Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 1127
  1. #226
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,073
    Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    Not only are those hucks insane, when you look at how much exposure there is it really puts that run into perspective.

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    5,129
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Travis Rice vid breakdown of his line: https://www.facebook.com/FreerideWor...2585218639416/
    I don't really know much about Travis Rice (beyond that he's a world-famous snowboarder), but that was one of the best line breakdowns I've ever seen and he seems like a super cool dude.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,575
    Finally got to watch the Hakuba replay. Some great skiing, but a fairly disappointing venue. Dodging (lots of) trees in blind landings based on only a visual inspection has got to be really, really hard.

    At a lot of these comps, I come away with a pretty clear inclination as to what the ranking should be for the top ~5. At this one, so many of the runs were just kinda dinking around off of small features, it seemed like more of a toss up. And I don't mean that as a dig at the competitors - there just wasn't a lot to work with at this venue, and to a significant extent, it seemed like there was a good bit of luck involved with getting a clean run.

    re: judging bias against the first riders / skiers. There's a bunch of research demonstrating that early competitors score worse than those later in a competition. The bias exists regardless of whether runs are scored after each run, or if they're all scored at the end once everyone's done. Some of those studies argue that the only way to deal with it is to randomize the start order so, over the course of a series, everyone should come out even-ish. Which seems kinda shitty for for something like the FWT where performances can vary a lot from venue to venue.

  4. #229
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,270
    ^^^FWT does a random bib draw for every event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  5. #230
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,575
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    ^^^FWT does a random bib draw for every event.
    Are a lot of the guys annoyed if they draw an early slot?

    I can't remember - was it always randomized? Or did they ever run it by ranking?

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary/Golden
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Can we give Tom Peiffer some love. For a rookie, coming in and winning with old school hard charging, great technique. After watching him for years on the Juniors it was no surprise to see him qualify after one season, and then do well here. But so quickly. Fuck yeah. And that three being thrown fall line at the top is bad ass. Don't side hit if you can hit it fall line kids.
    He rips, and so does his twin brother (as does the younger bro) . Need a lot of skill, hard work and a little luck to get through the FWQ to the show. Looking forward to Kicking Horse in a couple wks.

  7. #232
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,270
    I think it's been that way for a while, and they deal with what they have to deal with, but I don't think anyone is terribly stoked about going first.

    Speaking of which, anyone have a couch I can surf in KH?


    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Are a lot of the guys annoyed if they draw an early slot?

    I can't remember - was it always randomized? Or did they ever run it by ranking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  8. #233
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,073
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Speaking of which, anyone have a couch I can surf in KH?
    Go to the Canada threads (Interior BC and Alberta / Rockies since Golden is frequented by both groups) - the local maggots are very helpful over there.

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,375
    Judging bias aside-- Tricomi went first and won.

  10. #235
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    10,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    Kye's excuse was definitely lame. I can tell you from spending a lot of time with him he doesn't always think before he speaks. His heart is usually in the right place. I'm sure he meant it with good intentions but he fucked up there plain and simple.

    Whatever the excuse he clearly did not inspect the venue very well. He rarely competes, but he pretty much wins every other event he has ever been in. He won the last one he was in, so it makes sense he would not do well in this one. 2 Red Bull Coldrush wins + a revelstoke FWT win.

    As far as judging from a former competitor... Berkely should have been a few spots higher, his run was definitely better than a few guys ahead of him. I thought Aymar's run was better honestly. Unique extremely difficult line choice. That top double with a super quick clearly uphill takeoff was not easy. The single most difficult feature hit that day for sure from a pure skiing standpoint.

    The biggest judging error was the first 2 guys. Bimboes was one of the best runs of the day. Bigger airs than anyone. Faster than anyone. Tons of features. He easily could have been top 5. Tabke's run was weak with a loss of control. I love his skiing, but those two runs back to back epitomize the judging issues to me. I know going first always sucks but to look at only those 2 runs and score them the way they did is crazy to me. Should have been reversed at the very least.

    I really think they should implement "unofficial" results in real time. Then do a video review making sure they were on point. Awards ceremony in the evening after every event. They would usually only be moving a few people a few spots here and there in the middle of the pack but when those few places can mean the difference between re-qualifying or not at the end of the season and everything you worked so hard for is thrown away, it's a tough pill to swallow. Not something you could do at a FWQ with 70+ competitors, but could easily do on the FWT.

    Final thought. Like when Xavier de la Rue was competing a snowboarder clearly had the best run of the day by far. It has been a long time since that happened. Beautiful, exciting, perfectly executed. Unreal for that venue.

    As always fun watch. Looking forward to more as the season progresses.
    Great take, I'll rewatch a few runs with this in mind.

  11. #236
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Golden
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Finally got to watch the Hakuba replay. Some great skiing, but a fairly disappointing venue. Dodging (lots of) trees in blind landings based on only a visual inspection has got to be really, really hard.

