Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boot bags

Boot bags

Looking to get Mrs. Danno a new bootbag. Money is tight, but don't want to get a POS either. Looking for a bag that can carry not just boots but all of her ski gear (helmet/goggles, gloves, etc).

After some searching I came up with this one for $45 and this one for $60.

But no experience with either bag or company. So, any thoughts?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I have been using one of these from Dakine for the last couple of years, and I'm really happy with them. I ended up getting four total giving one to the wife and two to my in-laws for Christmas. I can easily fit everything I need other than my poles and skis in them.

I normally carry under layers, couple pairs of socks, two pairs of goggles, helmet, gloves, mittens and a couple of beanies, then toss my bibs and jackets on top. It's tight but works for sure.

I would upgrade for a fancy heated bag possibly, but that's way more than $60.

Thanks. Is there a shoulder strap? Or just the hand straps?

Slightly prefer a backpack style one, but that one does look good.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Has a shoulder strap, but not backpack straps.

Mrs C and I have some High Sierra ones that we just use for plane trips -- backpack strap style; hold boots + some gear. Maybe a helmet if you don't care about boots scratching helmet.

STP has an assortment, and I assume the usual codes + AJ work:
    https://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~boot-bag/
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'm a huge fan of this setup: https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/tr...-pack-dlx-55l/

Plenty of space for all my gear but not too bulky. I love the backpack design...allows me to throw my skis on my shoulder, pack on my back, and still have 1 free hand. Bonus points for space for a couple beers in the front cooler.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My kid has an transpack one and it has held up to his abuse for 4 yrs now

[just saw it in his closet...not athalon, transpack]
    Last edited by acinpdx; 10-01-2018 at 05:53 PM. Reason: mistook brand name

I have Kulkea. Lots of features, big enough and comfortable to carry.

+3 for dakine.

I have two from them; a small one that just fits boots and small items that I use as a carry on when I fly, and the large boot locker previously linked that I use most days I ski from the car. The backpack one seems great for someone who puts their boots on in the lodge.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Another vote for the Boot Locker. Best I have ever had

I bought one of those Athalon $60 bags last year and it was so nice I immediately bought two more of them for my kids. I can fit the following in it (adults or kid sizes) no problem: boots, helmet, shell pants, shell coat, down coat, fleece coat, fleece pants, gloves, goggles, socks, long underwear. It is comfortable enough to wear as a back pack and now my kids carry all their own gear with no complaints. Win.

Bag is well built and not cheap like the other low price bags.
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

Thanks for all the recommendations!

Think she's like the Athalon in Night Vision

Once you’ve had a heated bag, you’ll never go back.

You might be able to add a heating pad to these, cause it’s a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Once you’ve had a heated bag, you’ll never go back.

You might be able to add a heating pad to these, cause it’s a game changer.
    Has this been done with any success??

+1 for the Boot Locker. Had one and liked it. Traded it for a 1st gen Burton Riders Bag, which I love as well, just a bit bigger, which means I always overpack.

I've got a heated seat cover. I lay it flat across the back of the cargo area and put the boot bags on top of it for the 3 hour drive up to the mountains. It's not as good as a heated bag or heated liners but it is better than nothing.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I use the Athalon every day for 50-60 days per year plus trips to Utah every now and then. Have to take my boots out to fit in the overhead of a Southwest 737 but no other complaints. I walk to the lifts most days so the backpack setup is a win. Had the same one for 4+ years and it's still rocking. Have a spare if/when the original ever wears out which doesn't seem likely at this point. As noted, you can pack a ton of shit in these.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Has this been done with any success??
    My Hot Gear Bag is hanging on, but once the heating element goes, I’m trying.

Just came across this and looks promising for non heated option. https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...t-SNOWKIT.html

Anyone got any firsthand impressions?

Osprey makes good kit, no doubt but at that price, you could get 2 Athalons and a 4-pack of Heady Topper.

Sierra Trading Post has some Swix boot bags that are ~$30 with a coupon. They're pretty nice, especially the bigger volume ones. Not heated.

Where do you guys actually use boot bags?

To carry your boots from the house to the car? Car to condo? The boots come with a perfectly good carry strap already, just velcro the two power straps together.

If you're actually travelling somewhere where skiing is the object of the trip, I'd suggest getting a ski bag big enough to hold the boots on the way back, but carrying everything you need to ski except skis and poles on the plane with you going over. This method has saved my ass a couple times, since I can usually rent or borrow skis no problem but I can't wear a new boot out of the box. Outerwear, gloves, goggles and hat in a backpack with one set of street clothes and the boots over my shoulder and in overhead lugguge as my "purse."

I did once dine at Hameau Albert 1er in Chamonix in my Gore-tex when everyone else was in tux or suits, but at least I was able to ski the Haute Route on rental skis and my own boots.

I anti-recommend the K2 boot bag I use, it’s falling apart

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Where do you guys actually use boot bags?
    I mostly use mine as in-season storage for my gear. I can fit all my stuff in my bag, so in the morning I just grab it and go.

It’s especially nice for weekend trips up at the cabin, etc. On the way home my wet boots don’t get the inside of my truck all wet.

Have a ski bag that can fit everything for long trips or flights, but the boot bag is awesome for overnighters. Skis can stay in the truck but the rest of the gear can be warm inside.

I never had one until last season, but I’m sold now.