Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Guys, he's like 19 or 20 years old, and just had his dreams crushed, even after winning Rookie of the Year. How would you feel? Totally fucking demoralized I bet. Setbacks are hard at any age, let alone 20, and especially when you've clawed and scratched and worked your ass off for years to get there. And even if you do all those things, you still need to be incredibly lucky and healthy to overcome the near impossibility of qualifying for the FWT -- unless, of course, you're T-Hall or Travis Rice. Now, he would have to start back over (AFAIK) to requalify for the FWT... That's a lot of high-impact mileage considering where he's been already. I would definitely be reconsidering everything too.

He can have a LONG future in skiing ahead of him if he wants. He's already been at the pinnacle of competitive freeride. If I were him, I'd probably just need some time to just be B. Ski for fun, tour my face off, and travel around without high pressure.
    I don't agree with minimizing the work that Thall and Trice have put in over the years (especially with injury in Thalls case), but totally agree with your overall point.

I think the immediate interest in Berkeley's future shows the impact he has made in the industry and the fans he has attracted. That people are this curious about his future is because we want to be able to watch him ski in what ever capacity suits him. Cause hes fucking rad. I hope his sponsors pay attention to that too.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I don't agree with minimizing the work that Thall and Trice have put in over the years (especially with injury in Thalls case), but totally agree with your overall point.

I think the immediate interest in Berkeley's future shows the impact he has made in the industry and the fans he has attracted. That people are this curious about his future is because we want to be able to watch him ski in what ever capacity suits him. Cause hes fucking rad. I hope his sponsors pay attention to that too.
    Fuck yeah on all accounts.

Hall and Rice have all the respect in the world from me. T-Rice might be GOAT and Hall, well, he's been at the top since the 90s. Gotta respect that. Just meant they didn't have to qualify like the up-through-the-ranks crew.
    sproing!

FS: crampons, lightweight winter down sleeping bag, and stuff https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ost?highlight=

Guys, he's like 19 or 20 years old, and just had his dreams crushed, even after winning Rookie of the Year. How would you feel? Totally fucking demoralized I bet. Setbacks are hard at any age, let alone 20, and especially when you've clawed and scratched and worked your ass off for years to get there. And even if you do all those things, you still need to be incredibly lucky and healthy to overcome the near impossibility of qualifying for the FWT -- unless, of course, you're T-Hall or Travis Rice. Now, he would have to start back over (AFAIK) to requalify for the FWT... That's a lot of high-impact mileage considering where he's been already. I would definitely be reconsidering everything too.

He can have a LONG future in skiing ahead of him if he wants. He's already been at the pinnacle of competitive freeride. If I were him, I'd probably just need some time to just be B. Ski for fun, tour my face off, and travel around without high pressure.
    Exactly. It's not fucking rocket science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Meter-man's thoughts are the closest thing I'm aware of at the moment. B just rolled in my door last night after following up Valnord with some time in Barcelona with his GF. Seems in a good mood but haven't had a chance to talk yet, and (if you have young adult kids you'll relate), if I probe I will probably be met with monosyllabic replies. If I allow the conversation to evolve organically I might get some insight.

I know he was crushed when results were final, and the crushing was exacerbated by the knowledge that even the judges acknowledged underscoring him in the first two events. He doesn't pretend those were winning runs, but he deserved better scores and without prodding the judges acknowledged that directly to him. That's gotta hurt, and maybe sour a person on competing in that particular arena.

I think it must be disheartening to feel like that, but he's always taken defeat pretty well in the big picture.

I am - and he would be too - touched by all the support you've all shown. It's been quite a ride, and of course I'm sad to see him miss out on Verbier and 2020 FWT. It would be hard to resist a wildcard for next year, but I don't know if he'd do it or not at this point, let alone whether they'd even consider offering one.

He's always said, "I want my skiing to do the talking" when thinking about sponsorships and career exposure. I love that about him, but sometimes wish it were different. Bottom line though is he's not a guy who's going to hustle his image or wave his dick around. That's who he is and it says a lot about him as a person. Being that kind of athlete who doesn't foster or maintain a high "look at me" profile probably doesn't make him the most appealing wild card prospect, but who knows? I do know they seemed to consider him to be someone who will go big and go hard - perhaps moreso than some others - and maybe that makes up for it.

