Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Navarro doubled up the top better than anyone else, including Turdell. Then completely stomped the other 3 hits, one of which he was the only one to hit all day. I thought Slemett's run was maybe top 5 (and pretty boring), but I think the linescore should be more important than being able to spin 3 times in the same direction.
    I think Navarro's reaction to the score was very telling.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

You definitely can not debate Eder was last followed by tanner and Griffin.... Judges nailed those ones.

Rest is debatable. Venue sucked!

Wadek's run was so misplaced....

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    You definitely can not debate Eder was last followed by tanner and Griffin.... Judges nailed those ones.

Rest is debatable. Venue sucked!

Wadek's run was so misplaced....
    So is it now ok to finish without all your gear? I was surprised to see Liam's 46 after finishing without a pole and breaking and throwing the second before the finish.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

fkna oftpiste, I thought he was gonna slide into the 11-12 spots. Vibes to Thing 2. He made us proud!

Are you responsible for the female Patterson (Thing 3?) leading the FWQ skier women too??? https://www.freerideworldtour.com/ra...subcategory=16
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Judging was goofy. A bunch of small 360's shouldn't beat fast charging with big airs and tricks thrown in.

But whatever. Still an entertaining event to watch. Looking forward to Verbier.
    This. Turdell's run, especially, was so much better than Slemet's. How can someone win a comp when most of the field skis a more a aggressive line?

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Sadly, he did not make it through. Lots of long faces in the thing family today. Super bummed is putting it lightly.

11 are shown as qualified and he's the logical guy to get added since there're usually 12. Everybody pray (or whatever you do) for a miracle that somehow they throw him a bone. I am.

I really appreciate all the love and support y'll have offered up to him.
    Shit, sorry man. When i checked they obviously hadn't updated the scores yet. Thats a real bummer...

I agree Turdell should have beaten Slemett.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Sadly, he did not make it through. Lots of long faces in the thing family today. Super bummed is putting it lightly.

11 are shown as qualified and he's the logical guy to get added since there're usually 12. Everybody pray (or whatever you do) for a miracle that somehow they throw him a bone. I am.

I really appreciate all the love and support y'll have offered up to him.
    Fingers crossed too and he should get a spot along with Reine to Verb. Craig is out I think so they need to fill the field. That being said the shaft has come before.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Thanks everyone. So bummed.

No, Emma's not mine. She's the sister of Jon Clay (a contemporary of B's), good friend of Rachel C's and daughter of Doug. Those kids shred.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    fkna oftpiste, I thought he was gonna slide into the 11-12 spots. Vibes to Thing 2. He made us proud!

Are you responsible for the female Patterson (Thing 3?) leading the FWQ skier women too??? https://www.freerideworldtour.com/ra...subcategory=16
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Couldn’t believe Turdell didn’t take the top spot...but I guess it’s tricky to judge on a weird venue like this.
    Thought I saw somewhere on IG that Reine was going to Verbier as a wildcard (but I could be mistaken...)

Oft, bummed about the cut off. I felt like Thing 2 was almost there at each stop this year. His line choice was great and it is very evident he is a strong skier. Bummed to see him miss the cut.

Is he skiing on the 192 or 188 Rustler 11s?

Curious as to Eder's choice to not take a easy cruiser lap with a few standard 3s and slide into a top 6 spot. Though it makes for better entertainment to not have the winner decided going into Verbier, seems like a risky strategy to pull bigger tricks on that un-stompy snow. Who knows, maybe big flat 3's are standard for him?

Also, I'm no judge, but audibly exclaimed "smooth" on Pollard's first 3 off the top. He didn't even blink on that landing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Scoring Slemmet over Turdell was incomprehensible. Still love watching Turdell ski, and was impressed by Navarro’s aggression and legs of steel. Tanner skied like he didn’t belong. Weird childish tantrum from Liam Pfieffer.

I'm no tantrum fan, but walk a mile in the shoes of these young guys that have spent their entire youths chasing this dream. You realize 3 guys from region 1 get to the FWT a year? Any idea how hard that is to achieve?

Many of the older guys got there in a different way and if they fall off often get reinstated. Many - especially Euros - get paid year 'round by big sponsors and actually make a living. Not so much for the other, especially young, NA guys. They acquired points as juniors so they could get in to 4* FWQ's, busted ass competing and traveling, worked in some shitty job all summer, slept in their cars, scrimped and saved, begged borrowed and stole to travel and buy airfares, put their educations on hold to chase the dream.

I hate to see that and he probably should have handled it better, but I get how he could have been that upset.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Scoring Slemmet over Turdell was incomprehensible. Still love watching Turdell ski, and was impressed by Navarro’s aggression and legs of steel. Tanner skied like he didn’t belong. Weird childish tantrum from Liam Pfieffer.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post
    Curious as to Eder's choice to not take a easy cruiser lap with a few standard 3s and slide into a top 6 spot. Though it makes for better entertainment to not have the winner decided going into Verbier, seems like a risky strategy to pull bigger tricks on that un-stompy snow. Who knows, maybe big flat 3's are standard for him?
    Eder has been filming for several years with MSP and is all set, he doesn't really give a shit about being strategic to win the overall. He doesn't need it. He's just out there ripping and having fun, which I really appreciate.

