Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tonneau Covers...

Who has one they like?
    I am in the market. hopefully 3 panel folding type, waterproof would be nice, but I don't want to drill holes or modify my bed...
    Anyone?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Tonneau Covers...

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Who has one they like?
    I am in the market. hopefully 3 panel folding type, waterproof would be nice, but I don't want to drill holes or modify my bed...
    Anyone?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1538152800.049198.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	248857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1538152895.611400.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	248858

I’ve always had them on my trucks......latest on my Tundra. I use AutoAnything.com to shop/buy. This latest one is an Extang.....about 300.00. No holes/modify........just lay it on and hooks on nicely....even for an idiot like me.

pm mattig
    he's got a bomber one on his tundra

My pops has the bakflip, or whatever it’s called, on his truck. I like it. It’s really secure. But not cheap. If I had the cash I’d put one on mine. It would be easier for me to remove when I need to load the camper than the fiberglass shell.

fold-a-cover looks good too, but no personal experience with it.
    Last edited by jackattack; 09-28-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Our F150 has the BakFlip F1. Still going strong 6 years and about 6 hailstorms later.. Can't say that for the body panels.

Seals the bed well, easy to operate, sturdy. Folds up and out of the way nicely.

Undercover classic is a solid choice. I can stand on it to load the canoe, lockable, and easy on/off. I have had been using this model for 10 years and it's been great. It definitely provides more security when locked than some of the flimsier models.

https://www.undercoverinfo.com/p-371...r-classic.html

Love my softopper

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I’m on my second tri good Tonno Pro. Probably not as nice as the higher priced ones but when you forget to latch it in the folded position and you destroy it the replacement price isn’t as painful. I’ve been happy with the quality and how well they seal out moisture, I couldn’t imagine using my truck for camping or skiing without one.

I had an Extang SolidFold before I got my canopy. It was solid enough to stand on, easy to put on and take off and waterproof. Not as pretty as some, but functional as fuck.

A bit of a thread jack and currently, weighing pros and cons of Tonneaus vs toppers vs neither. So far I've found ARE and Leer options locally. Any insights on their quality vs others?

How secure are tonneaus and tailgates? How practical are they to bolt on bike racks?

Pros and cons of soft, vs solid one piece vs fold overs? When do you wish you had a topper instead?

At the Undercover link, they show a Swingcase option. How practical are these accessories?
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I have a $200 roll top one I bought off amazon for the work truck. Tonno Pro brand. It’s been on the truck for 18mos no issue, just had to tighten it once. Easy install, no drilling.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Tonneau Covers...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Pros and cons of soft, vs solid one piece vs fold overs?
    Hard top - high price, high security, high weatherproofness, low use of full bed.

Folding top - medium price, medium security, medium weatherproofness, medium use of full bed.

Roll top - low price, low security, medium weatherproofness, basically full use of bed.

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Hard top - high price, high security, high weatherproofness, low use of full bed.

Folding top - medium price, medium security, medium weatherproofness, medium use of full bed.

Roll top - low price, low security, medium weatherproofness, basically full use of bed.

That covers it pretty well, the one thing I would add is that I like the hard Undercover because it can be completely removed quite easily (with two people, although I've done it by myself). That frees up space at the front of the bed for racks and hauling firewood, etc. Some of the fold up/roll up ones inhibit use of the front part of the bed more than I like.

Alpinlord,
    I don't like toppers at all in the winter because I like being able to use the rearview mirror and also they are a pain to remove. I haven't tried the swingcases but have been contemplating it. The Undercover tonneau classic hangs over the tailgate so you have to lift it slightly to open the tailgate. That provides a little additional security if you don't have a locking tailgate since you can lock the cover and keep someone from accessing the bed easily. I would think installing bike hardware on the Undercover would be easy enough to do.

Thanks for the input. My tailgate locks. The folding tops seem to offer versatility.

