Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I double punched my Vulcan toes. I was free heel and locked while stomping on a little wind layer to demo a reactive slab. Dropped 5 feet to flat as planned, but landed forward. They popped back out 90% of the way on their own but its very obvious.

I wonder what the new toe does and if I wan to pull out the old toe and epoxy in the new toe in the old holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Gh0stRAT you have my attention.
    I wasn’t really all that concerned about the issue before but I will certainly be waiting to install my 17/18 set until more info is available as to what is changing and under what circumstances they’ll swap them.

Not sure if this adds anymore to the discussion, but here's a reply I received from a retailer inquiring the version of the Tectons they are selling:

"We have no information about a new model. The one we have had in stock is from 2017 (ref: FR003635) and this would probably also be the model sent to us from the supplier as if there is a new model, it would have a different reference number."

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    How light of boots are causing these problems? If I'm in a standard touring boot (LaSpo Spectre II) should I be worried?
    The toes I've repaired have been on Vulcans and MTN Labs, not especially light boots.

I got a set from Spain recently and they have an updated toe design. Here's pics of the new toe bumper.

Name:  IMG_6763.JPG
Views: 790
Size:  90.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_6764.JPG
Views: 786
Size:  85.2 KB

Wonder if it will just make a wider dent . . .

Quote Originally Posted by garuda View Post
    I got a set from Spain recently and they have an updated toe design. Here's pics of the new toe bumper.

Name:  IMG_6763.JPG
Views: 790
Size:  90.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_6764.JPG
Views: 786
Size:  85.2 KB
    vs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8623.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	793.8 KB 
ID:	255432

can you describe further?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I haven't mounted them yet so haven't been able to see the resistance/function on the new toe block. It is wider and maybe taller than the 1st gen, and looks like it will spread force to a wider surface area on the boot toe when the two meet. I am not sure if there is a release when in walk mode (at higher than 12 values) with the new toe or not.

Not sure how it happened but a bunch of text and pics got dropped from the NS review showing the toeblocks of version 1 of Tecton and the toeblock invagination. I restored the text and pictures

https://www.newschoolers.com/news/re...ouring-Binding

I haven't mounted them yet so haven't been able to see the resistance/function on the new toe block.
    Thanks for the pictures and info! Without mounting them to skis or wearing the boot, do you think you could clip the toe of a boot into them, switch to walk mode, and then rotate the boot forward to see where it stops? The BD rep I've spoken to said, "The redesigned toe moves this out of the way when the binding is in walk mode" which makes me think you should be able to touch you knee to the ski in walk mode with the new toe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gh0stRAT View Post
    "The redesigned toe moves this out of the way when the binding is in walk mode" which makes me think you should be able to touch you knee to the ski in walk mode with the new toe.
    This would be good news but seems unlikely no? fondling my set i find it hard to understand how you'd achieve this without a major redesign? intriguing none the less

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    This would be good news but seems unlikely no? fondling my set i find it hard to understand how you'd achieve this without a major redesign? intriguing none the less
    Yeah, from the pictures garuda posted it doesn't look very different. Then again it would only take moving the toe bump a little bit in order to get an extra 30 degrees of rotation, which is about all it would need.

I'm confused. Are they claiming the boot no longer hits the bumper in walk mode but does in ski mode??
    Seems a stretch - if the bumper rotates away as the lever comes up then how would it do the job of releasing.

Having a boot contact lever (more of a cam actually) on top wasn't the issue with the 2018 toe, it was because that cam was also a locking cap that prevented the toe from opening in walk mode. For 2019, perhaps they eliminated the locking cap mechanism on the underside of the cam, even though it might not look much different on top. This is just speculation of course.

I'll try to mount on a 2x4 over the weekend and test the walk mode toe contact and report back.

thx Garuda. BD warranty dept has been stellar in the past. following...

Better late than never! Here's a short video of the functionality of the updated toe piece. The bumper in front lays down flat when the binding is put in walk mode, so it should avoid any boot denting. Also, the release works nicely with a Scarpa F1, which wasn't true of the Vipec Black.

Looks like you might be able to drop your knee a touch more. Not much more though. Not sure that’ll completely solve the issue. Time will tell. Still a very good binding

Better late than never! Here's a short video of the functionality of the updated toe piece. The bumper in front lays down flat when the binding is put in walk mode, so it should avoid any boot denting. Also, the release works nicely with a Scarpa F1, which wasn't true of the Vipec Black.
    Thanks for posting! The toe redesign does look less protruding.

hm, interesting. Seems like the new update is an upgrade as well, making something good even better. If so, good job Fritschi!

i wonder i similar results can be had by just grinding down last year's bindings as some people already have done, and possibly gluing a flat piece of plastic / metal on the stump to help share the load a bit. I dunno, will be a lot easier to tell once i actually get to fiddle a bit with the new ones

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    hm, interesting. Seems like the new update is an upgrade as well, making something good even better. If so, good job Fritschi!

i wonder i similar results can be had by just grinding down last year's bindings as some people already have done, and possibly gluing a flat piece of plastic / metal on the stump to help share the load a bit. I dunno, will be a lot easier to tell once i actually get to fiddle a bit with the new ones
    The new toe bumper interfaces with the toe lever in a different way than the last version, so it can rotate down in walk mode. Grinding or modifying the last version would not approximate the function of the updated one.

yeah - sorry - just saw that now when i went full screen and put the back lightning on max Hm, i wonder if snow build up under the mechanism will become an issue in ski mode, especially with denser coastal snow.

The new mode seems a bit more refined. Not enough for me to swap as of now, but might at a later date

Garuda - hope it is okay that i played a bit with the colors in your photos to make things a bit easier to discern
    Name:  tecton.JPG
Views: 626
Size:  103.8 KBName:  tec.JPG
Views: 601
Size:  92.8 KB

Thanks for posting

Ditto

I also understood that Cochise (the newer ones) with DIN soles had some issues with the older version. any one try the new toes with these boots ?