available from your back yard? Some bushwhacking sure, but your driving for anything real. Unless parts of Crossette Hill are considered Moretown but I always thought that was Fayston or Duxbury.

I haven't lived in VT in 25 years but I'd be looking in Underhill. I'm not sure why you want to do this anyone but the flank on Mt Mansfield is where the snow is. I used to have friends that had a place but towards the Sunset Ridge Trail and we'd ski from there. The 1hr think is gonna be rough. Probably depends where in Burlington and when you will be driving.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Agreed. Where in Moretown is there near 1000 verts of bc available from your back yard? Some bushwhacking sure, but your driving for anything real. Unless parts of Crossette Hill are considered Moretown but I always thought that was Fayston or Duxbury.
    Perhaps something off Moretown Gap, not sure what’s posted land or actively being logged. It’s probably terrain better suited to Marquette’s and fish scales, plus you’d probably want a .45 and keep an eye out for the PIg Man. Yes Crossette is in Duxbury.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I haven't lived in VT in 25 years but I'd be looking in Underhill. I'm not sure why you want to do this anyone but the flank on Mt Mansfield is where the snow is. I used to have friends that had a place but towards the Sunset Ridge Trail and we'd ski from there. The 1hr think is gonna be rough. Probably depends where in Burlington and when you will be driving.

I agree

Ok a bit more info for you all to chew on...
    I will be working in Burlington so I will be up there a lot not just once in a while. We have two young boys so we also need to find a good school district.
    So here is a list of the towns mentioned above from highest to lowest. I know these are just town elevations not houses at higher parts of the area but still good general starting point.

-Duxbury (2,333')
    -Fayston (1,755')
    -Lincon (1,263')
    -Moretown (1,083')
    -Waren (866')
    -Underhill (837')
    -Waistfeild (800')
    -Northfeild (800')
    -Huntington (771')
    -Bolton (758')

Schools best at top of list: (might be a little off but should be somewhat accurate)
    Underhill, Hunington, Bolton
    Duxbury
    Fayston, Moretown, Waistfeild, Warren
    Northfeild
    Lincon

So Duxbury, Fayston and Moretown seam like the winners based on elevation and schools. Is Duxbury really than much higher than Bolton seams like when you are driving on 89 there is not 1,575 difference of elevation change. Has anyone skied in the Putnam State Forest good terrain and snow?

Do these assumptions seam right to everyone...
    Duxbury -Camels hump touring/35 min to burlington
    Fayston- Maybe more snow...on the east side of the greens? About 1 hour to Burlington. Close terrain would be in between mad river and Sugarbush.
    Moretown-I guess terrain north or south so camels hump or mad river area. Around 40 min to burlington.
    Last edited by tyfalk; 10-28-2018 at 06:59 PM.
    "Officially known as Highway U-210, more commonly known as Little Cottonwood Canyon and unofficially acknowledged as the epicenter of the greatest snow on earth." Andrew McLean

What do you mean by "I'm not sure why you want to do this anymore"
    "Officially known as Highway U-210, more commonly known as Little Cottonwood Canyon and unofficially acknowledged as the epicenter of the greatest snow on earth." Andrew McLean

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Perhaps something off Moretown Gap, not sure what’s posted land or actively being logged. It’s probably terrain better suited to Marquette’s and fish scales, plus you’d probably want a .45 and keep an eye out for the PIg Man. Yes Crossette is in Duxbury.
    I've skied that stuff. Fun logging roads but short vert. Best for scaled skis indeed. Commuting to Burlington certainly changes things. You have to consider winter driving and a big one Mud Season. Being located up close to open land at elevation can and usually does mean you're up at the end of a dirt road that can be very challenging for a good stretch of the spring and can make 4wd, high clearance vehicles mandatory for residents, as well as an adventurous spirit. It can be fairly real 4 wheeling to get in and out of some places even on town roads and can add significant time to your drive.

If you're commuting I'd scratch the last 6 towns off your list personally, but I hate burning gas more than most folks.

Honestly I'd suggest renting for a year and getting to know the towns and back country a bit before deciding. Life can be very different from town to town in Vt, and people expectations as to what Vt back country is can also vary widely.

Montpelier/Barre is the second largest economic node in the state. If this type of backyard scene is really important to you folks look for another job. There is likely a lot more opportunity in the Barre/Montpelier surrounding areas for what you want at much better prices and being in or near Chitt.Co. is really getting to be a lot more like New Jersey every day. Belive me, I know about Jersey.

Based on your info, I’d rank the towns:

Underhill
    Bolton
    Duxbury
    Huntington/ Moretown tie (Huntington has probably better skiing but it’s further out)
    Fayston
    The rest realistically are further than an hour most days two season of the year.

