Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    Straight airs and ripping down the mountains is not enough anymore for a winning run at FWT. Maybe just in Verbier if someone opens up a new line. Trickery become a substantial part of freeriding at the highest level now. Even the girls are catching up. Since Hugo Harrisons perfectly executed straight airs there is not really much to add to it. And this was like what, 2001? Progression is necessary for every sport. I guess the average spectator joe doesn’t get a hard on at the beauty of a clean and fast executed fall line run, unlike maybe the average pow addict and gear whore who populates this place.
    I think you're right, but the problem I have is that a healthy chunk of the competitors seem to be avoiding a bunch of the gnarlier terrain because it's very, very difficult to throw tricks in there. Probably 50% of the men's field in Fieberbrunn took more or less the same looker's right line, because that line had lots of relatively low consequence, trickable opportunities.

Straight airs and ripping down the mountains is not enough anymore for a winning run at FWT. Maybe just in Verbier if someone opens up a new line. Trickery become a substantial part of freeriding at the highest level now. Even the girls are catching up. Since Hugo Harrisons perfectly executed straight airs there is not really much to add to it. And this was like what, 2001? Progression is necessary for every sport. I guess the average spectator joe doesn’t get a hard on at the beauty of a clean and fast executed fall line run, unlike maybe the average pow addict and gear whore who populates this place.
    This.

The only way to progress fast, straight airs is to take bigger airs. These guys are already hucking 50 footers to their feet, would you be happier if they were hitting 100 footers? If so, then we get back to the issue of rider safety, which has already been brought up in this thread. The sport is progressing in a freestyle direction, which is great. If you watch any of the old footage what were huge straight airs a few years ago are now being tricked. I am all for more tricks being thrown down because I'd rather watch a stylie flat three off a 25 foot cliff than watch people hot tub off 100 foot cliffs.

I really hope there's still a space for a creative line skied fast through technical terrain to win. Some of the standout moments (and wins) in the last few years have been trickless - Bimboes last year at Fieberbrunn and this one from Sam Smoothy in Andorra spring to mind:

Freeride World Tour - 2019

I’ll take watching high speed straight airs in technical and consequential terrain all day long over tricks on near-zero consequence hits. Eder’s run wasn’t anywhere near as inspiring to me as Turdell/Pollard/Bimboes. Disappointed with this direction of the FWT. Still fun to watch but would prefer scoring that emphasized the precision and power you need to confidently and reliably throw down in the way that the latter competitors did. Without that you might as well just call it another slopestyle event.

Definitely room for lots of lines like that at Andorra and Verbier. As we get closer to the finals the venues get more difficult and have less freestyle terrain....hence the field gets narrowed with less and less competitors.

Overall tour direction-easiest to hardest venue= japow to Verbier extreme

Japan=freestyle, if ur not tricking ur not winning

Golden= Intro to some big mountain terrain but you best still be tricking to be winning

Fieberburn=Midway- better know how to ski-Larger venue supports both styles but still any style can win. Field is cut for next venue

Andorra- supports big mtn over freestyle. Turdell and the big guns start to distant themselves from the trick skiers. Trick skiers weakness start to really show

Verbier only the best can even think about throwing a trick into a hit...this is what the tour is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    I really hope there's still a space for a creative line skied fast through technical terrain to win. Some of the standout moments (and wins) in the last few years have been trickless - Bimboes last year at Fieberbrunn and this one from Sam Smoothy in Andorra spring to mind:

Definitely. Smoothy's run is one of those that I remember. Same with Bimboes' canyon gap last year (and now this year).

It's rare that I remember a run that's more trick oriented unless there's some gnar included. Example: eder's verbier run last rear.

https://youtu.be/74Fw8mg5_BA

teamdirt just summed it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I’ll take watching high speed straight airs in technical and consequential terrain all day long over tricks on near-zero consequence hits. Eder’s run wasn’t anywhere near as inspiring to me as Turdell/Pollard/Bimboes. Disappointed with this direction of the FWT. Still fun to watch but would prefer scoring that emphasized the precision and power you need to confidently and reliably throw down in the way that the latter competitors did. Without that you might as well just call it another slopestyle event.
    Please keep in mind that no holding back skiing in highly consequential terrain leaves zero margin for errors. And errors happen. No one likes to see an athlete die or get badly injured. When I used to compete (long time ago and at fairly low level), people were dying taking too much risks. And for what? For a pair of new goggles and a ski? Fortunately this stopped because judges don’t reward just the gnarliest line and the biggest huck as winning run anymore. This is right and keeps the sport to a certain degree safe.
    Sam Smoothy´s winning run in Andorra was for me already slightly over the limit. I wouldn’t even reward this with the highest score.

