Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobsen View Post
    Im 6'4, 225lbs and ski in the European Alps. Pretty strong skier.
    I'd demo if you can. From the question and the telling self-assessment, I'd strongly recommend you purchase a ski that you can handle today with your current pretty strong ​abilities. Going off of recommendations from other, likely stronger skiers, won't help. Lots of folks ski narrower skis because they grew up skiing them and can handle them in a lot of different conditions. If you didn't, it might be too big of a gap to bridge. Lots of folks will tour >110'a because they're really fit. If your goal is to enjoy yourself and improve, I'd get something with almost no learning curve. My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Lots of folks will tour >110'a because they're really fit.
    Lots of folks tour >110's because they are poor deep snow skiers and feel more secure on a wider ski.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Lots of folks tour >110's because they are poor deep snow skiers and feel more secure on a wider ski.
    I agree. Also, lots of folks who can rip powder in an 89 will still choose a >110 because, obviously, the increased floatation makes it easier/faster. IOW, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
    My suggestion still stands for the self-diagnosed pretty strong skiers. The wider skis may compensate for a lack of technique--which would be a good reason to buy them. But if you have a hard time with them on hard pack, and you ski powder only 10% of the time, best to get an all-mountain ski in the ballpark of 95.
    Again, my two cents. Intermediate skiers buying skis based on internet advice leads to intermediate skiers skiing like intermediate skiers but talking about their "expert" skis on the chairlift. Great. As long as they're happy. The best skier is the one who's having the most fun, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Intermediate skiers buying skis based on internet advice leads to intermediate skiers skiing like intermediate skiers but talking about their "expert" skis on the chairlift.
    Haha, that made me laugh and so true.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    This is a pretty good thread so far ... only thing that I’ll add is that perception vs reality will make a difference when starting out.

I always thought I’d be skiing and landing switch when first getting into BC touring.

Turns out I spent tons of energy skinning with heavier skis when I had partners who just wanted to ski powder. The idea of building jumps and hitting big cliffs sort of faded as I realized the implications of rescue and injury far from home.

Having the energy to do laps and ski powder all day is what I have discovered makes me happy. You may differ.
    +1. Skiing and landing switch is fun, but not necessary to have fun in the BC. Mostly I go touring to find good snow, or ski bigger lines, or look at the scenery. No need for super burly gear for that. Plus, although it is fun to have big ol' skis and bindings and boots when you're at the top of a run, it's even more fun to have good-enough gear and me much faster and less tired.

My daily driver touring ski in the PNW is around 1800g/ski, 177cm long (I'm 175cm tall), 112mm waist, with pin bindings and Salomon MTN Labs. Seems to work okay.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    lots of folks tour on >110mm skis because they value float for milking mellow terrain on high risk deep snow days and prefer a bit more speed and the ability to slash and slarve. To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    lots of folks tour on >110mm skis because they value float for milking mellow terrain on high risk deep snow days and prefer a bit more speed and the ability to slash and slarve. To each their own.
    Yup. Low angle trees are way more fun on fat skis.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Tobsen View Post

As for the Wildcat: The ski is really high on my list, it is a different ski from the OG bibby with the narrower waist and lighter weight, though. Also, I would have to order it from the states, which can be quite expensive with customs duties etc. On the other hand, the Helio ist not that much cheaper.
    The Wildcat is the exact same ski as the OG Bibby but with newer better construction.

The Wildcat Tour is the same ski but with a much lighter layup. I believe lighter than the Helio 116.

If you order skis from Moment shipping is free worldwide and the skis are declared at a very low value so customs isn't bad.

The Euro is also stronger than the dollar. So at the end of the day, you're winning.