Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tecton updates for 18/19 season?

I'd read in a couple of places (Wildsnow?) that Fritche was coming out with a new version of the Tecton this fall. Maybe addressing the toe bumper. I can't find any other info that supports the rumor. Anyone see/hear of anything on this??

i've read the same thing and have also not found any info in spite of looking for it. Fritschi's web page doesn't even depict the latest version of the vipec evo - something the folks at Black Diamond, Fritschi's American partner, at least do.

Pretty sure it's almost identical but they're adding a little more rubber for additional dampening purposes. For a tech binding they're already pretty smooth, though, so no need to wait for the new one if you find a good deal on the current version IMO.

Nothing yet solid confirmed. I'll ask them and report back

following.

Thanks!

The current Tecton skis damn well, not sure that some rubber somewhere would improve anything.

more following in the sense that i want to know what's changing so as to understand any potential durability changes

I believe a fellow maggot - LightRanger - talked directly to BD last spring and that was my source about the minimal changes aside from some extra dampening- so he went ahead and ordered the current version.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I was emailing with BD the other week and they told me that the toe piece was updated for this year and it would be released in mid October. I’m hoping they fixed the boot punch issue.

Wasn't the brake plate the main weak spot?

^ Only breaks if you slam down the brake AFTER putting the heel in walk mode. User error, made worse by BD incorrectly showing it done that way in their product video. Their video people didn't communicate with their engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ Only breaks if you slam down the brake AFTER putting the heel in walk mode. User error, made worse by BD incorrectly showing it done that way in their product video. Their video people didn't communicate with their engineers.
    I'd say a design error too in that many people though that was the way to do it. That part is one that is going to be re-worked

Yeah, that's a good idea, hopefully the redesign doesn't create some other kind of issue, like lesser brake retention or something.

I just heard back from a BD rep about the new Tecton toe.
    The new version does account for the lighter boots on the market. They have made updates to the part of the toe that was causing the issue you discussed.
    The issue I had discussed was knee-falls leading to crushed toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gh0stRAT View Post

I just became very interested
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Haven't had any issues, but I might warranty my Vipec Evo toes if that is the case. I'm aware of it when I'm skinning, and in exposed areas that's a distraction I don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I believe a fellow maggot - LightRanger - talked directly to BD last spring and that was my source about the minimal changes aside from some extra dampening- so he went ahead and ordered the current version.
    Looks like I got bad info...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I honestly couldn’t remember if that was you or if I was mixing up info. Anyway, whatever, the current ones are fine.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Even up to a month ago, all I could get out of BD was
    Thank you for reaching out to us. We tend to get Fritschi’s new product in October/November, but do not have an exact ETA at this time.
    which didn't really address whether there would even be a new Tecton this year.

I'm impressed you were able to get anything at all out of them as far back as last spring!
    Last edited by Gh0stRAT; 10-09-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Evo is selling the "2019" Tecton with no changes from last year. I contacted the BD rep I've been working with and they clarified:
    Those are not misslabeled, Fritschi just plans to offer a version that will be more accomodating to the lighter weight boots on the market in addition to the traditional one. These should be available come early November.

My rep tells me the new toe piece is now available through the warranty department, but I can't seem to get any details about what's actually been changed. Anyone else hear anything about it?

How light of boots are causing these problems? If I'm in a standard touring boot (LaSpo Spectre II) should I be worried?

My local ski shop is working on getting the new toes, so I'll be able to check it out in-person in a few weeks. I'll post a picture of how it works with my boot if nobody else has by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    How light of boots are causing these problems? If I'm in a standard touring boot (LaSpo Spectre II) should I be worried?

I've seen a picture of a damaged Dynafit Vulcan, not sure how comparable the Spectre II's. You can Google for "Tecton knee fall" to read what others have been encountering.
    Last edited by Gh0stRAT; 11-13-2018 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Broken quote tags

I have a strong suspicion the set i picked up from bd were the last stock of old toes. i still need another set which I'll grab when they're back in Stock. i assume this will be the new toe. curious to side by side them although this will be a few weeks from now.