Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Without some financial windfall, I will be a no show. That said....all you first time Euro skiers...prepare to have your mind blown. Here are a couple of pieces of advice based on a handful of trips to the Alps and feedback from other first timers.

Do not be objective focused. Skiing is mountain travel. Take what the weather and conditions give. Generally, the weather patterns are more intense and longer lasting. The progression usually goes, storm skiing>freeride>ski tour>ski mountaineer. You will always see 'mericans crying in their beer because they are doing it wrong i.e. bitching about not being able to go on a tour because it is dumping snow when they should have been down valley in the trees or whining about heinous skied out conditions when you should have been miles from nowhere on a skin track.

Equipment. I've seen avalanches bury pistes in Engleberg twice. There generally is no concept of an avalanche controlled ski area. I suggest skiing with beacon, probe, shovel at all times. I am also of the belief that touring bindings and skins are part of group safety i.e. getting lost, having to go up hill, etc. You quiver skiers don't want to hear it but I suggest one pair of skis and bindings that you are comfortable skiing in all conditions. Blower, mank, groomers, icy couloirs, skating on XC tracks, bus rides, walking through town, eating lunch and full apres are likely to happen all in one run. The Euros don't feel constrained skiing the gnarly-ist of the gnar in touring equipment so why should you? You have all season to practice.

Communications. Cell service is amazing in the Alps as long as you have a cell phone that works in the Alps. Others can be more helpful in this regard. This is how the helicopter comes and saves your life. Ya'll should probably create a WhatsApp group so you can keep in touch on Wifi.

So it's agreed: PNWbrit will be required to tour in lederhosen and we'll start a fund for foggy's plane fare.

A couple of notes from our host in Rueras vendul:

0) The deal is good all week long, minimum night staying is 2. (*Me:I'm assuming the week begins on Monday March 18th and ends the 24th.)
    1) - If there's a group that would stay for 4 or more days I could ( and would love) organize a day trip of skiing in Engadin by van is 1.45h away from the Lodge (engadine is often underrated just because expensive, but is probably one of the three best spot in the Alps). *(Me: The Engadin is St. Moritz. It's really nuts for awesome skiing, the Corvatsch is hudge and scary, Diavolezza is up there with Chamonix in terms of incredible glacier views and rock and ice tours).
    2) Engelberg has a bit more vertical than Disentis but its size is about the half of what it is now the SkiArena.
    3) Andermatt and Sedrun are the same ski resort but without skis it takes a 40 minutes train ride to get from one side to the other.
    4) Andermatt is well located to get in and out from airports, but not really well off to go to other resorts, Engelberg is more than 3 hours by train, in this case from Sedrun you can reach with public transport Lax, Obersaxen, Brigls and in 3 hours even Arosa ( now connected with Lenzerheide).

Also, Rueras, where venduls hotel mt-lodge.com, is is a request stop, so one has to push a button on that train, like on city buses, to get the train to stop. It's an obvious button and all stopa are announced in at least 3 languages including English, German and French.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Do not be objective focused. Skiing is mountain travel. Take what the weather and conditions give. Generally, the weather patterns are more intense and longer lasting. The progression usually goes, storm skiing>freeride>ski tour>ski mountaineer. You will always see 'mericans crying in their beer because they are doing it wrong i.e. bitching about not being able to go on a tour because it is dumping snow when they should have been down valley in the trees or whining about heinous skied out conditions when you should have been miles from nowhere on a skin track...
    You quiver skiers don't want to hear it but I suggest one pair of skis and bindings that you are comfortable skiing in all conditions. Blower, mank, groomers, icy couloirs, skating on XC tracks, bus rides, walking through town, eating lunch and full apres are likely to happen all in one run. The Euros don't feel constrained skiing the gnarly-ist of the gnar in touring equipment so why should you?
    +1. Very valuable advice. It works in my favor as it is usually ignored.
    Also on this thread, I've heard of folks trying to avoid skins. You might reconsider making your vacation more difficult than it needs to be. Booting while friends are skinning will likely make you more tired for the descent.
    As for gear, even if you're bringing wide skis, light weight is such a benefit in town, in transit (you guys sound like you're all re-filming Planes, Trains and Automobiles), ascending, traversing, switching lifts at the midstation.
    Have fun. Jealous.

Hey guys!

I think I am up for it. I didn't read the whole thread yet but would like to join in and I am also happy to offer a couch to crash in Zurich for all those of you who might need one after flying in or on their way to the airport!

Looking into plans for day trips: I have a small car to lend out /carshare during BBI.

very much looking forward to my first BBI!

To add to Foggy's points, being flexible is really key and finding enjoyment in the moment, like all travelers should do. In my experience, when storms hit the Alps, they seem to be more persistent and one has to abandon plans for opportunities. Be prepared to be flexible, travel light, be kind.

Skins are not essential for a fantastic experience, but if people don't have them, don't be bummed when some group takes off on a tour.

Be of a mind to ski in pairs or smaller groups, as we may be in big terrain where large groups can be difficult to move, like when one goes touring, making plans to rendezvous at a hutte or lift at a given time. I'll give beta as much as I can, but I'm not a guide, just a bozo who like to rage around skiing.

On the guide thing, people might also consider making some tentative plans in that regard. Guides are expensive, but worth it for the bigger lines and powder days.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-02-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    ok, tickets purchased. muthafuckin WOOT

arrive ZRH 12:30 Mon Mar 18
    depart ZRH 13:30 Mon Mar 25
    X2!
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I can probably arrange a bed on Zurich as well...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I land ZRH Wednesday March 7 @ 11:00 am, leave ZRH March 23 @ 9:30 am.

