Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Black Crows Corvus Freebird

Anyone on them? I'm considering the 188 + Shifts this year as an in bounds and light touring ski. Curious what people think - sounds like they're stiff and burly?

My wife skis the 175 Corvus Freebird as a touring ski and loves it. Says it’s damp and stable, but not so burly she can’t drive them with her Backlands (non carbon). My brother patrols on the regular 183 Corvus and is stoked on them. In fact, I just bought my wife the regular Corvus as an inbounds daily driver to replace her 171 Dakotas. If you like traditional mount points, I think you’ll be pretty happy.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I have a pair of 188s mounted with Fritschi Tectons. The set up has been great for pow touring and in/out resort ski. I took them to Cham and La Grave last year and they worked very well for pow, mixed conditions, steeps, etc. Maybe a touch less "burly" than the normal corvus, but a capable all around ski. They are not too hard to handle but do have relatively stiff tails, a traditional mount, and a fairly traditional sidecut. The edges on the freebirds are fairly thin, so beware if you like to ski over a lot of rock. Otherwise, two thumbs up for your proposed use.

Also, the above comments go for last year's cambered version. Not sure if the freebird changed this year, but I believe the regular corvus went to a full, low rocker profile. That will change the ski to likely be faster turning/slarving but maybe not as confident on hard snow, steeps and fast carves? It will only help pow performance though.

Thanks guys appreciate the response. Good point on the full rocker - I was going to snag last years but might go for the 2019 since the full rocker is probably more fun/maneuverable

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Don’t think the 2019 freebird is full rocker, just the regular one: https://www.black-crows.com/corvus-freebird-skis

Was thinking of putting dynafits on the 193 corvus (non-Freebird)

Anyone with experience doing that?

I’m 6-5, 210...thinking it’s a great mid fat touring rig for a guy of my stature

AC: my brother has a pair of the non-freebird 183 Corvus with Ions in NZ. He’s like 5’11” 185#. He’s not a weight weenie and says they’re fine. At your size, I think it could be a good call, depending on how light the rest of your touring partners like to go. The 192 0G 108 might also be a good choice.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Was thinking of putting dynafits on the 193 corvus (non-Freebird)

Anyone with experience doing that?

I’m 6-5, 210...thinking it’s a great mid fat touring rig for a guy of my stature
    Are you talking about the 17-18 and earlier or 18-19 version of regular Corvus? I ask because of the changed layup, camber profile and lower weight for the 18-19 version. Also, there are some comparisons between tech and alpine binders on the earlier regular Corvus in this Blister Corvus freebird review if you haven't already read it.

Def 17-18
    I’ll check out that review

i'll check out the zerog too, thx
    Last edited by acinpdx; 09-25-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Don’t think the 2019 freebird is full rocker, just the regular one: https://www.black-crows.com/corvus-freebird-skis
    You're def right about that - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    You're def right about that - thanks
    The regular Corvus is also listed as cambered. Their website is fuqd.
    https://www.black-crows.com/corvus-skis

I have a pair of the 183's from two seasons ago. Love them, ski them all over, patrol on them, broke my fuggin leg had a season ender on them, but skied out of it on them as well.
    I am 6" 185lbs, and I like the shorter ski since WB has a lot of tree skiing. But also spent a week skiing the classics in JH and they worked out just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    The regular Corvus is also listed as cambered. Their website is fuqd.
    https://www.black-crows.com/corvus-skis
    As far as I can tell the website has not been updated for 18-19 yet, kinda lame this close to winter...

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    As far as I can tell the website has not been updated for 18-19 yet, kinda lame this close to winter...
    Evo says the 19 freebird is cambered as well. Actually really interested in it if flat cambered, but I haven’t seen a single thing anywhere saying the FB is different this year

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Evo says the 19 freebird is cambered as well. Actually really interested in it if flat cambered, but I haven’t seen a single thing anywhere saying the FB is different this year
    That's what I understand too, I mean the FB still being the same. However, the website doesn't show neither the updated regular Corvus nor the updated Camox freebird yet. That's why I think the site is not updated at all for this season.

Sounds like flat with rocker tip and tail for the regular Corvus. Not sure about the Freebird
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 09-25-2018 at 04:38 PM.

This random youtube video said the camox freebird is the only one in the freebird series that get a redesigned for 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDnNUgUujDU

photos

2018 Piolet d’Or winner Fréd Degoulet sending a casual 30 footer on 175 Corvus Freebirds. Dude rips!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fred.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	976.4 KB 
ID:	248955

I ski the ZG108 as my regular touring ski and found the Corvus Freebird a more well-rounded ski, with minimal weight difference. A little more surfy and playful in heavier pow/chop, while still very solid through the middle/tail. Could be skied at the resort for sure and I can't imagine touring regularily on the true Corvus; 188 is like 2300g+

anyone notice black Crows have funny little sayings on them ? The one I looked at said " this is not a Banana "

Angle Parking had a pair of the Black Crow lazer cut skins, they are pretty light and of course he put a big cut in them cuz he is really hard on gear
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    anyone notice black Crows have funny little sayings on them ? The one I looked at said " this is not a Banana "

Angle Parking had a pair of the Black Crow lazer cut skins, they are pretty light and of course he put a big cut in them cuz he is really hard on gear
    Skins are made by contour the same as atomic , etc etc. Maybe bananas cost more?
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Just got a pair of Corvus
    Sidewall says “for adults only”
    & in the binding area “if you can read this, you’re not skiing”

perhaps its a french translation of that old favorite " Yes we have no Bananas "

I sat in on a PK with the Black Crow rep and he said something about the sayings being inside jokes that develop amongst the Black Crow guys
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I rode with a guy in Jackson Hole with them and he said it was great for low swing weight on the skin track and stiffness on the charge. He also had Dynafit Superlight 2.0 12 din on his skis that made me wonder if he spent much time outside the BC in general.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

I love low swing weight on the skin track. Helps with my uptrack 360's.

I ended up with 188 2019 Corvus (non freebird). Just arrived today. Went with the heavier model because these will see 70% of their time inbounds.

Maybe they lightened it too - the 2019 188 comes out to around 2080g.

Oh and Freeze Pro Shop in Scotland has crazy prices on these. Mine were $679 shipped to MT.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums