Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1110
    Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    It appears that when the snow gets inconsistent and difficult, for lack of better terms- Riding one Edge is a Handicap ,compared to Riding 2 Edges

the Athletes are in similar physical conditioning

their Knowledge of the terrain is similar based on experience ,and on par w skiers at same experience lvl

+Any Riders do Both???and can chime in???
    That seems like a reasonable theory. Japan was pretty close since it was clean pow... since then not so much. Luebke and Le Rue are clearly on another level amongst the boarders and I doubt their talent is less than all of the skiers.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

It appears that when the snow gets inconsistent and difficult, for lack of better terms- Riding one Edge is a Handicap ,compared to Riding 2 Edges

their Knowledge of the terrain is similar based on experience ,and on par w skiers at same experience lvl

I would definitely agree with that assessment and that's what I see around here as well, not that many powder days and the 2 edges of skis tend to have an advantage it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    That seems like a reasonable theory. Japan was pretty close since it was clean pow... since then not so much. Luebke and Le Rue are clearly on another level amongst the boarders and I doubt their talent is less than all of the skiers.
    I guess Eder and VDLR took some of the same/similar lines as Eder went more freestyle in many of his runs it seemed.
    However, none of the boarders really hit any of the larger features/terrain or went as big as the skiers did. I can't help but think of Kicking Horse with the skiers going huge in a completely different zone and the skiers doing bigger cliffs in Verbier. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say any of these guys are subpar or anything. I guess there's skiers and boarders people would want on the tour if possible so it's tough to nitpick or complain about talent level or star power on either side. It really would have been cool to see Travis Rice do the whole tour. Perhaps I should go back and watch some of Xavier's runs.

Klassen's run from the top this last event was awesome and I think he should have been scored higher, but I don't think he cared about his score to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    What North American venues would you all like to see?

I loved Alaska, but obviously the weather and travel was too much for most athletes to deal with.

I thought it was primarily weather and low snow that got the tour stops nixed in NA.

1. The Mackenzie Face at Revvy
    2. Snowbird
    3. Kirkwood
    4. Moonlight/Headwaters

How do they compare size wise with the euro stops?

Also, I believe Hakuba has bigger terrain, but maybe Gaijin could weigh in on that?
    I've posted it before, but this is the originally proposed venue for Hakuba '17.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fwq4-_face_preview_picture_of_the_riding_face.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	929.1 KB 
ID:	276051

Hakuba's problem is timing. Japan gets a January stop, which is basically Japan's blizzard month. In '17 one of the guides doing recon pre-event was hospitalized from a slide that hit him from above. He was in a coma when I was there and I don't know how he came out. (Can anyone update? I'll ask a friend soon...)

Even on a low snow year, January is avi season out there. I guess it is anywhere. But it's not just securing the safety of the venue, it's securing the safety of all those faces that drop into the same exit as the venue. Nobody wants to hang out in that valley after their line. Give us a March, or even an April stop and things would be different.

That said, the FWQ/J Japan organizer had 8 events this winter. He has been solving logistics like a mad man so I would expect there are other venues that will come into play in the future.

Hakuba has big terrain. It's just riddled with non-venue related dangers. In 2004 I posted a pic of the exact same venue in the photo above either on TGR or SnowJapan forums and nonchalantly proposed an event out here. People in the industry called it then-- "Way too dangerous out there, dude." Which is why I attended the '17 Hakuba debut. It was literally the exact same venue I had been dreaming of for 13 years. But then the venue changed due to avi hazard. A meter of snow fell the day prior.

Freeride World Tour - 2019

That Hakuba face looks pretty sweet for sure...those are some big hits in the middle.

That Hakuba face is in a massive terrain trap.

The performance check feature with Bimboes and Gorak is so good. Beyond entertaining. This and everything else about this years Verbier is so, so good. It's awesomeness is festering in may mind and only getting awesomer.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    That Hakuba face is in a massive terrain trap.
    Don’t worry, they’ll just call it slough or a small release. ;-)

It’s always just slough!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VJseM2HjPvk

Freeride World Tour - 2019

Even when the conditions are superb (i.e. AK), the skiers throw down bigger. Only time I’ve ever seen a run that belongs in the top 3 with the skiers is that Travis Rice run, and thats only on a venue that favors style.

