Question Ski/Bike Photographers - Canon Mirrorless?

So anyone shooting action with a Canon mirrorless who came from SLR? How do you like it? Can it handle the cold?

I currently have a 40D, 5Dmk1, and G16. Old right? I was looking to consolidate all into one. I don't do a photo side gig anymore so I can't justify top end stuff, but it is time for an update (and I have a pile of EF lenses).

I was looking at upgrades, specifically the 77D, but 6fps for 24 shots and less in live view, yet live view has better AF tracking than OVF.

Then I looked at the M50 which appears to have the 77D's sensor + Digic 8, so even better liveview AF tracking and vastly superior motor drive (continuous shooting... figured I'd leave the anachronistic term).

But, I never thought I'd sacrifice an OVF for EVF. I handled a M50... and the liveview is nearly real time, but not quite... still a little delay. It's smaller, lighter, and the same price as a 77D. Of course the lack of digital display meant my 40D and G16 kept firing using the optical finder when electronic finder cameras were dead. Carry more batteries I guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Damn! I just lost a long post. Long story short, I'm looking at trsnsitionig from an Oly O-MD E-M1 to a Panasonic G9.

Panasonic's growing alliance with Leica (I.e. full frame L-mount) is an encouraging development for both formats, I think.

It looks as if Canon and Nikon are still playing heavy catchup.

Do you hang on Thom Hogan's site (Sansmirror.com)?

Hogan mentions Nikon's misinformation about full compatibility between their Z lenses and their other lenses. I only mention this in terms of researching Cannon's compatibility and roadmap thoroughly.

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/...boo-nikon.html

Yeah ... your stash of lenses factors in :-( I don't know much about Cannon.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-30-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

The FPS in ai servo leaves something to be desired

For mirrorless cameras, especially shooting sports I find sony pretty hard to beat, except for battery life.

Lenses are slightly limited on the high end spectrum but a decent amount of options in the medium and low end that still shoot decently enough for social media though probably not mag cover worthy.

The sonys I have played with and the older one I own just have incredible autofocus speeds and FPS in both live view and through the viewfinder. Although I typically shoot through the viewfinder because it saves battery.

Looking at some other companies like Fuji and Sony, it really does seem like Canon and Nikon are behind in features and performance on the body end. Curse my pile of glass!

So mirrorless shooters, how do you feel about using EVF for action?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.