Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by slashy View Post
    I also understood that Cochise (the newer ones) with DIN soles had some issues with the older version. any one try the new toes with these boots ?
    What issues? I haven't had any issues with either the new toes nor the old.

from Blister :

The Cochise boot has a DIN sole, which is quite a bit thinner than a rockered touring sole. As a result, the Cochise can have difficulty stepping into tech bindings. It still works, but may take a few tries more than with other boots. Cochise works very well with the Tecton (and new Vipec Evo), however, because it’s step-in design is more adaptable to different boots than other tech bindings.
    Why? Tech binding step-in is sensitive to boot sole height, since it’s the boot sole that presses on the platforms to close the toe pins into the boot toe sockets. If the boot sole is worn (or thinner) then the toe pins can close too late, and miss the boot toe sockets.

Meh, it hasn't really been an issue. Much easier to step in than kingpins.

Did anyone here try them with the Hoji's? BD website says they are compatible with the Hoji's but Dynafit doesn't confirm. Given the speed nose design of the Hoji's I wonder how much that actually limits the range of motion

Found the answer to my own question from wildsnow:

I’ve now spent a couple of weeks touring in the Hoji + 18/19 Tecton, i.e. new Tecton/Vipec toe. Ski retailers in Europe are generally very clear that the Hoji can only be used with the 18/19 version of the Fritschi bindings. In practice I’ve had no problems whatsoever, albeit in some situations with steep kick turns in deep snow you do hit the new low profile toe-piece ‘bump’ earlier than a traditional pin toe, but it’s still very manageable and I never found it a nuisance. I was quite happy touring this setup on long tours and didn’t feel it was a big compromise to make for much better performance for the ski down.

Buddy just broke his second updated tecton toe in a forward fall. The whole bumper piece broke off. He's on atomic hawx.

Loving my OG vipecs. Simpler.

Frankenstein-binding Vipec Evo 12

For reference pics There’s an article on wildsnow showing break down. “
    LOST MACHINE OF ARCHIMEDES? TECTON-EVO-VIPEC TEARDOWN”

any thoughts on improving forward pivot by grinding down the Step-in Toe guide (area at the green sticker) and maybe the toe Bump Release? i would love for the TLT8 boot to work with my Vipec Evo 12 (18/19 MY, improved toe bumper) but in walk mode the boot toe hits the Step-In toe guide at 41* (ha- not even the bumper release) but in ski mode boot hits bumper at 30* (which is a positive since in a ski fall my heels out so the sooner my toe releases the better). This is by far the worst of 5 boots I tested (Procline, TLT8, Hoji Pro, TLT speedfit, Maestrale RS.

I mocked up the binding and TLT8 to get measurements and play with it to get an idea of what moves and contacts what. In the photo removing the toe bumper by removing the pin, did you see the arched path/slot that pin travels in? (seen easiest by putting lever to stepin mode and freely moving the toe bumper) The arch nearly reaches the green stepin guide. also seen from the top is a single slit for the return spring that wraps the pin. Below the pin on the toe bumpers lowest point are the tabs that clamp the bumper to the toe guide. Thankfully your pic shows me that they seem somewhat insignificant. So does that mean the pin traveling the arch is where the force of the boot pressing on the bumper for release is exerted? Furthermore, in the opposite, the pin hitting the end/top of the arch path could be strong enough to stop the rearward travel of the toe bumper when going from stepin to ski?
    A big concern is removing too much material from the green area of the guide to allow better boot rotation but weaken the stopping potential of the stepin guide at the top where it looks like an overhanging header. The earlier versions (2016 Black TUV) that did not have the bumper or stepin guide looked like they had plenty of room for the TLT8 to rotate but those had other issues I guess.
    Its probably unlikely to put it all back together to test grinding the stepin guide. Any chance you have the other toe binding to take a ‘crack’ at it?
    Thank you for any further information
    Last edited by Bikeskier; 02-20-2020 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Buddy just broke his second updated tecton toe in a forward fall. The whole bumper piece broke off. He's on atomic hawx.

Loving my OG vipecs. Simpler.
    Hey hey. I just posted in tech forums about modifying the latest Vipec Evo 12 toe guide to fit a TLT8 boot. Is your buddy warrentying his broken toe piece? If not any interest in helping me out? Doing some mixing, sending my way or at least taking pics of what broke
    thsnks