I'd don't proof read my posts. Generally, I'm multitasking on the phone or something. What i was trying to say is, "I don't know why you would want to have this as an objective given working in Burlington and such". I'd save the money, drive less and take more ski vacations. That that is me and we are talking about you.

Now I nice casual XC track is a different story. I know a few Shubes that have that set up out the back door and it is pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by tyfalk View Post
    -Bolton (758')
    So Duxbury, Fayston and Moretown seam like the winners based on elevation and schools. Is Duxbury really than much higher than Bolton seams like when you are driving on 89 there is not 1,575 difference of elevation change.
    Moretown-I guess terrain north or south so camels hump or mad river area. Around 40 min to burlington.
    Both Bolton and Duxbury (and most of the other towns on the list) have a decent elevation variation within town limits. 758' is probably the elementary school or fire house down in the valley; most of the housing is uphill, whether in West Bolton towards the golf course or headed up towards the ski area. BV main base area is at about 2,500'.

Duxbury can also vary; if you head up towards the Camel's Hump trailhead, you get well out of the valley, but as noted, you may also make your commute a lot more interesting during storm events and mud season.

I also wouldn't be too quick to poo-poo low-angle laps on scales. It's a different kind of skiing, but if you can do it without needing to get in the car, it can be a lot of fun and a great way to fill in the days where you can't get to bigger slopes.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I also wouldn't be too quick to poo-poo low-angle laps on scales. It's a different kind of skiing, but if you can do it without needing to get in the car, it can be a lot of fun and a great way to fill in the days where you can't get to bigger slopes.
    Or even low angle pow laps on light touring gear. That is most of what Vt has to offer. The deep days where you need good pitch are greatly outnumbered by the days where mellow pitch offers better turns. Lots of long low angle runs in zones all around. The long steep runs are rare away from the lifts and get hit quick when soft snow is deep.

Hot laps for the win!

Edit to add: and those deep days that might or might not happen, you’ll find it’s best to save those for the days you can’t get away. The rest of the “good” free days you should be using to pillage everyone else’s stash.

Wouldn't it be better to live near work and drive for the skiing? I mean, from a driving less and saving $ on gas perspective. Sure, skiing from your house sounds nice but driving a few hours two days a week compared to 5 seems a lot cooler imo.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to live near work and drive for the skiing? I mean, from a driving less and saving $ on gas perspective. Sure, skiing from your house sounds nice but driving a few hours two days a week compared to 5 seems a lot cooler imo.
    Yup. You could live 15 minutes from Montpelier/barre and ski out your door with little competition.

Thanks for all the input everyone. We are actively trying to buy this Huntington house. I could get into fish scales but I already have a lot of light Touring gear which would hopefully work almost as well. If the terrain dictates I would be into the fish scales.

I have spend a few years in Vermont so I understand the Challenges of mud season. I think I could make sense to rent but I just can’t stand the idea of moving again. (Just moved across the country. )

Anyone actually ski Robbins or camels hump frequently?
    What’s the status of this project...
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bur.../amp/848053001

To quote the article you linked:

“There’s some level of secrecy — you don’t want everyone to know about your favorite swim-hole,"

If Robbins is good, no one *should* tell you about it on here. FWIW, it's a little too low to be prime.

Regarding the Camel's Hump "BC" legitimization project, I think it's a moot point. If it goes through you might get some more lines, but also more skier traffic.

That house and 80 acres...damn...

Edit: Also, Duxbury "town" is not at 2,300 ft. Your elevations numbers are suspect. Most town zoning forbids houses above a certain elevation, something like 1800-2000.

Quote Originally Posted by gustav View Post
    To quote the article you linked:

“There’s some level of secrecy — you don’t want everyone to know about your favorite swim-hole,"

If Robbins is good, no one *should* tell you about it on here. FWIW, it's a little too low to be prime.

Regarding the Camel's Hump "BC" legitimization project, I think it's a moot point. If it goes through you might get some more lines, but also more skier traffic.

That house and 80 acres...damn...

Edit: Also, Duxbury "town" is not at 2,300 ft. Your elevations numbers are suspect. Most town zoning forbids houses above a certain elevation, something like 1800-2000.
    That all makes sense. I figured those numbers were questionable.

I've toured through and lapped the zones on that side of the Hump. It's good, there's plenty of trimmed stuff and a lot of naturally ski-able birch. The reason I don't go more is it's low hanging fruit for the largest population center in the state, and sees as much traffic as the other two good spots that are well known on that side of the spine within an hour of Burlington. From over here I drive by a lot of spots with a better aspect for snow conditions in combination with being that much farther from B-town that traffic is always mush less. I've never skied Robbins it's self but can tell you it's low and the west facing side will be a challenge as far as snow pack goes.