Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    A couple of things:
    0) Make sure to have some sort of connectivity on your phones. Cell coverage is typically great in Yurp and is super useful when trying to figure out what's going on and where people are. It's easy to get separated and end up in disparate villages and it's sort of nice to avoid invoking local authorities to find lost folks.

1) Freshen up those transceiver batteries.

2) When packing skis for the trip, try to protect the tips, tails and bindings. I usually use straps and pole baskets to protect one end and my avie shovel to protect the other end. If your bindings are at all delicate, consider wrapping them in cardboard or something protective. Cardboard is nice because it's disposable. A roll of duct tape in your bag can be useful.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Buy SIM card in Switzerland or do an international package or?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Buy SIM card in Switzerland or do an international package or?

Depends. I'll likely use a Verizon plan.

Be sure to check that your carrier service supports installing a Euro Sim card if you want to go that route.

To make cell phone calls in Europe you'll need an unlocked dual-band GSM phone and a SIM card.

I'd also like to make a WhatsApp group. I'll solicit phone numbers via pm.

I like to use the ATT daily plan. Kind of pricey at $10/day but it gives me unlimited text talk and data in most countries.

T-mobile works fine everywhere over there, no extra charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

(GOOD) SPAM- My buddy has a pair of new skis for sale, thought I'd see if any interest here. I could bring the to the BBi.

Countdown 104s, 181cm. last year's model I think, skied 1 time, marker barons mounted for 327bsl. Can be adjusted quite a lot. Only caveat, he thinks the mount may be too far back. Tips are too chattery on hard pistes. But maybe it's just him or just the wrong ski for pistes. He wants to reduce his quiver anyways. 300chf/usd

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    T-mobile works fine everywhere over there, no extra charges.
    I’m interested in what other mags do. Maybe it’s own thread?

So I’ve been thinking rescue insurance may be a good idea. Has anyone ever used it before? I doubt I’ll need it, but it’d sure be shitty to come home home with a giant rescue bill.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    So I’ve been thinking rescue insurance may be a good idea. Has anyone ever used it before? I doubt I’ll need it, but it’d sure be shitty to come home home with a giant rescue bill.
    Look into Rega for Switz.

Anyone spy a town/location on this page close to Vendul’s or our skiing? — for Mammut canisters rental..
    figure better than flying with my own to avoid hassle. Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2543.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	571.4 KB 
ID:	271484

One of the trains from ZRH goes thru Chur

Zurich would probably work the best, easiest to do on the way in and out.
    Flims is just East of Disentis, so that would be the closest but train connections might be flimsier.

Luzern is also on the way and some trains stop there on the way to Am@ and E-berg.

(edit: did you pm vendul to ask him?)
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 02-26-2019 at 02:02 PM.

Appreciate the input. My one challenge w/ grabbing in Zurich is flight arrives at 5:15 pm on Saturday. I’m concerned with getting thru customs and on train- let alone finding a shop that night.
    Will try Vendul and/or perhaps another local has an idea. Wonder if I could get a shop to send to hotel and I return in person or something in Zurich. T-minus 18 days and stooohked!

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Appreciate the input. My one challenge w/ grabbing in Zurich is flight arrives at 5:15 pm on Saturday. I’m concerned with getting thru customs and on train- let alone finding a shop that night.
    Will try Vendul and/or perhaps another local has an idea. Wonder if I could get a shop to send to hotel and I return in person or something in Zurich. T-minus 18 days and stooohked!
    These shops in Andermatt carry Mammut:
    Uri:
    Alpina Sport AG, Gotthardstrasse 101, CH-6490 Andermatt, +41 41 887 17 88, info@alpina-sport.ch, www.alpina-sport.ch
    Meyer's Sporthaus AG, Gotthardstrasse 93, CH-6490 Andermatt, +41 41 887 12 32, mail@meyers-sporthaus.ch

This is close to Andermatt:
    Imholz Sport AG, Klausenstrasse 142, CH-6463 Bürglen Uri, +41 41 874 00 90, box@imholzsport.ch, www.imholzsport.ch, www.meyers-sporthaus.ch

Others near Disentis:
    Bächli Bergsport, Rheinfelsstrasse 39, CH-7000 Chur, +41 81 286 05 50, chur@baechli-bergsport.ch, www.baechli-bergsport.ch
    Menzli Sport AG, Via Alpsu 14, CH-7180 Disentis, +41 81 947 55 83, disentis@menzlisport.ch, http://www.menzlisport.ch

