Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I am planning to head over 4-5 days prior to bbi event to enjoy the area and explore.

Mrs. LWS is also attending. She's enjoys the less gnar and the images of long euro groomers with mountain vistas have her pretty excited . We will plan on skiing together the 1st half of the trip and then when the mags roll in to town she's planning on skiing solo/enjoying the local culture so I can go get after it.
    So you are bailing on BBIUT? I see how it is.

Wish I could make a Europe trip happen this year. Unfortunately its not in the cards, but it is definitely a long term goal!

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    So you are bailing on BBIUT? I see how it is.

Wish I could make a Europe trip happen this year. Unfortunately its not in the cards, but it is definitely a long term goal!
    Yeah, sorry man. It's an either or kinda deal for me and I've never been to Europe.

Another information resource on Andermatt and the offpiste/freeride routes:

https://wepowder.com/en/andermatt-gemsstock
    (the Winterhorn lifts shown above Hospental have been decommissioned)

The only ones displayed that really require skins are Blauberg and Castelhorn.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    I'll still be at the alpy festivities, not to worry.

I’m really warming up to making this trip happen. It’s obviously amazing situation you put together Buster- thanks for heading this up. My desire is there, gonna work on pulling the strings. I’m a euro jong tho. If some other cats are leaving out of SeaTac and want to galvanize- let a mag know

I haven't put anything together, I'm just sharing what I've learned from experiences with Dan Loutrel ( http://www.andermatt-guides.ch/EN ) and offers of accommodations from vendul (http://www.mt-lodge.com).
    Just show up and ski.

It's Bobby's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    I’m really warming up to making this trip happen. It’s obviously amazing situation you put together Buster- thanks for heading this up. My desire is there, gonna work on pulling the strings. I’m a euro jong tho. If some other cats are leaving out of SeaTac and want to galvanize- let a mag know
    I won't know until way closer to the dates but I could have a car to pickup/shuttle a few mags if needed. This likely coincides with a work trip in the spring. Now I just gotta try and make the visits line up correctly.

And make sure the girlfriend doesn't get annoyed at my being out of town for my birthday

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    PM’d ya Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I mentioned to others that if one has an extra couple of days, Engelberg is about a 3 hour train ride from Andermatt and just off one of the trains routes back to Zurich, intersection at Luzern.

Engelberg is different than Andermatt, much bigger older resort village, much, much bigger lift system, 2000 meter vertical descents, glacier skiing, with more legendary sidecountry that doesn't require skins.

It's much more expensive and resorty than Andermatt, but really worth it if you have an couple extra days and an extra $500.
    Can totally vouch for E'Berg. Spent 2 days there - one whiteout storm day, one good vis day. Guided around by 2 different groups of random locals who showed me such an amazing time. Skied one of the longest vert runs in my life by walking about 10 minutes. Can't wait to get back there one day, if you have a chance ski there.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

I mentioned to others that if one has an extra couple of days, Engelberg is about a 3 hour train ride from Andermatt and just off one of the trains routes back to Zurich, intersection at Luzern.

Engelberg is different than Andermatt, much bigger older resort village, much, much bigger lift system, 2000 meter vertical descents, glacier skiing, with more legendary sidecountry that doesn't require skins.

It's much more expensive and resorty than Andermatt, but really worth it if you have an couple extra days and an extra $500.

Luzern is also worth a stop if 700+ year old stone buildings and alleys is your thing. Walk across the river on a footbridge that has paintings of the Spanish Armada from the train stationto the old town on the hill.
    Tickets purchased. Land in Zurich March 16 and will plan to head to Andermatt and then back out of Zurich on Sunday the 24th. LWS, Mrs. Mike will be joining me and she is a groomers only, so we may have to get the 2 of them together for a day or 2 of play, and my wife has already mentioned that she might day trip to Luzern one day. We will probably spend 3-4 days around Andermatt and then bounce somewhere else with more approachable skiing for her, and just some variety in general. I'm eyeballing Bettermalp for the relocation partly just because it looks wicked easy to access from Andermatt. Anyone have a report on that?

Buster, keep your eyes open for a PM. I need some recommendations on what to buy. My limited backcountry (Euro style) experience has always been guided, so I need some skins, probe and transceiver.

It is finally turning white outside!

First EuroBBI Thursday March 21, 2019

This is pretty much a go for me. Flights have creeped up to $700ish including all checked baggage. Nailing down air fare soon and sleeping accommodations.
    Super pumped.
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 10-01-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Tickets purchased. Land in Zurich March 16 and will plan to head to Andermatt and then back out of Zurich on Sunday the 24th. LWS, Mrs. Mike will be joining me and she is a groomers only, so we may have to get the 2 of them together for a day or 2 of play, and my wife has already mentioned that she might day trip to Luzern one day. We will probably spend 3-4 days around Andermatt and then bounce somewhere else with more approachable skiing for her, and just some variety in general.
    Andermatt and Disentis have lots and lots of groimers, The Gemsstock has intermediate groimers on the upper half with a little bit of a pitch on the groimers down into town, but still just "advanced".
    The Natschen portion of Andermatt (takes a little 5 minute jitney across town) is where all the fur clad eurochic types ski, so there's acres there and it continues over 15+ miles over to Rueras/Sedrun where venduls place is. Disentis also has a lot of big nice intermediate groimers.
    I'm eyeballing Bettermalp for the relocation partly just because it looks wicked easy to access from Andermatt. Anyone have a report on that?
    Bettermalp is not really on the way back to Zurich. It's cool to see since the cable cars go up over the train tracks there, but I'm not sure that's your best bet. Flims/Laax are just another 40 minutes to the East which is a huDge complex easy to access. But Engelberg is really the best place to hit on the way back from Andermatt. Other options include Davos and Arosa/Lenzerheide.

Choosing Engelberg could afford a stopover/transfer day in Luzern: leave early, fart around in Luzern for a day, take an evening train to Engelberg. I've stayed at the H+ hotel there, one of the better deals and 3 blocks from the train and right on the bus route to the Titlis.

Here's the Swiss rail map :
    https://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/infra...bbdownload.pdf

I think it displays cable cars too.

Buster, keep your eyes open for a PM. I need some recommendations on what to buy. My limited backcountry (Euro style) experience has always been guided, so I need some skins, probe and transceiver.
    OK, the standard is international for transceivers and people can bicker about those endlessly as well with skins.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-01-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Mountain Lodge Sedrun Maggot Deal

Maggot's Deal:
    - Single room 70chf per night
    - Double room 65 chf per night per person
    - family room ( 4 people) 55 chf per night per person
    This include: room + breakfast + apres ski dinner ( self service buffet served at 17:00)
    Lunch bag: ( sandwich and soft drink) +5chf, *must special order

Activities included ( with at least 10 participants...)
    - night fondue on tuesday night, train ride, than 30 minutes with skins or walking, return by skis or sleighed.
    - tram ride up to Tgom to tour Piz Maler ( great tour) !!!!>>>>*****<<<<!!!!
    - on thursday night music and fun night here at the Hotel's Bar

This is an awesome deal, like it used to be in Andermatt 6 years ago. All that needs to be added is lift tickets (40-60chf/day) which keeps costs below $150US/day not including transpo.

http://www.mt-lodge.com

You should PM me for a password to use when you make your reservation.

Rooms:

Big thanks for vendul for putting this offer together.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-01-2018 at 02:02 PM.

vendul is finalizing the offers on rooms and board, some really cool stuff in the works. Stay tuned.
    Nice. I’ll pull the trigger once the details are avail.

Looking like a go for me
    Let’s party!

Fuck yeah!

Euro dweebs beware... buncha uncultured uncouth wide-eyed mouth-breathing muricans headed yer way!

gawddamn i'm super psyched for this even tho i will never sniff it. can't wait for pics and stories. still shooting for utah

[QUOTE=Norseman;5453571]Fuck yeah!

Euro dweebs beware... buncha uncultured uncouth wide-eyed mouth-breathing muricans headed yer way![/QUOTE
    And we love it!!!!

For transceivers, etc, you can also rent if you don’t want to drop $$ on a purchase. You should be able to get touring skis (will have frame bindings) and skins too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I pretty sure I can make this happen, but it's looking hard to get both the BBI UT and bbiYurp in given the dates. I don't think with all my other ski time(s) off that I can commit a full 2 weeks to get the cheapest fares.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Evidently vendul can get the TGoms lift running for us for a tour, it's a little hotel cable car across the valley, I think it holds 12 people:

https://disentis-sedrun.graubuenden....tgom-cable-car

It's about 700 vertical meters back down and all North facing.

Andermatt and Disentis have lots and lots of groimers, The Gemsstock has intermediate groimers on the upper half with a little bit of a pitch on the groimers down into town, but still just "advanced".
    The Natschen portion of Andermatt (takes a little 5 minute jitney across town) is where all the fur clad eurochic types ski, so there's acres there and it continues over 15+ miles over to Rueras/Sedrun where venduls place is. Disentis also has a lot of big nice intermediate groimers.

Bettermalp is not really on the way back to Zurich. It's cool to see since the cable cars go up over the train tracks there, but I'm not sure that's your best bet. Flims/Laax are just another 40 minutes to the East which is a huDge complex easy to access. But Engelberg is really the best place to hit on the way back from Andermatt. Other options include Davos and Arosa/Lenzerheide.

Choosing Engelberg could afford a stopover/transfer day in Luzern: leave early, fart around in Luzern for a day, take an evening train to Engelberg. I've stayed at the H+ hotel there, one of the better deals and 3 blocks from the train and right on the bus route to the Titlis.

Here's the Swiss rail map :
    https://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/infra...bbdownload.pdf

I think it displays cable cars too.

OK, the standard is international for transceivers and people can bicker about those endlessly as well with skins.
    Even though Bettmeralp is in the wrong direction, it's only 3 hours 21 minutes from there to Zurich, however. I had already identified Flims/Laax as another alternative as well, though. Negative that you have to change to a bus to get all the way into town, but not a deal killer. I'll explore the Engelberg option too. Right now sbb is showing it to be a bit of a hassle to get there, but that's checking next week. Hopefully the winter train schedule will be more robust.

NW representing tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I pretty sure I can make this happen, but it's looking hard to get both the BBI UT and bbiYurp in given the dates. I don't think with all my other ski time(s) off that I can commit a full 2 weeks to get the cheapest fares.
    Dew it. I'll try to be faster. promise.