Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I think this is the right place to buy lift tickets:
    https://ski.ticketcorner.ch/resort/9...ate=17.03.2019
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by vendul View Post
    Attachment 248789
    These are the SkiArena ski tickets prices for those days, when purchased in advance... pretty interesting isn't it?
    i've always loved working weekends. damn on those flight prices. jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    i've always loved working weekends. damn on those flight prices. jesus.
    $420 RT!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    $420 RT!
    $375 from Denver.

If planned out right, You can ski Switzerland and definitely spend less than what you would spend skiing in a North American resort

If planned out right, You can ski Switzerland and definitely spend less than what you would spend skiing in a North American resort
    I still owe you a bbi sticker from a few years ago. It's in one of my notebooks. I'll give it to buster if I don't make this work out.

Are you still involved in the brewery?

If you guys are really price conscious and want to spreadsheet the ticket costs, remember that if you're touring without lift assistance, that could drop the total cost even lower. I say "could" because with the consecutive days discount, you might have to plan your tours at the end of the trip. In some areas, they'll sell you a card which charges per lift ride. Load up the card with a $100 and, if you're touring, it could last for days.
    This is going to be an epic trip. Sorry to miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I still owe you a bbi sticker from a few years ago. It's in one of my notebooks. I'll give it to buster if I don't make this work out.

Are you still involved in the brewery?
    Yes I still run it together with my brother, but it is now a side job for me... I hope you'll give me the sticker personally!!!

Attachment 248789
    These are the SkiArena ski tickets prices for those days, when purchased in advance... pretty interesting isn't it?
    geez, why are Wednesdays "ski free day"? Not that I'm complaining.

I keep wondering where Re, Fa, La and Ti are.

With the lonely goatherd

I might be able to make this. That flight out Denver is sick- didn't expect it to be so cheap. To be cobtinued...

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Sent ya a pm

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Sent ya a pm
    replied

I am in

So what's the ideal gear setup?

I'm getting the sense that the ability to tour is important for maximum enjoyment but also that you're looking at big vert and "freeride" terrain.

Really excited about this.

There's a couple of big lines that require skinning and good weather, like the Oberalpstock, but really most of the skiing won't require touring gear. You can definitely scare yourself without skins, they are best if possible but not required. Worst case, lots of places rent touring gear around Andermatt. Or shit, try borrowing from the collectif here.

You definAtely need transceiver, shovel, probe, backpack, some emergency items and water bottles like any backcountry skiing day. I travel light with a 40 liter backpack that I use on the trains and sidecountry. Lots of sinklaundry. You're advised to stay upwind.

One of the longest runs at Andermatt, the Guspis, that ends in Hospental and requires a train ride back to Andermatt, does require a 1500 foot or so long bootpack or skin, but there's usually a bootpack in.

There are a number of other variations that requires skins and if we manage to get out to one of the farmers lift areas, skins are a good idea there too. There's huts in the area that are easy skins from the lifts too if anyone wants to do that.

But most of the uncontrolled sidecountry off the top of the Gemsstock like the Giraffe, the Hans Im Glugg and Felsental don't require skins. The sidecountry at Disentis like Val Gronda is on a big traverse and the Gendusas is possible to bootpack, but steep and skins recommended since it is long. There's lots of options for skinning up sidecountry and touring off the train.

Overall, I haven't skinned that much there and mostly ski the offpiste by bootpacking and doing the traverses, some of which, like the Giraffe traverse, are kind of hairy. Every time I have been there, storms have shut down the Gemsstock for a day or two and have been forced to honk around on the groimers which is a gas because you end up covering so much ground going East out of Natchen and there's huttes and trains stations to stop at for kaffe und cuche. Overall, I just ski off the top of the Gemsstock.

In the scope of European skiing, 1500 or even 1600 vertical meters is not that big, especially if one just laps the upper Gemsstock, so it's not real Euro dickwave size, but they get a lot of snow on average and have a lot of steep terrain.

Here's a good TR with lots of pictures, including a portion of that Guspis skintrack above and Dan booting up other stuff.:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2015208

Ok. I have Alpine and Touring gear. Trying to figure out skis. I don't want to travel with 10 pairs skis.

What do you typically bring? Lotus 120 with touring bindings?

That’s encouraging. I am still in the fence being as I have zero touring skis but have all necessary avi gear. I can and will bootpack for a long time if it means getting into the goods. May have to rethink this. Really didn’t want to get there only to have everyone take off on skins leaving me relegated to chair laps all alone. Not that I’m afraid to ski alone but from the sounds of it it is a good idea to ski there with someone who knows the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Ok. I have Alpine and Touring gear. Trying to figure out skis. I don't want to travel with 10 pairs skis.