Norbert Joos Bergsport AG, Kasernenstrasse 90, CH-7000 Chur, +41 81 253 74 14, joos@bergsport.ch, www.bergsport.ch

From: https://us.mammut.com/service/avalan...safety-center/

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    These shops in Andermatt carry Mammut:
    Uri:
    Alpina Sport AG, Gotthardstrasse 101, CH-6490 Andermatt, +41 41 887 17 88, info@alpina-sport.ch, www.alpina-sport.ch
    Meyer's Sporthaus AG, Gotthardstrasse 93, CH-6490 Andermatt, +41 41 887 12 32, mail@meyers-sporthaus.ch

This is close to Andermatt:
    Imholz Sport AG, Klausenstrasse 142, CH-6463 Bürglen Uri, +41 41 874 00 90, box@imholzsport.ch, www.imholzsport.ch, www.meyers-sporthaus.ch

Others near Disentis:
    Bächli Bergsport, Rheinfelsstrasse 39, CH-7000 Chur, +41 81 286 05 50, chur@baechli-bergsport.ch, www.baechli-bergsport.ch
    Menzli Sport AG, Via Alpsu 14, CH-7180 Disentis, +41 81 947 55 83, disentis@menzlisport.ch, http://www.menzlisport.ch

Norbert Joos Bergsport AG, Kasernenstrasse 90, CH-7000 Chur, +41 81 253 74 14, joos@bergsport.ch, www.bergsport.ch

From: https://us.mammut.com/service/avalan...safety-center/
    You’re the man - some drinks on me for all you’re doing!

I'm hoping vendul stocks a bunch of varieties of Kräuterlikör/schnapps/amaro.

In France and Western Switzerland, they have Genepi, the local funky herb infused liquor. I want to sample more of the local aqua vit.

Be still my liver....

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I'm hoping vendul stocks a bunch of varieties of Kräuterlikör/schnapps/amaro.

In France and Western Switzerland, they have Genepi, the local funky herb infused liquor. I want to sample more of the local aqua vit.
    Me as well. I always bring back a bottle of Genepi from my travels through the Alps. One sip and your back.
    I looking for a new smell

Oh fuck. I love amaros. This trip keeps getting better.

@luke: how does this canister thing work? I could pass by the Bächli dudes in ZH and depending about what Saturday we are talking hand this thing to you. Or is it more of a refill/ exchange?

I think vendul is good with the liquors. Nice choices over at his place (this is a first hand report!)

If you're there long enough just buy a one-shot canister for about 100 euro or so. Rental at La Grave was about 10-20 euro a day (can't remember exactly). Instead of renting, I purchased one in CH, and then when the trip was done, gave it to verbier61, he prolly still has it.

Questions about tickets...

I'd like to buy a skicard for Andermatt-Sedrun-Disentis, loaded for 4 days of skiing starting 19 March.

Looks straightforward:

Name:	ticketcorner1.JPG 
Views:	567 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	271785

Probably too close to the date to mail-order the card, right?

I can pick it up at a kKiosk or a Press & Books store.

Name:  ticketcorner2.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  44.4 KB

Locations for each:

Name:	kKiosk locations.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	271787

Name:	Press and books.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	359.4 KB 
ID:	271792

The Press & Books at the bahnhof in both Zurich and Chur are convenient... I was leaning towards approaching via Chur anyway (and departing via Goschenen/Bristen to Engelberg perhaps). The train change in Chur from the IC3 to the RE seems like a good opportunity to pick up the skicard.

Does this sound reasonable?
    Is this the One Skicard to Rule them All? If I ski at Engelberg, this is the same card to use there?

Is this the One Skicard to Rule them All? If I ski at Engelberg, this is the same card to use there?
    They are souvenirs. Unless things have changed, you'll end up with a pocket full of passes that you paid 5CHF for.

Despite the verbiage above, I'd be surprised if you can purchase that ticket at the window in town.

In e-Berg you can give your card back and get the deposit back. That has indeed changes and is now more common than the souvenir collection.

Most swiss have something called "swiss pass" for the trains. You can use this to load your skiticket onto. This is new and why things have changes.

I think Press and Book can do it. I also got one from a hotel lately and could hand it back at the resort.

Wich makes me think of: @vendul - can you get as reduced passes through your lodge?