Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Even though Bettmeralp is in the wrong direction, it's only 3 hours 21 minutes from there to Zurich, however. I had already identified Flims/Laax as another alternative as well, though. Negative that you have to change to a bus to get all the way into town, but not a deal killer. I'll explore the Engelberg option too. Right now sbb is showing it to be a bit of a hassle to get there, but that's checking next week. Hopefully the winter train schedule will be more robust.
    Engelberg is 2 hours from Zurich by train, going through Luzern.

It does require a number of train changes to get to E-berg from Rueras, but the Engelberg bahnhof is right in the middle of town. One can make the transfer from Andermatt to E-berg and ski the very next day, but it also an option to take a day to walk around in a medieval town.

Last year, I got stormed out at Engelberg and a friend of mine took me down into Luzern to check it out and I'm really glad he showed me around there.

Here's a picture from the footbridge from the train station side to the old town:

Picture from the old town:

Trust me on this: E-berg is AHMazing. AHHH MAAAAA ZINGGGGG . It's big, very big and very popular. Expensive. Miles and miles (or kilometers) of groimers chock full of Eurofur sporting chicness. Go over towards the Jochstock and your girl can ski groimers while you dip offpiste, meet at the lift. Or ski together in the morning and then go hit the Laub if it's stable.

I don't know if they have rooms. but the Skiers Lodge there is run by a bunch of Swedes that are tied into DPS.

I stayed here a few days last year: https://www.h-hotels.com/en/hplus/ho...otel-engelberg

I'm seeing 4.5 hours with 3 transfers from Rueras to Engelberg, leaving Rueras at 14:30, 15:30, 16:30; 17:30 arriving Engelberg 18:53, 19:53, 20:53 and 21:53 respectively.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-01-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Mountain Lodge Sedrun Maggot Deal

Maggot's Deal:
    - Single room 70chf per night
    - Double room 65 chf per night per person
    - family room ( 4 people) 55 chf per night per person
    This include: room + breakfast + apres ski dinner ( self service buffet served at 17:00)
    Lunch bag: ( sandwich and soft drink) +5chf, *must special order

Activities included ( with at least 10 participants...)
    - night fondue on tuesday night, train ride, than 30 minutes with skins or walking, return by skis or sleighed.
    - tram ride up to Tgom to tour Piz Maler ( great tour) !!!!>>>>*****<<<<!!!!
    - on thursday night music and fun night here at the Hotel's Bar
    Vendul - will this deal be available to us Maggots thinking about coming early or will this only be for during BBI?

All that needs to be added is lift tickets (40-60chf/day)
    Looks like if you buy a multiday ski arena pass you can get it below $40 per day

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Vendul - will this deal be available to us Maggots thinking about coming early or will this only be for during BBI?
    You pm'ed him, right?

Looks like if you buy a multiday ski arena pass you can get it below $40 per day
    Anyone want to step up to try to organize some sort of group ticket purchase?

Me and a non mag buddy are definitely in. Any other Utards on board yet? I’ll probably book airfare this week and will hopefully get a room at Vendul’s place.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Evidently vendul can get the TGoms lift running for us for a tour, it's a little hotel cable car across the valley, I think it holds 12 people:

https://disentis-sedrun.graubuenden....tgom-cable-car

It's about 700 vertical meters back down and all North facing.
    That'd be pretty cool

_________
    "It does require a number of train changes to get to E-berg from Rueras, but the Engelberg bahnhof is right in the middle of town. One can make the transfer from Andermatt to E-berg and ski the very next day, but it also an option to take a day to walk around in a medieval town.

Last year, I got stormed out at Engelberg and a friend of mine took me down into Luzern to check it out and I'm really glad he showed me around there."
    ------------------------
    Splitting it up with a day in Luzern sounds like the best option with that long of a transfer time if I can find someplace to store a couple of bags while wandering the town. If it's that easy to get to Zurich, maybe I can trade that day off for skiing on the back end day (Saturday), and then heading up to a Zurich Flughaven airport late afternoon Saturday.

That maggot deal is screamingly good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

_________
    "It does require a number of train changes to get to E-berg from Rueras, but the Engelberg bahnhof is right in the middle of town. One can make the transfer from Andermatt to E-berg and ski the very next day, but it also an option to take a day to walk around in a medieval town.

Last year, I got stormed out at Engelberg and a friend of mine took me down into Luzern to check it out and I'm really glad he showed me around there."
    ------------------------
    Splitting it up with a day in Luzern sounds like the best option with that long of a transfer time if I can find someplace to store a couple of bags while wandering the town. If it's that easy to get to Zurich, maybe I can trade that day off for skiing on the back end day (Saturday), and then heading up to a Zurich Flughaven airport late afternoon Saturday.
    All the rail stations (bahnhof) have places to stash bags.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    That maggot deal is screamingly good.
    There's bound to be some 2005 red burgundy kicking around there.

always tempting.... also FWIW, Zurich Airport has a long term luggage storage place. costs a couple of bucks. Left my skis and boots there for a week when I went to Spain between comps. Pretty handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

_________

------------------------
    Luggage storage:
    https://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage .

Luzern is a big station.

More info:
    https://www.myswissalps.com/forum/to...luzern-station

<<"Are there usually luggage lockers free at Luzern station during the day (it will be a Tuesday)?">>
    They are away out on the platform beside track number 2
    plans.trafimage.ch/luz ern#?lang=en&layer=luzern_a ussenplan&x=666022&y=2 11156&r=0.29
    This link may help..scroll down for map and further for Equipment and Mobility at the Staion, and then scroll down for lockers.
    http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-service...e-station.html
    <<"Lockers
    Size W x H x D in cm Prices in CHF Number
    small 24.8 x 42.0 x 75.0 6 147
    medium 31.7 x 61.5 x 75.0 7 144
    large 44.7 x 61.5 x 88.0 9 24">>
    http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-service...e-station.html
    If they are not empty for you, use the left luggage office. Please check the opening hours when you do that.
    Most do not stay open late enough in the evening; lockers are available 24 hours per day.

For any mags on the fence: take the chance, it will pay DIVIDENDS. What Buster is assembling will be incredible and at a great price.

Wife and I spent went to Cham last March then went south to Aosta for a sorta-organized touring/freeride hut trip (http://backofbeyond.ski/en/ ). Amazing experience, and the Euro hut lifestyle (meals! wines! beer!) create a full package. Good thing happening hear; wish I could spend another "spring break" skiing zee Alps this year!

i’m gonna grab airfare for me and my wife this week as well. will sit on many lifts and trains for a week or so. eyeing the maggot lodge for the main show. thanks for the inspiration & research.

I'm flying in 3/14 or 15, probably via Icelandair and then leaving somewhere between 3/23 and 3/25. Haven't booked yet, hoping I can use my Alaska air miles.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    i’m gonna grab airfare for me and my wife this week as well. will sit on many lifts and trains for a week or so. eyeing the maggot lodge for the main show. thanks for the inspiration & research.
    sweet dude.

lot 4 invades central swizz, goddamn

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I'm flying in 3/14 or 15, probably via Icelandair and then leaving somewhere between 3/23 and 3/25. Haven't booked yet, hoping I can use my Alaska air miles.
    If you fly icelandair (and other budget airlines) be sure to pay for all checked baggage in advance and keep that in mind when calculating costs. Also, bring your own food on the flight.

If there's no costumes... tempting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    If there's no costumes... tempting...
    Jump in so I can have someone to take a long tour with. Even if Mofro decides to show up, we'll never see him once he's in his skis.

Oh man. So tempting...

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Jump in so I can have someone to take a long tour with. Even if Mofro decides to show up, we'll never see him once he's in his skis.
    If you fuckers start wearing lederhosen...

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    always tempting.... .
    You and I need to talk about this.. as we discussed the other weekend.

ACH too.. as discussed on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    If you fuckers start wearing lederhosen...
    Best I can do is... Edelweiss suspenders. Might actually make them a permanent addition to the bibs. Pretty innocent and hidden... but can't speak for these other wackos

Costumes.. Don’t Europeans think Americans are clowns? We good then

ok, tickets purchased. muthafuckin WOOT

arrive ZRH 12:30 Mon Mar 18
    depart ZRH 13:30 Mon Mar 25

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    ok, tickets purchased. muthafuckin WOOT

arrive ZRH 12:30 Mon Mar 18
    depart ZRH 13:30 Mon Mar 25
    Great!!!