Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    This is why I still
    Come here... mags are great for beta

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Here’s how I like to imagine riding Black Rock in my wildest dreams
    https://youtu.be/u2UdHo9chvI

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

So yeah, thanks for the tip on Oakridge. Today was all time and I had no idea of this place. Rode Lawler and Hardesty, climbing up to the latter after shuttling the first. Just sickness all over the place. No good photos to share, but trust the stoke. I don't know that I've ever ridden dirt with the kind of grip this stuff has- you can just wrench on your tires in every corner,.

Oakridge is sooo good!

Lawler is my fav! Eula is probably my #2 in that area.

Glad you got it in good conditions. I hope you did the Patterson Mountain lookout out-and-back from the shelter, that’s probably the biggest clover (sorrel) mats I’ve ever seen in my life.

Remember what I said about staying here for 3 days, ideally 5

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

End of October riding in Ashland OR never disappoints!

Saturday: Great views of Mount Shasta and Bear Creek Valley, warm weather, leaves everywhere ...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9194.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	858.5 KB 
ID:	253011

Name:	IMG_9198.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	253012

Sunday: Rain on high-quartz-content, very granular decomposing granite made for hero conditions (when your goggles/glasses were actually clean enough or de-fogged enough to see)

Name:	IMG_9207.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	253032

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Thanks so much for the beta Schralph - this thread was perfectly timed. After a few underwhelming days in Bend (I only rode the stuff close to town) I rode O'Leary Ridge based on your rec. Really incredible trail, fits the IMBA "epic" designation IMO.

Hoping the weather holds out so I can check out Oakridge Sunday - Tuesday of next week...

Can anyone suggest a good 1-2 hour pedal loop for the Ashland trails? I'm in the area now and my focus was steelhead fishing on the rogue but these fish are being assholes. Considering a break from the fishing to get a bike ride in. I rode something there once that consisted of a fire road up and then a pretty fun trail down that kind of paralleled the road and had some pretty big gap jumps on it. Can't remember the name of it but thinking about maybe checking something else out.

Dfinn you have some options ...

1) start from Lithia Park, pedal south up Ashland Loop Road to top of Caterpillar, very short climb back north before dropping Lizard and Jabberwocky. Intermediate flow trail with berms, doubles, tables, wallrides, no gaps. Best option if you want to start finish in a quaint downtown setting with great coffee and food options.

2) drive to Four Corners parking area on Tolman Creek Road, pedal up Ashland Loop Road to Bull Gap, climb that, drop down Upper Links/Missing Links/Lower Links. More like “natural flow” trail riding - combination of rock gardens, berms with transfers, jumps, and small optional gaps. Great trail.

3) If you are on the upper stretches of the Rogue, maybe consider Brown Mountain loop. 2 hour XC loop next to Mount McLoughlin, mix of volcanic lava and mossy Doug Fir forests, easy and scenic. Also a great place to camp (Fourmile Lake).

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Thanks! A good coffee and option #1 sounds like a pretty good stop on my way south to the Klamath.

Best trails in Oregon

In that case, Mix Bakeshop for coffee/croissants, Ruby’s for breakfast burrito. If you’re feeling like really self indulging after your ride, Standing Stone Brewery downtown has probably the best nachos I’ve had in my entire life, and I grew up in Southern California basically subsisting on such things since I was old enough to walk. (But Caldera Brewery at the I5 onramp has a better beer selection, more my style of brews, and the Rogue Valley Salad there is also about as good as it gets)

Enjoy the trails and town!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

GF and I are planning to rent a van out of Portland for two weeks in June, glad I successfully executed the search function and found this thread. All the ride beta is here and matches what I've already got on the hit list. We're from Maine so exploring the coast is high on our list too so two weeks may end up a tease since neither of us have been to OR.

What I'm wondering is how busy things get both in terms of riding and dispersed camping. Based on van availability our date choices are June 3-17 or June 25 - July 9. How much of a factor is the 4th of July going to be.

Friend of mine spent a month in Idaho last summer in his van and said the Covid factor was obvious when it came to finding a spot to camp. He was running into areas where people that lived within a couple hours were leaving campers in a cool area and driving up to use it for a couple days at a time. Basically squatting on a site that might have a 14 or 16 day max.

Have friends from Jackson who just moved to Rogue River so definitely want to get down there.

Doubt we'll get to it all but here's my list;

McKenzie River
    Oakridge
    Bend
    Black Rock
    Rogue River
    Ashland
    Bandon
    North Umpqua
    Whiskey Run

Also curious about bike recommendation, I'm choosing between a V2 Bronson and a Revel Ranger. The GF is bringing a SC 5010.

Can any OR locals comment on what the fires did to trails last summer? Eyeing a weeklong trip in the next couple months (hopefully June).

Also, when does ape canyon usually dry out and the gate open?

july 4 you are unlikely to have a developed spot anywhere mildly popular

remember that all the outdoor stuff is pretty crowded since covid as it is

that said, i do wish you luck...sounds like a pretty nice getaway; the van should help insofar as you don't need developed camp sites

re: fires
    google each site individually
    the map is decent but not continually up to date
    https://wildfire.oregon.gov/Pages/Re...n-Impacts.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    So yeah, thanks for the tip on Oakridge. Today was all time and I had no idea of this place. Rode Lawler and Hardesty, climbing up to the latter after shuttling the first. Just sickness all over the place. No good photos to share, but trust the stoke. I don't know that I've ever ridden dirt with the kind of grip this stuff has- you can just wrench on your tires in every corner,.
    I miss that stuff!

Learned to ride way back in and around there with the DOD.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

ANyone know about dispersed camping on Hills Creek Lake near Oakridge? Is there plenty of random spots around it and also is the water too cold to swim in early June?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    We're from Maine so exploring the coast is high on our list too so two weeks may end up a tease since neither of us have been to OR.

Also curious about bike recommendation, I'm choosing between a V2 Bronson and a Revel Ranger. The GF is bringing a SC 5010.
    Coastal perspective - I drove down the entire west coast in Feb/Mar and did a few rides in OR. It seemed a bit hard to find dispersed camping in some areas being close to the coast with lots of private property. I was generally able to find logging roads to drive up and camp. Though I'm sure some spots weren't legal I had no issues given time of year and was in after dark, out soon after sunrise.

Syncline in WA - agree this is worth a stop if you have time. Lots of poison oak. I'd ride this before i'd ride Sandy Ridge.

Cape Mtn Trails - Florence, OR. There was a small, nice campground at the top. Not free but like $12/night. Trails are horse trails and seemed pretty raw/unused, I imagine there will be more horse traffic in summer. Not many downed trees, just covered in litter.

Whiskey Run Trails - Coos Bay. Very fun MTB specific trail system. Tons of loop options and some decent DH runs.

Lower Rogue River Tr - did an out and back but it can be a 12 mile point to point. Very raw and covered in heavy litter with a few downed trees, but a cool trail. No legal camping on roads nearby. Lots of private campgrounds along the river though. Can't really recommend this one due to conditions unless you want to explore something pretty wild. Looks like a bunch of trails have appeared on TF on the opposite side of the river.

If you find yourself this far south along the OR coast, definitely drive south to NorCal redwoods. There are a couple really cool rides there and the coast highway from Gold Beach to Brookings is crazy scenic - better than the Big Sur coast IMO and had the best scenery in OR by far. Then take Hwy 199 back to Grants Pass.

- Last Chance Section of Coastal Trail - the original highway gone back to singletrack/doubletrack through some Redwood groves. Steep climb to begin with then very mellow, shaded and scenic. Better TH at the north end but at the south end if highway construction is finished you can skip the climb at the north end. Pretty fast ride.

- Little Bald Hills - climbs up through Redwood park to an open ridgline, Out and back or P2P. I climbed up past the high point and then down. Cool trail with decent views.

- Ossagon Loop - legal riding in Redwoods NP/State Park. Drop down to the beach and then ride below the cliffs. There is a resident herd of elk on the beach. Connect around back to the south trailhead, pick up Streetlow Creek and finish by pedaling a few miles through the Redwood park. Worthwhile loop.