What do you typically bring? Lotus 120 with touring bindings?
    Yep, with Marker F12s. I go minimal, since dragging a lot of shit from train platform to train platform is just that, a drag.

Skis, boots, poles, 1 pair of shoes that are easy to backpack, 5 sets underwear, 5 sets socks, 2 sets merino long underwear + extra merino shirt, goretex hardshell jacket, light puffy, goretex hardshell pants, extra shell jacket, 3 pairs good gloves, 2 sets goggles, toque, 40 liter backpack, shovel, probe, transceiver, 2 spaceblankets, small first aid kit, 2 metal water bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    That’s encouraging. I am still in the fence being as I have zero touring skis but have all necessary avi gear. I can and will bootpack for a long time if it means getting into the goods. May have to rethink this. Really didn’t want to get there only to have everyone take off on skins leaving me relegated to chair laps all alone. Not that I’m afraid to ski alone but from the sounds of it it is a good idea to ski there with someone who knows the area.
    Fuck, I can loan you some touring skis and skins if needed. I have beater 190 cm Stocklis with Fritsches you can use. I'm sure others can help here. Or we can actually plan and you could rent some for the day we go.

But skiing off the Gemsstock with no hiking, provided avie danger is acceptable, can easily provide a week of rich entertainment.

A friend of mine who lived in Milan and skied Andermatt a ton and knows the place better than I do will likely be there and he rarely skins.

All the pictures in this TR are accessed by traverses or a little hike except the Disentis/Gendusas videos and the Guspis (which had a bootpack):
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-years-after-)

First EuroBBI Thursday March 21, 2019

Fuck, I can loan you some touring skis if needed. I have beater 190 cm Stocklis with Fritsches you can use. I'm sure others can help here. Or we can actually plan and you could rent some for the day we go.

But skiing off the Gemsstock with no hiking, provided avie danger is acceptable, can easily provide a week of rich entertainment.
    I’m coming up with ideas on how to make this happen. Thanks for the offer.
    That TR is awesome! giraffe run is sick.

I mentioned to others that if one has an extra couple of days, Engelberg is about a 3 hour train ride from Andermatt and just off one of the trains routes back to Zurich, intersection at Luzern.

Engelberg is different than Andermatt, much bigger older resort village, much, much bigger lift system, 2000 meter vertical descents, glacier skiing, with more legendary sidecountry that doesn't require skins.

It's much more expensive and resorty than Andermatt, but really worth it if you have an couple extra days and an extra $500.

Luzern is also worth a stop if 700+ year old stone buildings and alleys is your thing. Walk across the river on a footbridge that has paintings of the Spanish Armada from the train stationto the old town on the hill.

I am planning to head over 4-5 days prior to bbi event to enjoy the area and explore.

Mrs. LWS is also attending. She's enjoys the less gnar and the images of long euro groomers with mountain vistas have her pretty excited . We will plan on skiing together the 1st half of the trip and then when the mags roll in to town she's planning on skiing solo/enjoying the local culture so I can go get after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I am planning to head over 4-5 days prior to bbi event to enjoy the area and explore.

Mrs. LWS is also attending. She's enjoys the less gnar and the images of long euro groomers with mountain vistas have her pretty excited . We will plan on skiing together the 1st half of the trip and then when the mags roll in to town she's planning on skiing solo/enjoying the local culture so I can go get after it.
    She'll have a great time railing around on the Gemsstock groomers as well as the old Lutersee t-bar.

Disentis also has a boatload of advanced groimers.

In Disentis, about a mile East of the main Disentis tram base, there's a Monastery that is interesting:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disentis_Abbey .

There's this restaurant/hutte across the valley from Sedrun too with their own cable car:
    https://www.tgom.ch/
    It's summer operation normally but might be operating in winter if there's skitouring groups.

I really recommend hitting Airolo too if the weather's nice. You might consider staying at Kai's place, the Krone in Goeschenen for a night or 2 on the way in where it's easier to access Airolo and Andermatt. It's Italian culture there.

Krone Hotel backdoor Buddha:

I'm planning on hitting Davos on the way to Sedrun/Rueras for just a couple of days which is N/NE of Sedrun. Davos is also huDge and expensive. I have some leads on less expensive hotels, still more than $100/pp/night there if you want.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 09-30-2018 at 09:47 PM.