Oftpiste - bummer about Berkeley just missing the cut - hope he gets a wildcard to Verbier. While he could obviously ski circles around me, having watched him the last two years I'm thinking he could benefit from a ski with some slightly stiffer tails that will keep him forward just a touch more on the landings. He's a few mild backslaps away from being right in the mix this season. Literally a matter of inches, because they weren't hard slaps or anything. And we know with Hugo at the judging table that will kill your scores.

Yeah, I've encouraged him working with Bliz to get a very specific comp ski with a super stiff tail. He seems to believe he doesn't have the juice to make such a request. I suspect they'd listen, but....I've also encouraged notching up from 188 but he feels like the 188 is easier to spin.

Yeah, you're right. Too many of those this year and he wouldn't argue. At the risk of getting firehoused with accusations, I feel like some backslaps are more forgiven than others depending on who does them, even if they're similar in quality. Which is pretty frustrating.

I find it interesting that the girl winning every FWQ event in Japan is on the Volkl M5. She has the entire 2020 quiver, but has chosen the M5 for every event from pow to corn. I've been chatting a bit with her on facebook and she's like-- "Yeah, this is my comp ski. It's my everything ski."

I don't know if that says more about the field, the skier, or the ski, but it is cool to see someone click with their gear. It must be rad when your pow ski, corn ski, and comp ski are all the same thing.

Oft, vibes to Berk, loved watching him and hope he comes back. Also want to thank you for taking the time to explain everything.

Oft, thanks for the reply. That’s what I was getting at with the question about the 188 vs 192. Might be just a bit stiffer tails. Hard to offer advice to these guys when I’m nowhere near their level. But I was curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

That's a huge bummer about #2. Fingers crossed that good luck aligns and he gets a spot in Verbier.

And yeah, from my short time on the rustler 11, it didn't strike me as a go straight and huck huge kind of ski. I've been super impressed at what those guys are doing on that ski knowing that they're on the stock version. It really highlights the fact that I suck, and it means I can't blame my ineptitude on the ski. Which is unfortunate - I love blaming the equipment.

Watched the Andorra event last night. The judging was wack, women’s scores perhaps even more confusing than men’s. The venue was too small. If they needed another day to prep a bigger venue, they should have.

I personally have not enjoyed the fwt nearly as much this year as years past. I feel like some of the other previous venues like Chamonix were more interesting and that athletes used to be rewarded for bigger risk taking and fall line skiing with maybe a trick thrown in.

Now the rewards seem to come from noodling around the low angle zones and traversing cross venue to link every little roller together with a small trick.

I think it would be cool (perhaps logistically impossible) to have each location event be 2 days of skiing to give the athletes a chance to get more consistent score. Perhaps even 1 day could be purposefully on a BC freestyle type venue and the second a big mountain style venue and have the judging standards according to the venue type.

I think if they’d do that, there would be far more interesting things happening on both the freestyle and freeride fronts. Perhaps even on freestyle event have some more manicured takeoffs like redbull line catcher, so athletes could go for bigger tricks more safely and easily.

Then take the 2 scores from each venue event and average them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post

I personally have not enjoyed the fwt nearly as much this year as years past. I feel like some of the other previous venues like Chamonix were more interesting and that athletes used to be rewarded for bigger risk taking and fall line skiing with maybe a trick thrown in.
    Agreed. As much as anything, I think I've come to the conclusion that the whole series should be in Europe.

The Japan stop sucks. The kicking horse stop is lame. Yes, good terrain exists in those areas, but for various reasons, the comp doesn't get held on that terrain.

Even the Andorra stop with its shitty snow and, by Europe standards, mediocre terrain, was still better than Japan and kicking horse.

I get that it's the "world tour," but I just want to watch good skiing on good terrain. And the Europe venues are better for that.

Anyone know what's wrong with Reine? Jackie Paaso's instagram makes it seem like he's got some sort of illness or injury.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Floating transition 360s can be interesting if they are HUGE and slowly rotated (or better yet over a gap), but Slemmet's were all off of smallish features and not all that clean looking. He stomped the tricky bush landing, but that was the only exciting thing he did.

Turdell had a bigger and better 3, a sweet straight line to start in exposure, a backflip, and the best straight air of the comp with that early take off over the bottom rocks. His turns were much more dialed too. Did the judges underscore him because he went around the back to start where it was a little harder to see him when he transitioned over with the backflip and 3? That seems ridiculous.

Andrew Pollard charged, threw a 3 off of a real feature, and hit the same bush drop as Slemmet, but scored 9 points lower? Really, two throw-away small 3s over rollers and across the fall line is worth that many points?

Sorry to hear P. We're all proud of the dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Sorry to hear P. We're all proud of the dude.
    Some guys currently on the list for Verbier won’t probably show up there for different reasons, i.e. injuries, filming projects or whatever. It’s happening every year. The chances for Berkeley to start on the Bec are still pretty high.