There is no dispersed camping right by the Redwoods. I found a designated dispersed camping site half hour east on 199 at Patrick Creek. I imagine it would be busy on the long weekend. I think everything along the coast would be difficult then. Best to hit that stretch up before or after the long weekend if you can.

If you do this route and end up back at Grant's Pass, Ashland Mtn is definitely the primo ride if you can get a shuttle. 5k descent in 12mi of buff singletrack. In Grant's Pass the Mountain of the Rogue trail system is purpose built MTB trail and pretty fun. Taylor/Briggs is supposed to be fun as well.

As for bike, the Ranger will be fine on almost everything. I was on my Spur for this trip. I'd probably pass on stuff like Black Rock and jumps at Hood River but it will be fine on almost everything else.

Thanks Evdog, moved up our dates and will be missing the holiday shit show. Leaving Thursday!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

All I have to add is that I wouldn't ride syncline now. That is unless you like loose gravely trails, ticks, and a ridiculous amount of poison oak. Place is great in the fall/winter/spring, but not so much this time of year. If you find yourself in the Hood River area let me know, would be happy to give some beta and/or get out on a ride.

I got my worst ever case of poison oak at Syncline one year over New years riding in the snow. At least you can see the PO leaves this time of year. I had no idea. I think I crash landed in a big PO bush....didn't find out what that was til a day or two later. Had to bail on the rest of my trip it was so bad.

Name:	DSC01597.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	376103

Name:	DSC01637.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	967.4 KB 
ID:	376104

Quote Originally Posted by s_squatch View Post
    All I have to add is that I wouldn't ride syncline now. That is unless you like loose gravely trails, ticks, and a ridiculous amount of poison oak. Place is great in the fall/winter/spring, but not so much this time of year. If you find yourself in the Hood River area let me know, would be happy to give some beta and/or get out on a ride.
    We have sick ticks here in NE so I’m good with them and the PO.

I think our float plan is trending towards hitting NoCal and we weren’t really thinking about that in the early planning. The redwood thing is hard to deny, we love bold coastline and riding bikes, so we’ll adjust accordingly.

I’m guessing good beer is easy to find

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    ANyone know about dispersed camping on Hills Creek Lake near Oakridge? Is there plenty of random spots around it and also is the water too cold to swim in early June?
    As far as I know there’s not many great spots around the “lake” it’s a reservoir so the banks aren’t easy to access the water and watch out for lots of poison oak.

You won’t be disappointed by driving 30-60min south along the middle fork, plenty of secret(pun) campgrounds. One of the favorite trails, moon point is out there too.

Best trails in Oregon

Long shot here but any Portland mags know any shops that rent decent hitch mount bike racks?

Just got to our rental van and the rack they rented us is a piece of shit.

Edit: we bought a rack at REI, thanks to Thefortrrees for the loaner offer!

Rode Klootchy yesterday, fun network.

Cruising south on the coast today in the rain. Seemed like the thing to do
    Last edited by ticketchecker; 06-05-2021 at 11:57 AM.

ATCA stoke

Name:	IMG_1028.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	377182

Name:	IMG_1031.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	377183

Name:	IMG_1032.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	298.4 KB 
ID:	377184

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Gonna be in Government Camp for a week in late july for my SIL's wedding. My wife will be 8months prego at that point and no one else in the wedding party does mtn related things, so ill be riding solo but my prego wife is fine driving shuttles for me. Ill probably ride a day at the skibowl bike park, but i wasnt super stoked on it when i raced a NW cup there a few years back. how are the Timberline trails? Especially the one all the way down to govy? Or is Sandy Ridge a better bet than the T-line trails?

I wont be riding jump trails or anything rowdy due to the timing of the wedding and impending child, so longer backcountry rides could be an option too if they are worth it.

Ill also be in the Eugene area in early july- same situation with prego wife shuttle. Is there a good 2-3 hour oakridge ride that folks can recommend?