The Fold-A-Covers are interesting with their front and back locking options. The personal caddie looks pretty useful. They also have several videos comparing/nitpicking various popular toppers to theirs. One eye opener was the ability for the BAKflip's cable to be pulled with a wire. True or no?

Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Looking at a roll-up vs a tri-fold for a 6.5' bed. How does the tri fold do with that? Can the tri-fold go down the freeway or bumpy roads being half folded or fully folded? Can you close the tri-fold and keep the tailgate pad on there?

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Looking at a roll-up vs a tri-fold for a 6.5' bed. How does the tri fold do with that? Can the tri-fold go down the freeway or bumpy roads being half folded or fully folded? Can you close the tri-fold and keep the tailgate pad on there?
    No idea - roll top owner here. But you likely won’t be able to close any topper with the tailgate pad on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    My Tundra has a tri-fold in it when I bought it.
    I wasn’t a fan at first and wanted the hard rolling one.
    But after a year of use, I quite like it. It’s strong enough to support me sitting on it, and seems to keep most dust/rain/snow out(box was drilled for a 5th wheel, so it has a few holes). Cover folds open and has clips to secure it open for travel. It provides a nice place to put your gear in the parking lot before and after skiing that isn’t laying down or leaning on your truck to get forgotten. And my tailgate locks, so everything is secure and out of sight.

Sent from inside the house
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Got a folding one, I forget the brand, I’ll check. ~$300. I use it with a tailgate pad on all the time.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Fold top tonneau disadvantage, the last third doesn't fold up, at least on the one I had (Tacoma branded OEM hard folding). This actually left some of the bed as useless sometimes. Overall I did like the hard-folding one mostly, but got rid of it for an actual topper. Just fits my needs more.

The factory hard tonneau said no sitting or standing but it held me at 200 lbs just fine. Nice that if you lock the tailgate, no one could get in easily anyway. Pry bar would definitely get you in though. Not waterproof, but it tried to be.

FYI- Tacomas (at least some) are predrilled for all of the mounts for the hard folding topper. Found this out when I sold mine to someone who didn't originally have one. We popped off her plastic side panels and voila! The holes were already there, so we switched plastic panels on our trucks so I wouldn't have the one chopped for the mounts. Worked out pretty well. Not sure if other brands are the same but worth checking because drilling and tapping could be a chore.

Thinking of a tonneau cover for winter use. Having a few pairs of skis just laying in the bed gives me pause for even running into the store at a gas station for a Snickers. I don't need it ultra secure as it will be empty except when I'm going to/from the mountain, but a tonneau at least should slow the average crime of convenience.

Thoughts on this $200 one that has 400+ 5 star ratings?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019NUGKDI...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Tonneau Covers...

Check AutoAnything.com.....I’ve been getting all my truck stuff from them for years....price is good/shipping is fast...customer service is excellent (like Free the Powder gloves) excellent.

Price might beat Amazon...

*Mine is upthread....Extang Trifecta...have had it on 3 different trucks now....
    Last edited by BC.; 12-21-2020 at 10:14 AM.

went through this process last season. spent $450 ish on a metal one with vinyl cover (TonnoPro Hard Tri Fold). works well. added a lock to the tailgate this season. no longer worry when I have skis back there. i don't think I'd feel the same with vinyl-only.

bought from
    autoanything.com
    Last edited by ntblanks; 12-21-2020 at 08:53 PM.

I have one called a backflip.

It's a hard cover that hinges. Super easy on and off and it's secure if you lock the tailgate.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

If anyone posting in here is looking I have a cover that goes behind a tool box. It’s made by extang. It’s still in the box. It fits a CC F-250 2017-2021 short bed for sure and probably a bunch of others. I bought a bed deck and a cap instead. I would take $100 for it plus shipping. If you are interested send me a message and I can send you all the information on the box

I just ordered a folding cover from Tonno Pro. $265 shipped although the website says it could be 4 weeks until delivery. Plenty of time until ski season.