Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

ski destinations I never thought I would consider (Yellowstone Club, Vail)

May spend a few days this winter with some old friends, a few of whom aren't the strongest skiers. One of them has proposed Yellowstone Club or some snowcat op in Vail (which even he says is really flat). How boring is the skiing at Yellowstone? There must be some good stuff you can get to, somehow, right? I heard a rumor about a couloir...and I figure Big Sky isn't that far away? If it came down to Vail I guess skiing at Beaver Creek would be preferable? Almost the only firsthand experience I have with that place is that you have to go by it to get to Aspen.

Main point of this is to see some old friends I haven't skied with in decades (in some cases), but is one of these places preferable in terms of skiing? Will the skiing be boring enough to make me long for the flats and icey groomers of New England? Will I be asked to remove myself from the Yellowstone Club when my cummerbund doesn't pass muster? At the least I guess I can rest assured that my pockets will be full of delicious breakfast meats.
    [quote][//quote]

Just make sure to pack your gorilla suit.

Telluride or Aspen, way more to do for the marginal skiers.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

How about Timberline? World class accommodations slope side without anyone judging your attire. Palmer Cat skiing on the weekends, weather permitting, for a long run. Close to Meadows and Ski Bowl (if the snow is there) for when you get bored hanging with your friends.

Tell them to spring for a day guided by Scot Schmidt @ Yellowstone.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    And bring your big boy pants. Serious gnar to be had. First and second hourglass, Steins, Luke-N-Nater, corner pocket are all great lines with spicy entrances. The rest of the mountain will be perfect for your buddy. Plus Big Sky is right next door.!

I’ve heard the ‘Stoners cruise the groomed so powder hangs around awhile. No idea if that is true. I am not fancy enough to have passed through the yellow gates.
    Uno mas

Neither of those places would be my choice, and mediocre skiers might have trouble with ANY snowcat operation. That said, I've ridden the terrain the cat does on Vail Pass, and it's fun. And Vail itself may be the evil empire and have very little great terrain, but holy shit does it have a metric shitton of decent terrain. It's not a great mountain, but it is HUDGE and not flat. You could do at lot worse than skiing a few days there. And yes, the Beav is betterer funnerer.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I have a friend who is an owner at YC, so I ski over there sometimes. Overall mostly intermediate terrain, but like 2funky said, Stein's and those chutes are legit gnar. Some great tree skiing too. Plus super easy connect to Big Sky. Fun place, great food.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

yea bring your big boy pants I heard they have black cod on the lunch buffet.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    If it came down to Vail I guess skiing at Beaver Creek would be preferable?
    Vail is a fun place to ski. Ridiculously overpriced and probably overrated, but I have a feeling you'd have fun there if there's good snow.

I heard there’s some decent skiing down in Bama.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Telluride or Aspen, way more to do for the marginal skiers.
    True, but...whiskey? (These two possibilities are based on what one guy has done previously--still could end up elsewhere...maybe Aspen.)

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Uh, wait...what? That's Mr. Schmidt to me. [/endthread] Completely forgot about that. I could ski with the man? Someone will have to bring smelling salts. Looked at the YC site and it's mostly real estate related, but Schmidt is still their ambassador. It doesn't say if he guides people, but I have always enjoyed stalking famous skiers around mountains, so. Yeah, that would more than work. Choice made?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Neither of those places would be my choice, and mediocre skiers might have trouble with ANY snowcat operation.
    Basing this purely on what my buddy who is friends with the guide/owner(?) said about his experience last year. If he described it as flat, it's likely about as steep as a pool table (he did say it was still a lot of fun and the snow was great). Of course, I bet he was with a pretty marginal group as well, which probably dictated the terrain. It's not like I see myself complaining about cat skiing, in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    yea bring your big boy pants I heard they have black cod on the lunch buffet.
    Hard to get too excited if I don't know the sauce or origin of the cod. I hope it's artisanal. Art is anal. Never noticed that before...
    [quote][//quote]

I think it would be fun to ski with Greg Lemond.

More fun, or at least safer, than hunting with him. Presumably better shit talking about Lance Armstrong and assorted other cyclists, too.
    [quote][//quote]

Lemond got the boot from the Club. Something about being a bit too free with some other peoples wives etc.

The Y/C has some seriously good terrain and is a lot bigger than it looks from over at the really Big. It is also no longer the Ghost Town it used to be.

It does get tracked out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Lemond got the boot from the Club. Something about being a bit too free with some other peoples wives etc.
    if you can't fuck your rich neighbors' wifes, what is the point?

Almost the only firsthand experience I have with that place is that you have to go by it to get to Aspen.
    I don't claim impartiality but it seems to me like you answered your own question .
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post

The Y/C has some seriously good terrain and is a lot bigger than it looks from over at the really Big. It is also no longer the Ghost Town it used to be.

It does get tracked out now.
    Agreed on the terrain.

How is it getting tracked out these days? Do they have that many more homeowners? Is Oprah just lapping the shit out of all those little chutes on the ridgeline every time it dumps?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Agreed on the terrain.

How is it getting tracked out these days? Do they have that many more homeowners? Is Oprah just lapping the shit out of all those little chutes on the ridgeline every time it dumps?
    It's all tracked out cause Oprah pulled an Oprah.

You get a chute!
    and
    You get a chute!
    and
    You get a chute!
    and
    You get a chute!

Lol. Knew that was coming.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Vail is a fun place to ski. Ridiculously overpriced and probably overrated, but I have a feeling you'd have fun there if there's good snow.
    The bowls after a fresh dump, Blue sky basin, and the out of bounds area to the west all great fun, still over priced for sure.

...artisanal. Art is anal. Never noticed that before...
    Mind = blown. Whoa...
    Last edited by garyfromterrace; 09-21-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Basing this purely on what my buddy who is friends with the guide/owner(?) said about his experience last year. If he described it as flat, it's likely about as steep as a pool table (he did say it was still a lot of fun and the snow was great). Of course, I bet he was with a pretty marginal group as well, which probably dictated the terrain. It's not like I see myself complaining about cat skiing, in any case.
    There is fun terrain in the area where the cat operates, but the cat op doesn't ski it. The cat runs laps on low angle terrain, with no avy gear on any of the guests, and party skis it. Meanwhile there will be tons of people on sleds spinning 2X the number of laps on the fun stuff while you're gaper party skiing the low angle wind hammered bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    There is fun terrain in the area where the cat operates, but the cat op doesn't ski it. The cat runs laps on low angle terrain, with no avy gear on any of the guests, and party skis it. Meanwhile there will be tons of people on sleds spinning 2X the number of laps on the fun stuff while you're gaper party skiing the low angle wind hammered bullshit.
    Whoa, I did not know that, I just knew the terrain (having done a private cat ski day and spent lots of time at Fowler-Hilliard).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy