Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    So, THall's comfort zone, then...

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    So, THall's comfort zone, then...
    It was actually pretty interesting hearing Tanner on the Low Pressure Podcast the other day. He was all set for that diving board that both Eder and Murray hit and was going to do a double backflip, but at the last second something didn't feel right so he just threw a three instead. He knew at that point his chances of winning were over so he just enjoyed the rest of the run and skipped the other take-off. He came off as pretty humble about the whole FWT experience in general and said he was still learning a lot.

Good for him for backing away from the original plan when something didn't feel right. I always respect that.

I have high hopes for Tanner. I want to see him bridge the gap he's trying to bridge. But it'll take some time. I predict at least a season of being on these venues just to learn the terrain before he'll be able to lay down lines like those who have actually skied some of these venues before.

My wages were on technical skiers for today. But with a mellower venue, maybe the trickery will shine again. I wouldn't doubt that Tabke pulls something out of his hat with this one. Having not seen the terrain, knowing that it's a Jr's face, I suspect there won't be enough for Turdell, et al to shine.

I'll be tuning in live, as always.

Go #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^^this. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Oftpiste- seeing Berkeley is towards the end of the group this time, is he going to check in with you from the top for some beta? Standard procedure?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

We've never done that. There's often some communication from other riders (there are groups of guys who tend to hang together on the tour and help each other out) but it's not his thing to get it from me. He knows what he's doing and believes in that, and I love that he's that way.

I usually talk to him the day before, send a text with love and support shortly before his run and hear from him at some point after.

He gets very quiet and in his own zone before dropping. He's given me the sense that he doesn't need that from me and the last thing I want to do is create some anomaly in his concentration and routine. Of course, if he asked I'd help but until then......

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Oftpiste- seeing Berkeley is towards the end of the group this time, is he going to check in with you from the top for some beta? Standard procedure?

Good luck, Oft!

Berk is coming into his own, that's for sure.

Being in Japan, my time zone is always different and I always enjoy the hours right around now-- 3:30am local venue time... Like-- How many athletes are already awake because they can't sleep past their early morning nerves?

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Greatest thing about this season is that my 10 year old and I sit down and watch each event. He now has favorite skiers etc. So stoked.
    It does seem to be gaining momentum. I could never get hutchski to watch the comps before but now she just watched them with her parents.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

yeah turdell can't do anything here...

How did Turdell not knock Slemett off the top spot?!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    How did Turdell not knock Slemett off the top spot?!
    I was amazed and again a little lost on the judging considering he did have some freestyle in his run and took a fluid and heavy line too. Now excited for Nendaz (a great 4 star) and Verb.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

horrible judging there. and aymar navarro should be second or third max.

That was absolute bullshit judging, how did Bimboes post lower than Tom Peiffer with the same line but with a backflip and both had hands in snow on one of the landings. It was basically the same run as Regner's without the top double. Carl even had the same control issues on the bottom air.
    Turdell got robbed, double, backflip, 360 and massive bottom air was worth way more than slemetts 360s. Berkley qualifing for Verbier and next season is awesome!

Fuck I hope Turdell takes Verb. He won today in my mind. He looked bored.

His approach/execution of the final air pretty much summed up how differently he sees the mountain. Bigger and smoother. Nobody else saw that.

Where was Barkered?
    Last edited by gaijin; 03-07-2019 at 05:55 AM.

The judges got the top three right, just not in the correct order. Turdell should have won, but it was close. Some of the scoring beyond that was weird... thought Tabke and Bimboes should have been higher. Man, though, I really love how Turdell skis... what a combination of power and grace.

I'm glad Eder didn't lock up the tour (you could tell he was really going big playing with house money), which should make Verbier a bit more fun to watch.

Also, nice run from Jackie Paaso! Lots of big airs and a creative line.

Did Thing #2 qualify for verbier or the tour next year? https://www.freerideworldtour.com/ra...&discipline=38. I really dig his style and the way he looks at and skis terrain. Id love to see more of him skiing whether that is at verbier or riding the late season padded seats (if i get healthy in time). It looks like the top 11 in the above link qualify for verbier, is that right? Who all re-qualifies for FWT20?

It seems like tanner is having a tough time figuring out how to put together an entire run. His whole skiing life has been filming shorter minigolf and pillow lines, or big lines that have a hit or two and straightline out the bottom. Movie lines are very different than comp lines it looks like. Totally different ballgame having a massive complicated face on which you must link 4-5 hits fluidly. Folks also should remember that he has had two of the most horrific and should-have-been career ending injuries to his legs so i really doubt he puts much time in practicing big airs and lines on shitty snow... That said, the guy looks to have earned a spot at verbier, so hats off.

Judging was goofy. A bunch of small 360's shouldn't beat fast charging with big airs and tricks thrown in.

But whatever. Still an entertaining event to watch. Looking forward to Verbier.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Judging was goofy. A bunch of small 360's shouldn't beat fast charging with big airs and tricks thrown in.

But whatever. Still an entertaining event to watch. Looking forward to Verbier.
    Cough
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Sadly, he did not make it through. Lots of long faces in the thing family today. Super bummed is putting it lightly.

11 are shown as qualified and he's the logical guy to get added since there're usually 12. Everybody pray (or whatever you do) for a miracle that somehow they throw him a bone. I am.

I really appreciate all the love and support y'll have offered up to him.

12 are shown as qualified. There is a tie for 11th between Tabke and Gorak.
    Berkeley deserves a wildcard for sure.

Oh mate that blows..
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    horrible judging there. and aymar navarro should be second or third max.
    lol whaaat? aymar is where he should have been, I mean, he is a local, knows every line, he had sun, snow, and most of the riders did a better job than him. Actually I would even put bimboes before aymar.

The runs from leo slemet and andrew were more fun to watch than that of kris turdell, but he showed the most impressive and best skiing of the day. At this point, I think he could carve on a mix grass/rocks

Maybe wadeck got a bit overscored considering he got the best/"easiest" conditions as he had both sun and untracked snow.

Just watched the replay, can't say I understand the judging on this one, but maybe it's just that awkwardly flailed 360s don't really excite me all that much.