    At a lot of these comps, I come away with a pretty clear inclination as to what the ranking should be for the top ~5. At this one, so many of the runs were just kinda dinking around off of small features, it seemed like more of a toss up. And I don't mean that as a dig at the competitors - there just wasn't a lot to work with at this venue, and to a significant extent, it seemed like there was a good bit of luck involved with getting a clean run.

    re: judging bias against the first riders / skiers. There's a bunch of research demonstrating that early competitors score worse than those later in a competition. The bias exists regardless of whether runs are scored after each run, or if they're all scored at the end once everyone's done. Some of those studies argue that the only way to deal with it is to randomize the start order so, over the course of a series, everyone should come out even-ish. Which seems kinda shitty for for something like the FWT where performances can vary a lot from venue to venue.
    There are definite tools to not be bias though. Especially with a handful of riders that you know well. Last year at the KH 4*, Andrew Pollard was first to drop. I knew he was a top tier skier and he aced his line so I scored him as he should be knowing that his run will be in the top of the field. Now he's on the tour. Success! It doesn't even matter if you know the skier, if it is a boss line that is smashed, you know it. You know the potential of a venue as well. And you leave room for better skiers no matter what.

    The first good rider sets the scale. And always leave room for improvement.

    Live judging is stupid though. FWT corrects mistakes afterwards all the time.

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Golden
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by brraaap802 View Post
    He rips, and so does his twin brother (as does the younger bro) . Need a lot of skill, hard work and a little luck to get through the FWQ to the show. Looking forward to Kicking Horse in a couple wks.
    Definitely, Liam rips. Qualified with a pretty small season too.

  13. #238
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North,NorthEast
    Posts
    2,508

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,595
    ^^^ Damn, that is cool footage. Even the slowest part of the run where he was mobbing over those bushes mid run was quicker than I thought it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

  15. #240
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28,888
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Sorry, he was rude. "If only the field were more select and smaller"? Seriously? Explainer? More like excuses. "I was too busy filming to pay attention to this invitation and show up on time". Sorry. What a load.

    Most of the guys on the FWT had to QUALIFY in. 3 guys from each region per season. Do you have any idea how hard that is? How determined, committed, hard-working and badass you have to be to get there? Then you have to finish in the top half to do another season which is no small feat either.

    B, Grif, Apol, Peiffers, etc. aren't "filming with [whoever in Japan]" and competing when it's convenient. They're scrapping around, couch surfing, training, working their butts off in the summer to pay for it all. Most of them ripped as hard as Kye when they were young but didn't have the legacy so had to come up the hard way through the ranks. No film deals, no magazine covers etc. I guarantee you they would never be caught dead putting that kind of crap on social media.

    Yeah, he's a great skier, and Numinous is very cool, but that kind of chatter is bullshit. If he thinks so poorly of the whole thing he should have turned down the invite. To barely show up, make excuses, and dis the other competitors unless they're big names reeks of entitlement. I have no time for that shit.

    I could go on......
    so i donít ig but kyeis the lame if heís dissing the berkís
    .

  16. #241
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,270
    He didn't dis the B, he generally dissed the whole thing. don't want to give the wrong impression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  17. #242
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16,592
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I don't really know much about Travis Rice (beyond that he's a world-famous snowboarder), but that was one of the best line breakdowns I've ever seen and he seems like a super cool dude.
    totally agree. i am now a fan.

  18. #243
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,270
    Good story just now from freshly returned and somewhat frazzled (if you've returned from Japan you know why) thing #2: at bib draw Travis stood up and told the room how honored he was to be there because he know how hard most others had worked to get there. He was the sole wild card to make such remarks.

    Good on TR!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  19. #244
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,073

    Freeride World Tour - 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Good story just now from freshly returned and somewhat frazzled (if you've returned from Japan you know why) thing #2: at bib draw Travis stood up and told the room how honored he was to be there because he know how hard most others had worked to get there. He was the sole wild card to make such remarks.

    Good on TR!
    Thatís awesome. And very cool to see the guy who has spent the last decade filming step in and throw down like that. Iím a fan. And he even acknowledges itís way more pressure than filming.

  20. #245
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    6,936
    ^ Super solid of Travis. Then proceeded to put down one of the best snowboard runs Iíve seen.

  21. #246
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Eagle River Alaska
    Posts
    10,909
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I want AK back. To me, that was the coolest event by far because IMO, AK is the cutting edge of freeride skiing. Verbier is just too damn scary, exposed and consequential IMO. AK (despite the weather issues), seemed to have the best conditions and terrain for the athletes to "comfortably" push their limits without the very probable risk of dying if they fell (like verbier).
    I like how they got such epic snow that year that there was not a clear winner because they just couldn't do anything but choke on pow. What ski movie did they say "we don't go to Alaska to ski super deep pow" ???
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

  22. #247
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    1,417


    That has to be one of the best one of those line breakdowns I've seen and compliments a really awesome run. Must be nice to be TRice

    On the other hand Kai need to apologize to the GSA

  23. #248
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,270
    Perhaps he was channeling.....

    Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    On the other hand Kai need to apologize to the GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  24. #249
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    204
    Oft, does your boy have some POV footage to share? Would love to see some. (I havenít actually searched the internet, apologies if already there).

  25. #250
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,251
    Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    what do you mean though. it had been a while since i saw the run so I watched the pov and was like damn I don't remember all those airs and then when I went to rewatch the standard view again i was like wow, the POV made him seem so much more in control
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •