Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Better half is meeting me after the Urner. We're skiing a few days in Engelberg, but she isn't interested in much more than a couple.

We've got 3 days, 2 nights before we end up in Zurich. Recommendations on towns/cities/activities between Engelberg and Zurich (not interested in lots of additional travel). Food (she is vegetarian but very pro-cheese), museums, architecture, reasonable lodging. What you locals/experienced folk know?

Luzerne. Very cool and old city, lots of architecture from 1600 and before, lots to do around the lake too.

https://www.luzern.com/en/things-to-...-town-squares/

The train station is on the S. side of the river, sort of West side of the lake. Cross the river to get to the old town, it's walkable with a bridge that dates to the 1600s, the Kapellbrücke.

Last edited by Buster Highmen; 01-06-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Luzerne.
    +1 Don’t over think it on your first trip. Lucerne is a fabulous town and perfectly located for your itineray.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    +1 Don’t over think it on your first trip. Lucerne is a fabulous town and perfectly located for your itineray.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Copy that. Had found that this afternoon as it looked obvious location providing its more interesting than Zurich. Lodging looks workable, easy transfer, symphony is playing at the KKL with tickets as low as 25CHF.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    We've got 3 days, 2 nights before we end up in Zurich. Recommendations on towns/cities/activities between Engelberg and Zurich (not interested in lots of additional travel). Food (she is vegetarian but very pro-cheese), museums, architecture, reasonable lodging. What you locals/experienced folk know?
    Luzern is nice to walk around in. A few good museums: Kunstmuseum (next to KKL), Rosengart (Picassos, Klees, etc.,..), Transport Museum (Trains, planes, cars, etc.,.. really cool especially with kids). KKL is a great concert hall. We've seen several concerts there and the acoustics are phenomenal.

Other towns/cities that are worth a visit and not too far are Bern and Basel. Really depends what your interests are. You could just stay the whole time in Luzern and go on a boat ride around the lake and/or go up the Rigi or Pilatus. Zug has a nice downtown and could occupy a few hours.

Swiss food is kind of meh. Pretty much any place will have a vegetarian option for you though.

There isn't a big variety in the different Swiss towns/cities. They are all rather similar (nice old town, lake or river, scenic and rather clean). If you want to go a bit further, I would recommend Alsace. Colmar and surrounding villages will give you a different feel less than 2 hours from Zurich. Probably best to have a car for exploring the villages though.

Great beta -- thanks patxi. I'm thinking a few days of not much movement, looking at some architecture, art, and listening to music may be in order after about 12 days of skiing, 5 on the haute route. Between cultural stuff, a boat ride on the lake and checking out some neighborhoods it should be plenty of entertainment for 2 days before returning to Zurich to hop flight home.

I kinda guessed that about swiss food. I am a more flexible eater than her. I'm gonna try and gain some weight while skiing my brains out by living on cheese, chocolate, potatoes, and wine.

Based on instagram, it's dumping in Sedrun again!

^^ the IG account has been getting me. itchin’ over here

T-minus two months.

It's all becoming real. Time to mount up the skis that are making the trip. So stoked.

Coverage looks killer. Hopefully the storm momentum will keep going into March
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

JC, Vendul's IG account!! You guys could not have been staked to a better head start.

Curious how easy or difficult it would be to rent some piste skis around Vendul’s? Something like Kastle fx95 hp for a potential low tide conditions

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    JC, Vendul's IG account!! You guys could not have been staked to a better head start.
    No joke. Was the IG story this morning on the new gondola at disintis?

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Curious how easy or difficult it would be to rent some piste skis around Vendul’s? Something like Kastle fx95 hp for a potential low tide conditions
    Same. Going to travel with the tweener mid-fat but if it's firm and there are groomers to zoom, might be pretty fun.

easy if we talk eurostlye piste skis (95mm still considered solid all mountain) but maybe swiss pricing - maybe ask vendul if he has a spare pair of skis...

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    No joke. Was the IG story this morning on the new gondola at disintis?

I think that was "Schneehühnerstock"

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    easy if we talk eurostlye piste skis (95mm still considered solid all mountain) but maybe swiss pricing - maybe ask vendul if he has a spare pair of skis...
    I'm saying real euro dork carvers, Blizzard Quatro, Dynastar Speedzone, Stockli Laser, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    I think that was "Schneehühnerstock"
    Lol, so one of the areas on the map I had written off because it looked "small"

Don't go to the Alps to ski groomers. If it is high pressure, go as high and as far a possible. If the avalanche danger it too high, stay low in the trees. The Euros come here to ski our groomers, not the other way around.

Lol, so one of the areas on the map I had written off because it looked "small"
    The map is really drawn in a misleading way. The Gondolas are fine and of solid length but the chairlifts between Gütsch and Schneehühnerstock are rather short. Different ratio between them and Schneehühnerstock-Gondola than on the map if my experience did not misslead me.

Some nice short runs down to the road that runs along the railway are possible if you don't mind to "nordic" it to Nätschen.

I'm saying real euro dork carvers, Blizzard Quatro, Dynastar Speedzone, Stockli Laser, etc.
    Belongs in week in review thread.

Or epicski.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Belongs in week in review thread.

Or epicski.
    guilty as charged. but I'm also spending an extra week there and my wife likes skiing groomers.

I'm bringing one setup and relying on that alone. Hope it works out. CD104Ls, Vipecs, and Hawx XTDs.

guilty as charged. but I'm also spending an extra week there and my wife likes skiing groomers.
    So does mine...but goddammit man this is TGR don't let her ski them on skinny skis.

Plus... they have red groomers over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    So does mine...but goddammit man this is TGR don't let her ski them on skinny skis.

Plus... they have red groomers over there.
    I will obviously bring my Pro Model colab ski that ON3P and Dynastar put together for me, Billygoat up front with Legend Pro Rider tail. 140/120/130, 48m sidecut. 7 Layers of metal. 223cm Length only.

I will obviously bring my Pro Model colab ski that ON3P and Dynastar put together for me, Billygoat up front with Legend Pro Rider tail. 140/120/130, 48m sidecut. 7 Layers of metal. 223cm Length only.
    But are they red?