Looking at the local talent, skiers land bigger stuff here too. My closest partner was a boarder, just couldn’t land the same stuff, same with the other boarders I ride with from time to time.

Maybe its just coincidence, but I really think facing sideways and having shorter length is just more difficult. It’s easier to shut down with two longer edges also, but that’s definitely not the whole story.

They don’t seem to be having less fun tho, thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Even when the conditions are superb (i.e. AK), the skiers throw down bigger. Only time I’ve ever seen a run that belongs in the top 3 with the skiers is that Travis Rice run, and thats only on a venue that favors style.

Looking at the local talent, skiers land bigger stuff here too. My closest partner was a boarder, just couldn’t land the same stuff, same with the other boarders I ride with from time to time.

Maybe its just coincidence, but I really think facing sideways and having shorter length is just more difficult. It’s easier to shut down with two longer edges also, but that’s definitely not the whole story.

They don’t seem to be having less fun tho, thats for sure.
    As a boarder who rides with 99% skiers, i agree with this. The one edge thing is for sure a thing in less then ideal conditions. Especially on slower technical lines where precision is key. I also think facing straight on for airs allows for more leg and butt strength to be utilized on landing. So you can be a little more off balance and go into a backslap and then be able to shut it down quicker as well. Snowboarding you basically have to handle it all thru the back leg, and its very difficult to ride out of something where the snow was something other than expected.

I also will say that snowboarding is quite new compared to skiing, and your only just starting to see people who grew up snowboarding mature to an age where they are full grown adults. Still there are very few snowboarders on Blackcomb who ride similar to stuff to what I enjoy. Much more of a side hit and park scene for snowboarders than serious big mountain lines.

It would be great if they brought Revelstoke back, but our frequently shitty weather makes holding an event here tough. Both venues they've used here are great.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    As a boarder who rides with 99% skiers, i agree with this. The one edge thing is for sure a thing in less then ideal conditions. Especially on slower technical lines where precision is key. I also think facing straight on for airs allows for more leg and butt strength to be utilized on landing. So you can be a little more off balance and go into a backslap and then be able to shut it down quicker as well. Snowboarding you basically have to handle it all thru the back leg, and its very difficult to ride out of something where the snow was something other than expected.

I also will say that snowboarding is quite new compared to skiing, and your only just starting to see people who grew up snowboarding mature to an age where they are full grown adults. Still there are very few snowboarders on Blackcomb who ride similar to stuff to what I enjoy. Much more of a side hit and park scene for snowboarders than serious big mountain lines.
    I agree, with similar talent skiers will always be faster and go bigger than riders in my experience. I haven’t skied in twenty five years, but I think being able to easily square up to fall line makes a huge difference - much easier to stomp when you’re facing forward. Legs being able to move independently makes things easier to absorb too I assume.
    I'm taking myself to a dirty part of town, where all my troubles can't be found...

Quote Originally Posted by BCtransplant View Post
    I agree, with similar talent skiers will always be faster and go bigger than riders in my experience. I haven’t skied in twenty five years, but I think being able to easily square up to fall line makes a huge difference - much easier to stomp when you’re facing forward. Legs being able to move independently makes things easier to absorb too I assume.
    I agree with everyone on the one edge vs two edges being a big factor, but I also think the independent legs vs confined legs matter too. I kind of look at it like a duel suspension mountain bike vs a hardtail. If conditions are smooth and perfect then the top level snowboarders can probably hang right with a top skier, but as soon as things become bumpy and variable the snowboarders can't touch the skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    i disagree with the age of snowboarding part. When I moved to tahoe back in 94 the Hatchetts were on TB3 I think and they were doing way bigger lines than any skiers. I've always been an avid skier but there was a period when I watched snowboarding movies exclusively because what they were doing was so far ahead of skiers. Then the skis got fat.

