Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1204
  1. #1176
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    EuroBBI20 potential itinerary:

    If Alagna has good snow:
    Day 0 land; get to Rueras
    Day 1 - 5 Ski Disentis-Andermatt
    Day 5 evening drive to Alagna if Alagna has snow (4 hours)
    Day 6, 7 Ski Alagna
    Day 7 evening drive to La Grave (4 hours)
    Day 8-13 Ski La Grave
    Day 13 evening drive to Rueras (6 hours)
    Day 14 Ski or Leave.

    If Alagna has bad snow:
    Day 0 land; get to Rueras
    Day 1 - 6 Ski Disentis-Andermatt (Klosters/Bivio day trip options?)
    Day 6 evening drive to La Grave (6 hours)
    Day 7-13 Ski La Grave (Serre Chevalier/Milky Way/Queyras day trip options?)
    Day 13 evening drive to Rueras (6 hours)
    Day 14 Ski or Leave.
    Buster, have you given any thought to Prali as an option on this itinerary? I don't know anything about it other than the occasional mention of "the valley which shall not be named" or some crap like that. It seems like it might fit the BBI vibe pretty well and could be a nice in-between stop when transiting from Sedrun to La Grave. Potentially ski 4-5 days in each of the 3 locations?

  2. #1177
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28,862
    i love reading this thread
    .

  3. #1178
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    20,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    Buster, have you given any thought to Prali as an option on this itinerary? I don't know anything about it other than the occasional mention of "the valley which shall not be named" or some crap like that. It seems like it might fit the BBI vibe pretty well and could be a nice in-between stop when transiting from Sedrun to La Grave. Potentially ski 4-5 days in each of the 3 locations?
    Sure, Prali would work. I've never been, but I've read it gets these huDge storms called a retour d'est. Similarly for the Queyras areas of Ceillac and Abries. My dentist has awesome subscriptions.

    I would like to go back to Alagna someday; it's a beautiful, small, isolated village in the Monte Rosa complex with enormous itineraries possible and it's kind of on the way, but accessible only by auto. It's a lot like LG in terms of size, but Italian and Southfacing.
    https://vcdn.bergfex.at/images/downs...274ed1e@2x.jpg

    But the consensus for most seems to be to stay closer to Rueras and not bother with the 6 hour drive getting over to Serre Chevalier/LG and back. So let's see how stuff develops. I would very much like to go back to LG.

    If there's no other interest in a road trip, it looks like there's trains that leave Andermatt at 12:40, 14:40 or 15:40 that get into Oulx, Italy at 19:30, 21:30 and 22:30, respectively. From there can get a ride from there via Taxi de La Meije which takes about an hour and a half. Or better yet, stay in Oulx that night and ski across the Milky Way to Montgenevre and get taxi from there.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 04-06-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  4. #1179
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Land of the Long Flat Vowel
    Posts
    798
    Spent a season in Serre Che, and itís a great place. Can get skunked, though, if storms come from NW or N. Vicinity to La Grave huge bonus. Skied Alagna back in 1990 when the old lifts were in place. Insane area with massive lines.

  5. #1180
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    20,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    . Skied Alagna back in 1990 when the old lifts were in place. Insane area with massive lines.
    How can anyone not love a place that has a "Dentists Couloir"?

    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  6. #1181
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southside of heaven
    Posts
    2,999
    Michele, enough thanks canít be given for the hospitality you shared with all of us. I donít think I ever saw you stop smiling.

    Couple of shitty phone pics.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5917.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	321.5 KB 
ID:	277458

    Waiting for the train to Andermatt on Tuesday morning. As Buster says, ski racks on trains is the pinnacle of a culture.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5920.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	299.7 KB 
ID:	277459

    Big mountains.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5922.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	324.2 KB 
ID:	277460

    Cabin porn.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5924.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	334.5 KB 
ID:	277461

    Top of the northwest couloir at Corviglia. One of the many amazing options off the tram.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5930.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	330.4 KB 
ID:	277462

    Fun.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5931.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	308.8 KB 
ID:	277463

    One of the best bartenders Iíve ever had and all around good dude.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5935.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	364.0 KB 
ID:	277464

    LWS, CascadeLuke, 2Funky, and the mrs. to scale.






    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  7. #1182
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    20,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    OK you holdouts with the fancy pants cameras:


    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Not that gif again!

    I took 850 pictures and have sorted through about a third of them. Hope to get 75 keepers
    Are they stuck in outer Slackistan?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  8. #1183
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Snowttingham
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I'll just put this here:


    10 miles from Briancon on the left^^^, a walled city designed by Napoleons Military architect, to Monetier les Bains on the right ^^^. All skiable with 1200 meters vertical drop average.
    15 miles from Monetier Les Bains to La Grave.

    A neat hotel in MLB:


    Briancon:


    Monetier Les Bain is a 5.5 hour drive from Rueras; leave at 15:30, arrive at 21:00
    i must also add that serre chevalier has a huge ancient larch forest(larch grow further apart than the other native trees to the alps) with some simply divine tree skiing.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

  9. #1184
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    6,944

    First EuroBBI Thursday March 21, 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    Michele, enough thanks canít be given for the hospitality you shared with all of us. I donít think I ever saw you stop smiling.

    Couple of shitty phone pics.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5917.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	321.5 KB 
ID:	277458

    Waiting for the train to Andermatt on Tuesday morning. As Buster says, ski racks on trains is the pinnacle of a culture.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5920.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	299.7 KB 
ID:	277459

    Big mountains.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5922.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	324.2 KB 
ID:	277460

    Cabin porn.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5924.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	334.5 KB 
ID:	277461

    Top of the northwest couloir at Corviglia. One of the many amazing options off the tram.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5930.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	330.4 KB 
ID:	277462

    Fun.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5931.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	308.8 KB 
ID:	277463

    One of the best bartenders Iíve ever had and all around good dude.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5935.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	364.0 KB 
ID:	277464

    LWS, CascadeLuke, 2Funky, and the mrs. to scale.






    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That was a great way to end my trip that day. Thanks for cruising around with me. Crazy skiing perfect corn on one aspect then winter pow on the other.

  10. #1185
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Spent a season in Serre Che, and itís a great place. Can get skunked, though, if storms come from NW or N. Vicinity to La Grave huge bonus. Skied Alagna back in 1990 when the old lifts were in place. Insane area with massive lines.
    I have taken to planning solo ski trips from (far) northern Europe to the Alps. SC was my spot for next season, due to affordability (France is cheappppp) and proximity to La grave. Would be happy to make this trip when a bunch of others were there as well so as to not ski alone for 10 days. Also interested in other locations too, I suppose

  11. #1186
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Snowttingham
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    I have taken to planning solo ski trips from (far) northern Europe to the Alps. SC was my spot for next season, due to affordability (France is cheappppp) and proximity to La grave. Would be happy to make this trip when a bunch of others were there as well so as to not ski alone for 10 days. Also interested in other locations too, I suppose
    correction France is anytging but cheap and the coffee is gash but the skiing is mega.
    basing in the sesh valley opens up opportunities for you to ski plenty of other places.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

  12. #1187
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    318
    sorry for the delay: I also got some shots from our Operalpstock outing - enjoy:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2692.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	532.3 KB 
ID:	278318


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2716.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	574.5 KB 
ID:	278319


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2738.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	641.4 KB 
ID:	278320


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2747.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	723.7 KB 
ID:	278321


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2757.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	716.1 KB 
ID:	278322


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2759.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	694.4 KB 
ID:	278323


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2766.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	498.6 KB 
ID:	278324


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2770.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	716.1 KB 
ID:	278325


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2785.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	493.4 KB 
ID:	278326

  13. #1188
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sedrun CH
    Posts
    318
    Chris Looks very sad in that picture!!!


    Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando TGR Forums

  14. #1189
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by vendul View Post
    Chris Looks very sad in that picture!!!
    and understandably so!

  15. #1190
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    20,114
    ME looks happy too:
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  16. #1191
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Land of the Long Flat Vowel
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    How can anyone not love a place that has a "Dentists Couloir"?


    Just out of sight to the right are Malfatta and Punta Vittoria - epic runs in a wild environment. Check the link below for more.

    https://fatmap.com/routeid/19562/Pun...0548107,normal

  17. #1192
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,987
    Quote Originally Posted by vendul View Post
    Chris Looks very sad in that picture!!!


    Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando TGR Forums
    I must have been thinking of those mussels at mt-lodge.

  18. #1193
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    6,944
    Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    I must have been thinking of those mussels at mt-lodge.
    Miss that smile and canít think of a time you didnít have it on.
    Those mussels tho!

  19. #1194
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    38
    Technophobe in Paris chiming in here finally...

    It was fantastic to ski with you all. What a great group of guys and badass skiers. What a pleasure!

    I will be here waiting for next year and anyone who wants to come back out here to the Alps and ski the Gotthard again. Also, give consideration to the La Grave proposal. It's an f*ing amazing hill, with several other options in the area depending on weather and conditions. The biggest difference I'd say is the lack of trains and requirement for vehicle transport. The trains sure are amazing for getting around freely in Switzer-stan!

  20. #1195
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    38
    a trickle of photos....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190317_172357_HDR.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	278534
    The Rueras train station.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190317_172759.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	278533
    Goats!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190318_163716.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	278532
    Horses!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190318_163904.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	278535
    Trains!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190319_080751.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	278536
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190319_081243.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	278537
    The mighty Gemsstock

  21. #1196
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Land of the Long Flat Vowel
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    How can anyone not love a place that has a "Dentists Couloir"?

    Or Canale Pisse?

    I can't believe what they did to the lift system there. For those of you who didn't know, there used to be a lift from the valley in the lower righthand corner of that photo to Bocchetta delle Pisse. Old fashioned bucket lift, where you had to run with your gear and jump on. It served that entire La Balma area.

  22. #1197
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    20,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Or Canale Pisse?

    I can't believe what they did to the lift system there. For those of you who didn't know, there used to be a lift from the valley in the lower righthand corner of that photo to Bocchetta delle Pisse. Old fashioned bucket lift, where you had to run with your gear and jump on. It served that entire La Balma area.
    We skied it in 96 with the old Punta Indren cable car. The pomas up top weren't running.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  23. #1198
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    20,114
    venduls new website:

    https://www.mt-lodge.com/

    I had a fantastic time, big thanks to Serena and Michele!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  24. #1199
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,006
    The website looks awesome and will be a giant asset to your business. This TR, Buster's concierge services and cheerleading and the general radness of the zone have put it on the "get there as soon as you fucking can!" list.

  25. #1200
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sedrun CH
    Posts
    318
    Thanks! Well, BusterĎs local Knowledge even outperforms locals!


    Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando TGR Forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •