Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any Boston Mags out there?

I’m in town for a bit dealing with some family stuff.

What to see in the city while I’m here?
    My Aunt’s condo is down on Beacon street, so I’m splitting my time between there, meetings with lawyers/realtors/bankers, and our hotel up in Lincoln.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I believe there have been quite a number of threads addressing this question over the years...for my money you can't do better than hitting up Essex/Gloucester area for the world's best fried clams.

Are you really in Lincoln? My mother lived there for years. Decordova is right there. Years ago I would have encouraged a trip to Waltham for truly excellent wings, but alas the place is gone. Go to Walden Pond and contemplate the futility of going to the woods to learn how to live deliberately...

edit: I'm pretty sure there was an active thread about this over the summer at some point, but I can't find it at all. This one is dated but I'm guessing might have some worthwhile things in it...
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...o-do-in-Boston
    [quote][//quote]

How long you here for? Sox in town this week. Go to Fenway. Tix should be cheap given the play off scenario. If you need food/beer spot recs, PM me.
    Uno mas

couple-three hundred threads here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...rchid=16965368

the common thread among all the "what to do in Boston?" threads is, well, what do you like to do?

So, what do you like to do?

Hamilton @ Opera House
    Uno mas

I guess I'm not quite in Lincoln. At the edge of Walden, but still in Walden. My Aunt was in Hospice in Lincoln, and this was a close hotel.
    She has a condo on Beacon street, and I'm riding with Uber this week, so any decent pubs in the area. I don't like people, and I've already wandered the two blocks up to Cheers to have a beer with the rest of the tourons.

Also, are there any good antique furniture stores? I'm not packing her furniture up into a truck and hauling it 2000 miles back home.
    -Death

Kaz is my co-pilot

If you're looking for exercise and to blow off some steam go hike up the Bunker Hill monument. Did it with my kids when they were 7 and 8ish. They laughed at the guy halfway up puking out the little window..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I've always wanted rent a bicycle and and ride up and down the streets dressed as Paul Revere while yelling "The British are coming! The British are coming!"
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    I guess I'm not quite in Lincoln. At the edge of Walden, but still in Walden. My Aunt was in Hospice in Lincoln, and this was a close hotel.
    She has a condo on Beacon street, and I'm riding with Uber this week, so any decent pubs in the area. I don't like people, and I've already wandered the two blocks up to Cheers to have a beer with the rest of the tourons.

Also, are there any good antique furniture stores? I'm not packing her furniture up into a truck and hauling it 2000 miles back home.
    Take a walk down Charles St. Lots of fancy antique stores there and you could talk to a shop keeper or two.

For pubs perhaps wander across the Common to Temple Place. You’ve got Democracy Brewing, Jm Curley (hipster spot), and Stoddards (decent tap list) all right next to each other.

Oh also check out the Owl’s Nest on the Charles River. Outdoor drinking spot hosted by Nightshift Brewing. Right over the footbridge near you.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post

That'd put you in Concord, probably. That would be BigDaddy's stomping grounds, I believe.

PM Rontele.

well done

Absolutely not a boston mag however I've been spending time in Boston over the last few years, in fact just got back from a trip there a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    hitting up Essex/Gloucester area for the world's best fried clams.

Go to Walden Pond
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...o-do-in-Boston
    We spent a few days with a rental in Gloucester. Great beaches for swimming, boogie boarding, SUP (after the life guards go home), food.
    Swimming is good at Walden Pond, great water temp. Get there before 11am on weekends to avoid not getting in,

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    How long you here for? Sox in town this week. Go to Fenway. Tix should be cheap given the play off scenario. If you need food/beer spot recs, PM me.
    Went to a ball game when last I was there and the Sox scored 11 runs in an inning. Fenway is a shrine. Even if you're not a big baseball fan it's a great place to have a hot dog. $80 got me great seats behind the plate about 40 rows up.

We've been hitting a restaurant called Rabias. https://rabias.com/. It's just down the street from the Neptune Oyster Bar and we like the prices and friendliness of the staff. Very close to lots downtown.

Do the duck boat tour after a bunch of drinks. Drink from a flask while on the tour.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    Do you have a car? What kind of things do you want to check out? Bars, restaurants etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I've always wanted rent a bicycle and and ride up and down the streets dressed as Paul Revere while yelling "The British are coming! The British are coming!"
    I always wanted to punch a guy doing that. PM me if this goes anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Do the duck boat tour after a bunch of drinks. Drink from a flask while on the tour.
    All good advice accept for this. I don’t believe they have a bathroom and it is a long tour. I think Pesky’s bladder almost burst during the ‘04 parade.
    Uno mas

too many duck boats have sank for me to get on one of those things

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    All good advice accept for this. I don’t believe they have a bathroom and it is a long tour. I think Pesky’s bladder almost burst during the ‘04 parade.
    This too can be dealt with. And I will say no more.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    I always wanted to punch a guy doing that. PM me if this goes anywhere.
    ha.

Is auntie Caucasian or Asian?

Boston has a great Chinatown. And killer Vietnam sammiches just one street west.
    Or, to celebrate the pasty whiteness, head to southie and drink piss beer and whiskey and yell ethnic slurs at the international tourists.
    . . .

In all seriousness sorry to hear about your aunt. Sounds like you are dealing with cleaning out a house she can not return to due to health reasons. Good luck.
    Uno mas

If the furniture is valuable you might contact an auction house such as Kaminski about consigning it to them. Or if it's really valuable, maybe Skinner. They'll want to do an appraisal to see if it's worth their while but if they take it you'll get good money from them once it's sold. Talking to a couple of antiques dealers about the auction houses would be a good idea. Selling directly to an antiques store would probably cost you more since they'll want to lowball you.

And yeah, sorry to hear about your aunt.

Ice is way more classy than me. I am clearly an antique hawking noob
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    too many duck boats have sank for me to get on one of those things
    I heard that on a podcast last week, so no, I will not be doing that.

-Death

Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Is auntie Caucasian or Asian?

Boston has a great Chinatown. And killer Vietnam sammiches just one street west.
    Or, to celebrate the pasty whiteness, head to southie and drink piss beer and whiskey and yell ethnic slurs at the international tourists.
    We had some dim sum in Quincy on Saturday. And an amazing ma po do fu.

As for drinking cheap beer and hurling ethnic slurs at tourists, I can do that in Calgary.

-Death

Kaz is my co-pilot