Of course as a dad who's been on the path next to him for so many years I have a selfish desire to see him being a successful professional athlete in some regard. Whether that's what he wants? Dunno.

Bottom line to me is the I'm very grateful to have such a talented, hard working son (all of them are) who managed the extraordinary achievement of being on the FWT. I couldn't have imagined it all when he was a punk skier kid! It took both of us places we'd never been and what a fine time we all had getting there. And he's a nice, kind, considerate human being too.

Thanks again to all the mags for all the love. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    he deserved better scores and without prodding the judges acknowledged that directly to him.
    Wow
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Meter-man's thoughts are the closest thing I'm aware of at the moment. B just rolled in my door last night after following up Valnord with some time in Barcelona with his GF. Seems in a good mood but haven't had a chance to talk yet, and (if you have young adult kids you'll relate), if I probe I will probably be met with monosyllabic replies. If I allow the conversation to evolve organically I might get some insight.

I know he was crushed when results were final, and the crushing was exacerbated by the knowledge that even the judges acknowledged underscoring him in the first two events. He doesn't pretend those were winning runs, but he deserved better scores and without prodding the judges acknowledged that directly to him. That's gotta hurt, and maybe sour a person on competing in that particular arena.

I think it must be disheartening to feel like that, but he's always taken defeat pretty well in the big picture.

I am - and he would be too - touched by all the support you've all shown. It's been quite a ride, and of course I'm sad to see him miss out on Verbier and 2020 FWT. It would be hard to resist a wildcard for next year, but I don't know if he'd do it or not at this point, let alone whether they'd even consider offering one.

He's always said, "I want my skiing to do the talking" when thinking about sponsorships and career exposure. I love that about him, but sometimes wish it were different. Bottom line though is he's not a guy who's going to hustle his image or wave his dick around. That's who he is and it says a lot about him as a person. Being that kind of athlete who doesn't foster or maintain a high "look at me" profile probably doesn't make him the most appealing wild card prospect, but who knows? I do know they seemed to consider him to be someone who will go big and go hard - perhaps moreso than some others - and maybe that makes up for it.

Of course as a dad who's been on the path next to him for so many years I have a selfish desire to see him being a successful professional athlete in some regard. Whether that's what he wants? Dunno.

Bottom line to me is the I'm very grateful to have such a talented, hard working son (all of them are) who managed the extraordinary achievement of being on the FWT. I couldn't have imagined it all when he was a punk skier kid! It took both of us places we'd never been and what a fine time we all had getting there. And he's a nice, kind, considerate human being too.

Thanks again to all the mags for all the love. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything cool.
    #respect
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

@oftpiste, nice message. Will miss in you in Verbier! Best of luck to your boys.

I've always been torn about "supporting" pro sports, where the athlete/gladiators are treated like cannon fodder by promoters. It gets worse with "fringe" sports (e.g. not the NFL, NBA, Pro Soccer, etc.) where the financial reward to risk ratio is so much worse.

In spite of skiing being more mainstream in Europe, I'll bet there still isn't much money in the FWT business model, and the athletes (as usual) are at the bottom of the totem pole.

The sacrifices made by the athletes make is incredible, and I really feel for guys like Berkeley. @offpiste - you raised a thoughtful, aware kid. Good on ya both!

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-14-2019 at 05:07 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Thanks BI. It was really fun meeting you and your family last year and being the recipient of your hospitality and warmth. I hope I'll be back there sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    @oftpiste, nice message. Will miss in you in Verbier! Best of luck to your boys.

He's always said, "I want my skiing to do the talking" when thinking about sponsorships and career exposure.
    That's the thing, without self-promotion and depending on your skills to take yourself forward with sponsors and exposure doesn't get it done. I have a couple of friends, one of whom is/was tremendously talented 'in the day', the other talented but not as much who both skied professionally. The better skier is a quiet guy who never engaged in self-promotion and ultimately phased out of the scene, even though he had skied in four or five Warren Miller films. The other learned the game and is still engaged in being a professional skier as a producer of various filming projects with full sponsorship and pay for services. It really isn't fair to those whose personalities don't fit that mold but, that's the reality. If your son isn't geared for making the bro-brah scene, partying like a rock star and making sure everyone knows how relevant he is, it's going to be a hard road. It is even for those who know and can play the game. I wish him the best, he sounds like a great guy.

