Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I wonder what the other athletes on tour think of thall? I bet this is the first time being around him for the vast majority so they can see if public perception matches the reality.
    I recently listened to a Powell Movement interview w/Tanner. Certainly changed my perception.

Oftpiste, can you ask your son 1) if he or the other guys will disclose/discuss their lines before hand and more interestingly 2) if they will alter their line after seeing other guys ski them?

Really curious as to the process of line selection. I’m fascinated by the fact that these guys do all this on visual inspection only. I’ll throw some tricks, but only on lines I have absolutely dialed in the resort. Trying to wrap my head around the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

^^^ there is definitely discussion among some. It tends to be primarily a thing among the groups of athletes that roll together other than comp day, and there are a few. They inspect (binocs, notes, pics) together, stand in front of the big image in the athlete lounge at the hotel (for hours) together drinking beers, and talk at the start. Especially if they're room mates.

Same goes with line adjustments. The guys that roll together and inspect together sometimes communicate after their runs if there's cel reception, usually by text but it's generally minor. "that one you were going to flat? The tranny's blown out...." etc. But usually they've spent so much time figuring out where they're going (landmarks, trees, features that look completely different from afar than when you're on top of them), and that in itself is so challenging through foggy binocs across a valley, that they're pretty committed by the time they drop and have to deal with whatever ends up underfoot.

That's the thing I think makes all these guys so badass. They're all stupid good skiers, and lots of guys can ski like that when they're out for a rip. Not many have the chops or the intestinal fortitude to think on their split-second feet and still throw down under that kind of competition pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Just saw Kye's Insta story explaining his line choice. I dunno -- seemed like lots of excuses and humble bragging. Like, "I put literally zero effort into this and just followed some tracks" style stuff. Seems like pretty poor form, especially considering the riders who showed up on time and tried hard but didn't place as well this time for various reasons.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Thanks Oftpiste. That is good to know.

Also just read Kye’s Insta story. Lame. Love how he makes the excuse of the comp format being unsuitable to his liking and how it could be so much more like “other” sports. What a middle finger to throw up to the FWT and all the guys who have figured out a way to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post
    Thanks Oftpiste. That is good to know.

Also just read Kye’s Insta story. Lame. Love how he makes the excuse of the comp format being unsuitable to his liking and how it could be so much more like “other” sports. What a middle finger to throw up to the FWT and all the guys who have figured out a way to win.
    To be fair, if you listen to Kye's Powell Podcast interview from like 2 weeks ago he said a bunch of this stuff in advance - before he was even announced as a wild card.

That venue sucked for showcasing the best riders in the sport(s). Some of the skiers and riders have ugly styles. T Rice is just insane! [checks mirror, seeing if someone can video so I can check my style/]

Just went back and watched the snowboarding since I’d become accustomed to skipping it out of boredom. Damn, Travis Rice really threw down - that was awesome. He’s going to dominate.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I think it's a little premature to start using Tanner's quote about tricks against him just one venue in. It seems to me he played it pretty smart for a tour rookie - in his first ever FWT comp, and with a visual inspection on a face that seemed tricky for all the riders to figure out big hits on, he managed to podium with a cork 3, a back flip and another 3. It's a very solid start that sets him up well and I imagine we'll see him throw bigger tricks once he's settled in a bit in the upcoming comps. If we get to Verbier and we've seen nothing but threes and flips from him then let rip. Personally I'd be surprised if we don't see a double back or a cork 7 attempt from him at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Good points, sorry I wasn't quite understanding where you were coming from.

I never saw Kye fall, oftpiste. Clearly he lost control for a bit but he didn't fall. Berkley's run didn't hit enough features, IMO.

As for ugly style, I think Bimbo has the most awkward pole plants and style of anyone.
    I never realized he was on a monoski
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    I think it's a little premature to start using Tanner's quote about tricks against him just one venue in. It seems to me he played it pretty smart for a tour rookie - in his first ever FWT comp, and with a visual inspection on a face that seemed tricky for all the riders to figure out big hits on, he managed to podium with a cork 3, a back flip and another 3. It's a very solid start that sets him up well and I imagine we'll see him throw bigger tricks once he's settled in a bit in the upcoming comps. If we get to Verbier and we've seen nothing but threes and flips from him then let rip. Personally I'd be surprised if we don't see a double back or a cork 7 attempt from him at some point.
    I think in a few ways this was the best venue on tour for him. He'll have opportunities to do tricks, and bigger tricks at other venues, but he'll have to skip some of the features that'll likely score better to do so.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

^^^This. The consequences of features only get bigger from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I think in a few ways this was the best venue on tour for him. He'll have opportunities to do tricks, and bigger tricks at other venues, but he'll have to skip some of the features that'll likely score better to do so.
    That may well be so, but having watched the runs I don't think this venue was as straightforward as it appeared when it came to the airs - lots of strong skiers seemed to be getting hung up a bit on smaller hits and seemed to struggle finding bigger take offs and trannies. He has the air sense to stomp some bigger tricks on some bigger features at the other venues but there's definitely a question mark over whether he can ski those bigger, more technical venues aggressively and in control enough - he looked very loose in between the tricks compared to many others. It'll be fascinating to watch and I'm glad he's on the tour whatever happens.

I really don't know how Kye placed where he did with that loss of control behind the trees, I assume the judges didn't see that?

I don’t care what the rest of your run looks like. If you snowplow into a hit, you should not be on the podium. Tanner. 4th hit. 1:30 into the video. Screenshot wouldn’t post for some reason.
    https://youtu.be/zq7HIPHcZBY

To me it looked like he did it to set up the three and to dump speed so as he could hit the next feature which others missed due to coming out of that hit to hot.

Freeride World Tour - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    To me it looked like he did it to set up the three and to dump speed so as he could hit the next feature which others missed due to coming out of that hit to hot.
    I don’t disagree. It was definitely a speed check, and the remainder of the run was probably better for it. My personal opinion, though, is that in a competition judging the best in the world on overall impression of technical freeskiing prowess (i.e. their five laid out criteria) that specific move is one that just can’t be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    That may well be so, but having watched the runs I don't think this venue was as straightforward as it appeared when it came to the airs - lots of strong skiers seemed to be getting hung up a bit on smaller hits and seemed to struggle finding bigger take offs and trannies. He has the air sense to stomp some bigger tricks on some bigger features at the other venues but there's definitely a question mark over whether he can ski those bigger, more technical venues aggressively and in control enough - he looked very loose in between the tricks compared to many others. It'll be fascinating to watch and I'm glad he's on the tour whatever happens.

I really don't know how Kye placed where he did with that loss of control behind the trees, I assume the judges didn't see that?
    I think there were a lot of hot pow to pow transitions within the venue, and a bunch of shit to get snagged on.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    I don’t disagree. It was definitely a speed check, and the remainder of the run was probably better for it. My personal opinion, though, is that in a competition judging the best in the world on overall impression of technical freeskiing prowess (i.e. their five laid out criteria) that specific move is one that just can’t be forgiven.
    “He shoulda French-fried instead of pizza-d” -Overheard at the judges table

Lol

Why is a quick snow plow any different than a quick hockey stop speed check? No loss of control, just a legitimate use of a tool in the tool box.

Idk man. Landing 3 separate flippy spinny tricks on a steep tight face with funky snow in your first big mtn comp ever on the biggest stage possible with only a visual inspection... That's pretty darn good. I think you may be underestimating the difficulty and control consequences of tricking vs straight airing.

Also, Tanner knows competition skiing. Really really well. I would expect him to be very smart with risk management and line/trick choice.

Is Tanner the smallest dude on the tour this year? Seems like most of the men are bigger guys. That may play to his advantage on bigger faces and airs on upcoming events. I'm excited for next round!

^Exactly. Plus he’s not the only one I have seen use the wedge to set themselves up for an air, esp for a three.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Why is a quick snow plow any different than a quick hockey stop speed check? No loss of control, just a legitimate use of a tool in the tool box.
    For the same reason no one in the NBA shoots their free throws granny style.

For the same reason no one in the NBA shoots their free throws granny style.
    Rick Barry (89% free throw shooter for his career and was almost at 95% in 78-79)
    Canyon Barry
    George Mikan
    George Johnson
    Chinanu Onuaku

that reason?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Rick Barry (89% free throw shooter for his career and was almost at 95% in 78-79)
    Canyon Barry
    George Mikan
    George Johnson
    Chinanu Onuaku

that reason?
    Modern players won’t do it despite it being proven effective because they think it looks stupid. When your goal is to objectively score more points than the other team I actually think that’s a stupid reason and that a lot of players would benefit from shooting granny style. But if they were being judged for say fluidity, technicality, and style (like the FWT) it would be a perfectly acceptable rationale.

If the goal was just to objectively slow down, sure, a snowplow is just as effective as a hockey speed check. But that’s not the case in a subjectively judged competition. In my mind, it’s such an un-stylish way of speed checking it should not be rewarded with a spot on the podium.

But if they were being judged for say fluidity, technicality, and style (like the FWT) it would be a perfectly acceptable rationale.
    Any yet Tanner was being judged on those criteria and still podiumed. I guess the judges see it differently to you.