No one likes to see an athlete die or get badly injured. When I used to compete (long time ago and at fairly low level), people were dying taking too much risks.
    I stopped competing when I discovered the best part of my day was having finished my run... and not the moments of being in it. I just chalked it up to not being capable with the new talent. That was around 2001/02 and seeing Ducroz throwing lincoln loops off cliffs at Kirkwood. I couldn't trick so I was trying to make up for it by going larger than I was comfortable.

I thought I predicted Zackrisson's retirement in '09 at hearing his interview in the finish coral, for a line he had to repel into... but he ended up competing one (?) more year.

Remember when Rodney hit the wall a few years back? Or Heitz was insisting on 100mph every run? It's just not sustainable. I was getting really frustrated watching that as Heitz was my favorite. I welcome the recent vibe of the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I thought I predicted Zackrisson's retirement in '09 at hearing his interview in the finish coral, for a line he had to repel into... but he ended up competing one (?) more year.

Thanks for posting that. He came in 7th. This run is equally insane, and also didn't win
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Thanks for posting that. He came in 7th. This run is equally insane, and also didn't win
    Yeah thanks for remembering that. I was also thinking at the time that kaj was going to leave it. Seemed like he figured it out that it's more fun when you have fun, that's what got the Swatch cup started?

I love bimboes, but I'm a bit scared for himas well. Reminds me of malakohv, as in go all in to win. He's a beast. Maybe someone can chime in who has experience with 4* qualies, but they always seemed tougher than the fwt itself. He used to ride ski and snowboard in the same qualies and podium on both.

Was bimboes riding stock cd114s because he fucked up the bases of his WAs? How many pairs has he got with him on comp day?

I'd also include that smoothly billygoating through technical sections isn't being rewarded enough anymore. It's an underrated skill.

Please keep in mind that no holding back skiing in highly consequential terrain leaves zero margin for errors. And errors happen. No one likes to see an athlete die or get badly injured. When I used to compete (long time ago and at fairly low level), people were dying taking too much risks. And for what? For a pair of new goggles and a ski? Fortunately this stopped because judges don’t reward just the gnarliest line and the biggest huck as winning run anymore. This is right and keeps the sport to a certain degree safe.
    Sam Smoothy´s winning run in Andorra was for me already slightly over the limit. I wouldn’t even reward this with the highest score.
    I never said no holding back. The athletes should still ski within their limits. Severely penalizing things like backslaps or bobbles in consequential terrain can do the same thing - encourage safe (but still inspiring) riding.

I’d consider high speed straight airs in technical and consequential terrain as well as full throttle fall line skiing in such terrain without the chance to stop or even significantly slow down in a reasonable time as no holding back.
    Hucking in obvious no fall zones is per se pretty stupid and shouldn’t be rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by McDee View Post
    Yeah thanks for remembering that. I was also thinking at the time that kaj was going to leave it. Seemed like he figured it out that it's more fun when you have fun, that's what got the Swatch cup started?

I love bimboes, but I'm a bit scared for himas well. Reminds me of malakohv, as in go all in to win. He's a beast. Maybe someone can chime in who has experience with 4* qualies, but they always seemed tougher than the fwt itself. He used to ride ski and snowboard in the same qualies and podium on both.

Was bimboes riding stock cd114s because he fucked up the bases of his WAs? How many pairs has he got with him on comp day?
    We have a full team of techs there with 5 sets of skis ready to go He told me he super fucked up his last pair due to a huge crash a few days before the comp. decided not to mount another pair and skied Solan’s 196 with those new 2015 tyrolia peaks we picked up on super sale a few years back from Spidejon. #spancered #bigmoney
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Hucking in obvious no fall zones is per se pretty stupid and shouldn’t be rewarded.
    Soooo... the Verbier stop should just be canceled?