He will know he made the right choice in 20 years when he’s still skiing and having fun doing it! Not everything in life is about finishing 1st!

Self promotion can certainly contribute to certain kinds of success in just about any field from big mountain skiing to scientific research. But it comes at a cost, especially for those who find self promotion distasteful. It can poison something you love. Notoriety and fame do not equal success. Does anyone here envy the paths taken by Shawn White or Tanner Hall? Fuck that. I'd rather be a dirtbag than the center of of socialmediamarketingbombcyclone. Of course, there is a middle path for people as talented as Berkeley. He has plenty of time to figure out what he wants skiing to be for him. I looked forward to watching him ski again regardless of the venue.

I get what you're saying but don't think THall or Shaun White are great examples. They got famous for winning Olympic and X-Games medals... which, uh, seems like a pretty respectable path.

I can think of some better examples but don't want to go negative. Anyway, best of luck to Berkeley whichever path he chooses.

He's pretty aware of all that's been stated above. FWIW, he's probably still a little raw anyway. We'll see!

He's pretty aware of all that's been stated above. FWIW, he's probably still a little raw anyway. We'll see!
    I'd bet he's more aware than most, having been right in the mix for a couple seasons.

Hopefully he finds the path that brings him happiness and success. He's got plenty of time ahead of him to sort it out, and enough talent that his options are diverse.

If you haven't already done check out the Low Pressure Podcast episodes with Marcus Eder and Tanner Hall. Eder comes across as a giddy kid full of stoke and Hall sounds downright depressed and morose. I feel bad for him actually. Maybe that's just the mood he was in at the moment but dude needs help.

http://lowpressurepodcast.com/127-markus-eder-2/

http://lowpressurepodcast.com/125-ta...yst-is-skiing/

You Guys watch the Youth Freeski Comp too ???

I didnt put any names to memory, but some the kids runs were very memorable

The Comp posted on tgr's main page is super sik with about a foot and a half of fresh pow(where it didn't slide)

Kudos to all the competitors > real steep venue ; deep variable snow was a super great test and show of skills
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

^^Was there last year with thing #3 who was competing. Kappl's a neat place and that venue is way gnarlier and big than it presents. Great skiing this year too.

^^Was there last year with thing #3 who was competing. Kappl's a neat place and that venue is way gnarlier and big than it presents. Great skiing this year too.
    Sounds like “skiing prodigy” is in your DNA?

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    If you haven't already done check out the Low Pressure Podcast episodes with Marcus Eder and Tanner Hall. Eder comes across as a giddy kid full of stoke and Hall sounds downright depressed and morose. I feel bad for him actually. Maybe that's just the mood he was in at the moment but dude needs help.

http://lowpressurepodcast.com/127-markus-eder-2/

http://lowpressurepodcast.com/125-ta...yst-is-skiing/

The way Tanner sounds is far more common among extreme athletes than the way Eder does. Happy, well-adjusted people don't choose to spend a big chunk of their lives tiptoeing the line between life and death.
    Set my compass North, I got Winter in my blood.

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    You Guys watch the Youth Freeski Comp too ???

I didnt put any names to memory, but some the kids runs were very memorable

The Comp posted on tgr's main page is super sik with about a foot and a half of fresh pow(where it didn't slide)

Kudos to all the competitors > real steep venue ; deep variable snow was a super great test and show of skills
    Yes, I was watching for our local kid who placed a very respectable 4th (should’ve been 3rd). The Swiss kid that won looks ready for the adult podium.

It snowed 10cm last night down to 1000m but the forecast is now wall to wall sunshine for the next 10 days with the weather getting warmer. With that forecast are they likely to run the comp on the opening Saturday (23rd) to get the best snow conditions or do they need the Saturday for face check etc and would run it Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    Sounds like “skiing prodigy” is in your DNA?
    Not from me! I put them on the hill a bunch as kids and got very lucky with how they all ended up connecting with skiing.

I suspect they'd need day 1 for for face check as many competitors will not arrive until the night before, and athletes accommodations are probably not available until then. But ya never know.....

It snowed 10cm last night down to 1000m but the forecast is now wall to wall sunshine for the next 10 days with the weather getting warmer. With that forecast are they likely to run the comp on the opening Saturday (23rd) to get the best snow conditions or do they need the Saturday for face check etc and would run it Sunday?

How filled in is the face this year?