Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    There seems to be some kind of new bus service up the Lukmanier-Pass: https://schneetourenbus.ch/index.php?id=40

Might be of interest if the conditions line up for even more touring.

Gemsstock looking filled in from midway with another 1-2 meters on the way:

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Gemsstock looking filled in from midway with another 1-2 meters on the way:

Really looking forward to riding that tram.

Still not 100% but things are falling into place to make this trip happen for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Me too, that terrain looks amazing and it seems like things are stacking up for good coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Still not 100% but things are falling into place to make this trip happen for me.
    Sweet, Abe.

School me: is American Alpine Club $12,500 rescue insurance sufficient for touring in the region? Anything else I should think of adding on.

Make sure you get Rega coverage for heli evac

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Most of the picture is skiable, the chutes in the rocky zone on viewers right are particularly spicy.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Yeah boi!

Most of the picture is skiable, the chutes in the rocky zone on viewers right are particularly spicy.
    Oh my!

Looking more and more likely that I’ll end up in St Anton a few days after bbi. Buster, did you ever find a decent place to stay over there that didn’t hit the wallet too hard?

Still looking for something a little more low key and off the beaten track between Andermatt and St Anton. How busy is Davos?

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Looking more and more likely that I’ll end up in St Anton a few days after bbi. Buster, did you ever find a decent place to stay over there that didn’t hit the wallet too hard?

Still looking for something a little more low key and off the beaten track between Andermatt and St Anton. How busy is Davos?
    This was the best deal I could find for downtown St. Anton within walking distance of the train station at 90E/night:

Hotel Kirchplatz KG
    Dorfstrasse 73
    6580 St. Anton am Arlberg
    Telephone: +43 5446 2224
    E-mail: info@hotel-kirchplatz.at
    www.hotel-kirchplatz.at

There's so many places to ski around there.
    Options:

0) St. Moritz: Easy access via train, killer, wipeout, mindblowing, cerebral cortex damaging skiing despite the trendy glitzreputation, huDge, huDge place. Pontresina Hostel is cheapest, a bit isolated. St. Moritz proper/Corviglia has a few places for less then $100/night. It's possible to get over to Samnaun/Ischgl from there as well as Livigno or Bormio or Santa Caterina, but these last 3 require a bus transfer from train at Tirano.

1) Davos: Never been, also expensive , will be going there en route to Rueras, friends have extolled the virtues of Davos\Klosters. Wynegg hotel is relatively close to Klosters bahnhof and a deal at 90chf/night for a single.

2) Silvretta Montafon : Also never been, also great rep among friends. Stay in Schruns and drink to Hemingway, lots of great touring and a number of other obscure areas up valley like Gargellen and Silvretta Bielerhöhe where it's all touring from the lift.

3) Flims/Laax, close to Rueras, is big.

See here: https://www.bergfex.com/graubuenden/

Swiss rail map: https://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/infra...bbdownload.pdf
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 12-10-2018 at 05:54 PM.

From what I know about Davos that I read in the dentists office is that it's big and comprised of 5 different ski areas:
    Madrisa/Klosters,
    Klosters/Davos Parsenn:

Davos Pischa,
    Davos Jakobshorn,
    Davos Rinerhorn.

It is not in any way 'off the beaten path', but is considered to be one of the grande dame resorts like St. Moritz, St Anton/Lech/Stuben or Ischgl/Samnaun.

I'm told the freeride/offpiste skiing off Parsenn towards Klosters/Serneus is largely underused and worthy and that the PIscha lift, a single tram servicing a large area is also great.

If you want off the beaten path, there's places like the Brugg/Biel/Springen complex, which is south facing and may not hold great snow late March:

Another one is the Mythenregion:

Or Hoch-Ybrig :

Make sure you get Rega coverage for heli evac
    Buster, Vendul, isn’t the German Alpine Club’s insurance comprehensive for Americans/Ausländer in all of the Alps? Same with Austrian AC?

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Me too, that terrain looks amazing and it seems like things are stacking up for good coverage.
    Looking like best in Europe at the moment unless I’m missing something. Hope you guys dead-center this trip. So far looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Buster, Vendul, isn’t the German Alpine Club’s insurance comprehensive for Americans/Ausländer in all of the Alps? Same with Austrian AC?
    I guess the german alpine club membership is a good deal - once your in they cover a lot and I think they don't care about your citizenship.
    You will have to choose a local branch and prices vary. If you are from abroad and don't care about their local activities and programs look for some small branch in some village...

Davos is great but not cheap. I liked the youth hostel in Klosters a few years ago and it was not very very pricy.
    On first sight you may think it sucks that the resorts are not connected but you can make many great backcountry links therefore. Parsenn is probably not your best bet but there are a few good runs, too. Mostly they end up far from a good connection back and it seem that Meierhofertälli is a slope now.

Consider the other 4 hills more. Pischa is no longer groomed and offers good backcountry acess. Madrisa connects you to Gargellen in austria and than you can go back up there as the gondola is included one time in your pass and ski back to st. Antönien -> Bus to Davos/Klosters... Jakobshorn is also good but not as much backcountry atmosphere on the runs marked in the trail-map of the resort... there is a lot more to it.

I don't recommend Hoch Ybrig, Brugg and Mythenregion also I think with good local knowledge you might like the latter two (I dont know about them)

Other suggestions that might be considered low key on your way BBI->St. Anton:

Vals, Obersaxen, Brigels, Arosa (not low key but one to consider)
    Others if you also consider to detour as far as St.Moritz: Bivio, Savoginin, Scoul (thats even more of a detour)

Thanks Buster and Leo! I owe you both drinks.

Skip bivio and savogin. Both basically never have snow and the terrain is boring, mildly put. For touring access they are good though.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Bosco Gurin ? They're supposed to get a ton of snow.

Then again, one approach is to develop a number of options East, West, North and South and pick one a week before you go.

I'd keep an eye on Alagna/Monte Rosa, because while it's a pain in the ass to get to, it's incredible if they have snow.

This place comes recommended: https://pescatoripiode.eu/ and they have a parking lot right next to the tram @ Alagna and the son is a guide.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 12-11-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schermata 2018-12-11 alle 19.04.18.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	278.3 KB 
ID:	259621
    Not only we just got a ton of snow, we also saw the new Tram ride up Cuolm Da Vi!!!!
    Isn't She Beautiful?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by vendul View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schermata 2018-12-11 alle 19.04.18.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	278.3 KB 
ID:	259621
    Not only we just got a ton of snow, we also saw the new Tram ride up Cuolm Da Vi!!!!
    Isn't She Beautiful?!?!?!?!
    Ohhh sweet! Makes Sedrun even better place to stay!

Yasss that is sick!

Oh yeah; be nice not to schlepp from Acla di Fountana up to the Disentis tram anymore.