Most don't understand the judging or the IFSA Mandate to promote safe riding which directly reflects the scores. Lets start with the phillosophy of the riding and direction they are pushing you in terms of being a competitor.

https://youtu.be/p1RsJp-IYPQ

And for those that don't know the IFSA is the body that sanctions these contests and has developed the judging protocol and scoring followed out by certified judges at each event from Jr comps to the World freeride tour.
    Last edited by teamdirt; 02-27-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Most don't understand the judging or the IFSA Mandate to promote safe riding which directly reflects the scores. Lets start with the phillosophy of the riding and direction they are pushing you in terms of being a competitor.

https://youtu.be/p1RsJp-IYPQ

And for those that don't know the IFSA is the body that sanctions these contests and has developed the judging protocol and scoring followed out by certified judges at each event from Jr comps to the World freeride tour.
    You are mistaken. The IFSA sanctions and judges all North and South American stops that are not the FWT. This includes all Jr and FWQ events. They have a partnership with the FWT to run the FWQ in North and South America and then feed people into the FWT.

The FWT is sanctioned by the FWT and uses the FWT judging.

The IFSA, more so Canada, is very focussed on safety and looking for smart skiing with good tech and decision making. We have protocol that enforces and encourages it. According to the FWT, they focus on safety and good skiing for the younger guys and let it get looser for the FWQ/FWT. Judging by past World Jrs they sanction, it's a fair bit looser there too.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    You are mistaken. The IFSA sanctions and judges all North and South American stops that are not the FWT. This includes all Jr and FWQ events. They have a partnership with the FWT to run the FWQ in North and South America and then feed people into the FWT.

The FWT is sanctioned by the FWT and uses the FWT judging.

The IFSA, more so Canada, is very focussed on safety and looking for smart skiing with good tech and decision making. We have protocol that enforces and encourages it. According to the FWT, they focus on safety and good skiing for the younger guys and let it get looser for the FWQ/FWT. Judging by past World Jrs they sanction, it's a fair bit looser there too.
    Does FWT state its scoring philosophy anywhere?
    sproing!

The announcers have referenced the safety 'clause' in passing several tines this year in stating that the judges do not like to be scared.

I was thinking the same thing as Meter-man. After all Jim Jack (RIP) is the one that set the Manuel for judging for the IFSA and also was head judge of the FWT when he did it.

I didn’t realize the FWT was a different sanctioned body for the judging. I thought it was all under a very similar Umbrella in terms of application and scoring. It only makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Does FWT state its scoring philosophy anywhere?
    https://www.freerideworldtour.com/about-judging
    https://www.freerideworldtour.com/at...dbooks-judging

This is the biggie
    https://www.freerideworldtour.com/si...ules_tools.pdf

COMMENCE ARMCHAIR JUDGING!

ETA: Craig Murray is apparently out for the season.
    Last edited by meter-man; 02-27-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    sproing!

Folks, again: THE FWT IS A BUSINESS owned by a guy. It scores the way it wants to and that can sometimes be influenced by who they want to keep on the tour. Big names=more eyeballs=more sponsorship $. Example: the guys with RedBull helmets get RedBull promotion = more links back to FWT website=$$$ etc., etc., etc.

The announcers are just that: announcers. Their comments have no bearing on what the judges are doing in the pit.

IFSA has no sanctioning authority in the European region. Only in NA. Completely different scoring and judging system.

And while I'm ranting, I get a little tired of "it's not the score that matters but the ranking". WTF? If you don't score you're ranked lower for fucks sake! How does the score not matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I'd also include that smoothly billygoating through technical sections isn't being rewarded enough anymore. It's an underrated skill.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    And while I'm ranting, I get a little tired of "it's not the score that matters but the ranking". WTF? If you don't score you're ranked lower for fucks sake! How does the score not matter?
    If this was directed towards me, my point was that I know it doesn't really matter if somone wins with an 85 or a 99, as long as it's the top run ... but I don't understand why Eder's Fieberbrunn run was so scored so much higher than the others because it's indicative of where the judges thought his level of riding was compared to the others.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos