Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

First EuroBBI Thursday March 21, 2019

.Name:  untitled.png
Views: 3223
Size:  5.7 KB

flowing alpy has kindly extended the Bobby Baker Invitational franchise and the love of lot4 to Europe for spring 2019. Dates: March 18-22, 2019

vendul has generously offered to host and play rendezvous locale for the event at their hotel, mt-lodge, which is smack dab in the middle of the new massive Andermatt/Disentis SkiArena .

In order to make a reservation at mt-lodge, pm vendul with your request.

He will respond with bank info to wire money. They don't like to hold cc info.

http://www.mt-lodge.com in Rueras Switzerland
    Mountain Lodge Sedrun Maggot Deal

Maggot's Deal:
    - Single room 70chf per night
    - Double room 65 chf per night per person
    - family room ( 4 people) 55 chf per night per person
    This include: room + breakfast + apres ski dinner ( self service buffet served at 17:00)
    Lunch bag: ( sandwich and soft drink) +5chf, *must special order

Activities included ( with at least 10 participants...)
    - night fondue on tuesday night, train ride, than 30 minutes with skins or walking, return by skis or sleighed.
    - tram ride up to Tgom to tour Piz Maler ( great tour) !!!!>>>>*****<<<<!!!!
    - on thursday night music and fun night here at the Hotel's Bar

Attendance poll: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/..._19-DANCE-CARD

The distance from Andermatt to Disentis is 32 km, skiable from Andermatt to Sedrun and connected by Swiss trains included on the lift ticket. It's an amazing complex with something for everyone in one of the most snow sure spots in the Alps. Andermatt is the Alta of Europe.

At Andermatt, there's groomers galore, smooth new gondolas and topping it off is the Gemsstock tram, a little over 1500 meters of vertical from which one can ski in virtually any direction with boatloads of backcountry. The Gemsstock is famous for backcountry runs like the Giraffe, The Guspis ending in Hospental, requiring a train trip back to Andermatt and the Hans Im Glugg heading off the backside towards a hutte. The number of couloirs easily accessible from the Gemsstock is probably close to 100.

At Disentis, one has a vertical drop of a little under 1700 meters, largely south facing with lots of easy accessible interesting sidecountry. For touring, there's hour long skins that access awesome couloirs and even longer tours that provide access to several different North facing routes of over 2000 vertical meters. Also, a new tram from Sedrun up into the Disentis complex is scheduled for completion in March.

Also worth mentioning is Airolo in the Italian part of CH which is accessed through the Gotthard Tunnel (!) from Goeschenen. It's 10 minutes ride from Goeschenen and about 2 hours by train from Rueras/Sedrun, a little over an hour from Andermatt by train. Sometimes, they get massive dumps down there when Andermatt gets less or more often is a refuge when Andermatt gets stormed out. It's sunny there often too and Italienne.

Andermatt is a 40 minute train ride from mt-lodge. Disentis is 10 minutes by train from mt-lodge. The train is included in mt-lodge room rates and Andermatt-Sedrun lift passes. There is a glassed in bar car that runs between Disentis and Andermatt at the end of the day.

Access is incredibly easy via Swiss rail: https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html from any major city in Europe. If one goes in through Goeschenen, there's an old cog railway that winds up a short but spectacular gorge to Andermatt.

Lodging resources include:

http://www.mt-lodge.com, a maggot owned small hotel 300 feet from a train station at Rueras between Andermatt and Sedrun .

http://www.gasthaus-goescheneralp.ch, run by Seraina Wicky (touring required to access their hutte above Goeschenen) .

http://www.chalet-hotel-krone.ch a lodge in Goeschenen providing easy access to Airolo via train through the Gotthard tunnel.

https://www.basecamp-andermatt.com/en is cool, requires a 1/4 mile hike up a slope under the Natchen gondola from the Andermatt train station.

Guiding resources include:

http://www.andermatt-guides.ch/EN - run by expat Dan Loutrel who knows where to get the goods and provides sidecountry guiding as well as multi day hutte tours and the secret stashes of farmers lifts. Danny is a gas.

Regarding a guide, vote here please.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Guide-Day-Poll

If there's any information I can help with, ask.

I will update this thread as information becomes available.

Flights are dirt cheap now, it's easy and relatively inexpensive as compared to virtually any ski resort in North America. If all goes according to plan, I should be there then.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-30-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yes!

Sweet. I am pretty sure I’ll be landing in Zurich on 3/20 and just need to be in Cham by 3/24. I should be able to make it for a day or 2.

hmmmmmmm....

Great. I can't really swing a private guide, but if we have 4 people, we could get Dan or one of his guides to do the Oberalpstock : 2000+ vertical North facing backcountry down the backside of Disentis, conditions permitting.

Danny also knows the farmers lifts in the area and while they're not the glaciated madness of Cham, they are incredibly fucking cool and access massive networks of easy touring huttes.

I just nailed down a $525 SEA-ZRH R/T. Budget about $150/day, a little more if we do guiding, less if we're careful. ZRH to Andermatt is a 3 hour train ride with a couple of changes, around $50US each way.

vendul is doing some sums to figure out what rates he can offer.

Also, 90 minutes to the East of venduls mt-lodge.com by train and bus is Flims/Laax/Falera, 1900 vertical meters of lift served:
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-11-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Wow. If only....

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Wow. If only....
    If only what? It’s cheap, easy and someone else did all the planning for you already......

If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be at least one year older when you do.

Honestly, if transportation is limited to $700 r/t airfare and train transfers ZRH/Andermatt, it may be possible to keep the daily expenses around $120US/day, so cost is around $1300 for 5 days of skiing. Compare that with a heli day?

Plus, this is about the easiest way to do a Euro ski trip without having to pay some travel agency. Paris, Geneva and Zurich airports have train stations integrated. Basel is a short bus ride away. It's so much easier than travelling in the USA.

Damn, this sounds awesome.

Hmmmmmmm I've only been to Andermatt in the summer. Time to think

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Hmmmmmmm I've only been to Andermatt in the summer. Time to think
    You've been, tell people how easy it is to fly in and hop a train.

Also, Eurail is an option if people want to travel more: https://www.eurail.com/en

Also, go check http://www.mt-lodge.com rates, which are listed by room. He's got single rooms for 45E/night. One of them is mine.

First EuroBBI Thursday March 21, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    If only what? It’s cheap, easy and someone else did all the planning for you already......

If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be at least one year older when you do.

Oh I don’t know. Maybe things like the family, who want to go on a tropical vacation this year. Limited time off from work, other financial obligations. If I was a DINK it would be a no brainer, alas.....

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    You've been, tell people how easy it is to fly in and hop a train.
    It is that easy. And the skiing is a real good time.

Dan at AndermattGuides is leading the Urner Haute Route, likely March 18th -23rd. Per an email from him yesterday. Once he confirms the dates I’ll be booking if any mags want to join. If there are BBI activities pre or post itd be rad to ski with some mags.

Edit: He said “we” will lead. Not sure if it’s be him or another of the guides.

I think I'll get to mt-lodge in Rueras/Sedrun March 17th and stay through the 22nd
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 09-25-2018 at 07:35 PM.

This is what I took away:
    The number of couloirs easily accessible from the Gemsstock is probably close to 100.

access to several different North facing routes of over 2000 vertical meters.

The train is included in mt-lodge room rates and Andermatt-Sedrun lift passes. There is a glassed in bar car that runs between Disentis and Andermatt at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    This is what I took away:

That's just better.

damn, nice

BBI = Buster Baker Initiative? Because Baker Bob doesn't board airplanes.

Intrigued.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    BBI = Buster Baker Initiative? Because Baker Bob doesn't board airplanes.

Intrigued.
    I know, but it's Bobby's franchise, so I'm putting credit where it's dew.

Single rooms at venduls are $50+tax/night without discounts, get 'em while you can.

I'll be bombing around E. Switzerland and Austria the week prior.

Probably in.

Also, Andermatt is renowned for having some of the best off-piste in Switz...

had 575 on the table round trip, balked..

how nice to be able to either pull or ease off the trigger!

nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    Probably in.

Also, Andermatt is renowned for having some of the best off-piste in Switz...
    I should be in Davos the weekend of the 16&17.

Sounds fkin awesome.

If anybody is renting a car, honor the speed limit. I was popped for speeding by a traffic camera near Zurich last September. Got a $70 citation in the mail back home a few weeks later. Ignored it (because it’s another country - what are the odds they’d follow up?) Got three or four more letters, and the last one said I’m flagged in their passport control system and will have to pay $300 next time I want to enter Switzerland, hah!