In between, I hope to ski around CH/AUT for 3 days, train to Bad Gastein for 3 days, train back to St. Anton on the 13th for 2 days, then over to Davos on the 15th for 2 days, then pull into Rueras on the night of the 17th, leave Rueras on the late afternoon of the 22nd. So it's more like trains, trains and trains.

On getting from ZRH to Rueras, vendul says it's faster to go through Sargans and Chur and the gorge from Chur over to Safien is beautiful, but, may I rerereiterate how cool the old cogway from Goeschenen is.

Going through Goeschenen requires more transfers from train to train and an take up to an hour longer, but the cog train up to Andermatt from Goeschenen is really awesome, shrieking and winding up the bridges and avalanche sheds.

One can see Andermatt as one passes through from Goeschenen, again, likely requiring a train change there before chugging over the Oberalppass, which again is really impressive. Of course we may be bored with the Oberalppass since we'll be traversing it a few times by train and ski.

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to fill a canister for airbag there?

If you haven't been to Fieberbrunn you should consider a stop there. Big, cool mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I land ZRH Wednesday March 7 @ 11:00 am, leave ZRH March 23 @ 9:30 am.

In between, I hope to ski around CH/AUT for 3 days, train to Bad Gastein for 3 days, train back to St. Anton on the 13th for 2 days, then over to Davos on the 15th for 2 days, then pull into Rueras on the night of the 17th, leave Rueras on the late afternoon of the 22nd. So it's more like trains, trains and trains.
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    not difficult at all.

ABS/Ortovox canisters should be no issue around andermatt (perhaps not around the hotel specifically if it’s a ways out). I’m not as familiar with other tech/interchangeability (I understand N America has a lot more of the fan/battery stuff?).

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    If you haven't been to Fieberbrunn you should consider a stop there. Big, cool mountain.
    So many radities, so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
    Oh man. So tempting...
    Bring Juan Valdez!

On the touring side of things; are the climbs mostly modest? Anyone care to rate average difficulty for the hikes, on scale of 1-10?

This is going to be really fun. I'm excited.

On the touring side of things; are the climbs mostly modest? Anyone care to rate average difficulty for the hikes, on scale of 1-10?
    Depends on what we do.

The Oberalpstock is 3 hours of climbing including skinning, bootpacking and rebar climbing:

Looks like these guys ^ snowboarded back down towards Sedrun, but at least the video gives one an impression of the climb.

The skins up the Gendusas are not that long and about 500 vertical feet, but fairly steep with 8-10 kickturns.

The skins off the top of the Gemsstock are by and large mellow and not that long. like getting into the Guspis area the simple way is a 15 minute super easy skin, the other entries take maybe 45 minutes to an hour.

If people want to get after it, one can take the train to Realp at 1500 meters and skin up to 3000 meters.

I would like to do the Oberalpstock if the conditions warrant it. Other than that, I'm into riding the Gemsstock and Disentis lifts and doing shorter skins for a few laps, but mostly getting in riding lifts.

Everythong right up to shit your leather shorts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

We'll do some shakedown tours this fall/winter so you can get your gear sorted. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Without some financial windfall, I will be a no show. That said....all you first time Euro skiers...prepare to have your mind blown. Here are a couple of pieces of advice based on a handful of trips to the Alps and feedback from other first timers.

Do not be objective focused. Skiing is mountain travel. Take what the weather and conditions give. Generally, the weather patterns are more intense and longer lasting. The progression usually goes, storm skiing>freeride>ski tour>ski mountaineer. You will always see 'mericans crying in their beer because they are doing it wrong i.e. bitching about not being able to go on a tour because it is dumping snow when they should have been down valley in the trees or whining about heinous skied out conditions when you should have been miles from nowhere on a skin track.

Equipment. I've seen avalanches bury pistes in Engleberg twice. There generally is no concept of an avalanche controlled ski area. I suggest skiing with beacon, probe, shovel at all times. I am also of the belief that touring bindings and skins are part of group safety i.e. getting lost, having to go up hill, etc. You quiver skiers don't want to hear it but I suggest one pair of skis and bindings that you are comfortable skiing in all conditions. Blower, mank, groomers, icy couloirs, skating on XC tracks, bus rides, walking through town, eating lunch and full apres are likely to happen all in one run. The Euros don't feel constrained skiing the gnarly-ist of the gnar in touring equipment so why should you? You have all season to practice.

Communications. Cell service is amazing in the Alps as long as you have a cell phone that works in the Alps. Others can be more helpful in this regard. This is how the helicopter comes and saves your life. Ya'll should probably create a WhatsApp group so you can keep in touch on Wifi.
    Word, solid post.

Right on, thanks. I’m up for doing the bare minimum to access the goods. Sounding like BMT109s will be my ticket then.

Right on, thanks. I’m up for doing the bare minimum to access the goods. Sounding like BMT109s will be my ticket then.
    Bare minimum? Wut, r u lazy? Skinning in the mtns is highly enjoyable, not some chore.

I have those Vollicles and expect them to kick ass as a versatile travel ski. They're a joy to tour on.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Bare minimum? Wut, r u lazy? Skinning in the mtns is highly enjoyable, not some chore.

I have those Vollicles and expect them to kick ass as a versatile travel ski. They're a joy to tour on.
    He's a 10/1 downhill/uphill ratio kind of guy

Luke... you ever toured before? We'll have to take you out