edit-and damn. i forgot about victoria jealouse

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    i disagree with the age of snowboarding part. When I moved to tahoe back in 94 the Hatchetts were on TB3 I think and they were doing way bigger lines than any skiers. I've always been an avid skier but there was a period when I watched snowboarding movies exclusively because what they were doing was so far ahead of skiers. Then the skis got fat.

edit-and damn. i forgot about victoria jealouse

Nice movie .. lots o action

All the Old Punk Rock gave me flash backs of the High Tide Café in Asbury... some real hardcore motherfuckers used to hang there..it became the Fast Lane -no idea if they still host shows
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Snowboarding saved skiing, in so may ways. And correct me if i am wrong but was Verbier not originally a snowboarding event?

In the intervening years since the first wave of snowboarding however, the sport's limitations have reared their head. Snowboards are toys, fun toys, but toys nonetheless. They were conceived as such and as with all toys they have serious limitations, many of which were mentioned above. Skis are tools, that's what they were originally designed for. They are fun tools, but tools nonetheless and as such their use value is far greater than any toy can ever be.

Not sure about where you guys are from but beyond the park and some chill runs, i seem to see less and less snowboarders around here. Most of the serious semi serious snowboarders i know have stopped going to the hill or touring and basically don't ride anymore (a few exceptions for sure). Basically, snowboarding sucks and it's suckiness is on full display on the FWT.

...except that Steve Klassen guy. He f*cking rocks!
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 03-28-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    They are scoping new terrain in behind Kicking Horse that will blow Ozone away.
    So Ozone north?? ( girl friend and toilet bowl) or somewhere else??
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    So Ozone north?? ( girl friend and toilet bowl) or somewhere else??
    Further I assume. I would guess the slopes across canyon creek. They were flying around after the stop, having a look out there

The exposure at the 10min mark in the clip - you don't do that with a toy. All though I can live being a tool.

Definitely fewer boarders and they coalesce around features instead of the fall line.
    ​I am not in your hurry

I am so happy this thread came to an end this season. I thought in the beginning it is cool to talk nerd fwt stuff, but it seemed to me some you did not ride enough pow this winter! I dis not care about low ranks before. Now seeing what happens rank#5 -#10 buhhh it is brutal. When every point counts for you staying on tour... tough shit!! And i also agree does guys riding there lives for our entertainment.... actual it is a perversion. But comp freeriding has nothing todo with skiing same as the streif or rondo races.
    So this over and over discussed wildcard issue of tanner hall WTF
    Let him ride it! He is a well known skier and rides better and more then people judging here. If you like him or not. Ok pulling out if verbier made me wonder. As the whole tour is just warm ufor the bec.
    And did markus eder or victor de la rue ride FWQ?????? So they stole the titles as they did not go through the ranks!
    Correct me if i am wrong.

So japan stop and all the venue complaining. It is good to stay the tour in Japan. One of the view places where there is pow and faces are well filled that time of the year. And the Norway and Russia stop sucked imo.

There is no other bec and that's for areason.
    Complaining about the guys behind the mic.... fuuuck Ever watched a surfing contest? They really have to talk about shit cause in a 30min heat there is not much happening. Have you listened how they down talk wind and small waves at jbay? So. I think it is ok. And to bolts where is the problem. Mcfly and williman are a great combo. Williman quote:"The take off is so far gone out of his brain until he lands" best one this season for me

Different judging for bcfreestyle and freeriding plus shaped takeoffs.... check skierscup it had all of above mentioned plus seth and jp...

Cant remeber more what annoyed me here....

Thanks for the snowboardmovie link..... i guess the golden era of snowboarding.

And yes the skiers vs snowboard discussion so 1995!!! And excellent end to a real garbage thread...

And yaaeah one more thing... the FWT is corrupt and they hand the result list to the judges. It is not the formula one with bernie Ecclestone runin real big dollars.

Thanks to the fwt for doing this for my entertainment and big up to all the riders.

PEACE

Post, THEN smoke crack

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Smoke crack THEN post.
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    FIFY
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Post, THEN smoke crack
    This, or maybe just don't post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

All it takes is one snooty European to bring all of us North Americans back together! ;-)