Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    There's actually a thread about this. I'll see if I can find it. It was inspired by an article about suicide in ski towns, more about the extreme depression that one drops into in their fifties when living the dream turns into a nightmare for the non or under trust funders. It's an issue. Think about it. Don't wanna be poor, single, 57, and both knees totally fucked in a ski town. Not good.

edit: That was easy. Found it.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...hlight=suicide
    year after i moved out here i had to go back because my friend who gave me shit for not sackin up and doing it sooner
    decided to blow his brains out in front of his parents rather than do a simple rehab stint and gain his family trust fund share at 25 yo
    went back last year as another died way to young and he was my 1 real successful business friend who ran a rug suckin business since high school and another finally drank himself to death a few years ago
    while a couple fishin guides ive worked with have commited suicide i really dont know or have been blessed to not have seen this other than demo women whose case doesnt fit the burnt out ski bum mo
    but slc isnt a ski town its a city/suburbia in very close proximity to world class skiing and other western ammenities/outdoor activities
    im not real smarts or attempt to understand much, but inner demons and depression are everywhere and i bets bourdain coulda lived anywhere he wanted
    your not lucky to have harry as a friend and thats a strong post he made
    your blessed bro
    and imho theres a difference
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Dude, you live with a bunch of drunks. They're young, healthy, active, happy, some are fertile, but, they drink too much.

Goes well with the edibles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app
    see there you go again
    I thought you were saying something legit about how you view life
    then you come back with this shit

I don't eat edibles, last time I did something like that was in nyc 15 years ago
    don't drink much, don't have a drop of alcohol in my house
    so what gives?

Not you.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    So, where are we with babies in bars?
    i aint done it professionally for over a decade now but i worked at quite a few for a couple decades from a country club to upscale beer by the yard, gin joint dives,
    to an old onery greek ladies family resturant/bar the wasco inn
    you stay on your side of the bar, tip well and dont bother other patrons
    i really dont care who you roll with
    act up and mr galino bottles gonna wallbang ya
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Is someone insulting the life choice he wished he's made again by pointing at all the ways it could go wrong?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Is someone insulting the life choice he wished he's made again by pointing at all the ways it could go wrong?
    Yeah, regret is a hell of a drug...or something like that.

Oh, like you two guys are happy.

I should have worked harder at a lot of things: ski racing, math, academia, software. But it does so little for me to belittle what other people followed, it doesn't help at all.

I have a hell of a time with depression, isolation, anxiety. It does me no good to put other people down in some forcibly construed schadenfreude. I made some choices so I can ski and I really wish I could feel better being around a lot of people at the popular resorts, but that's not really who I am. I have very good reasons to feel displaced.

Working at some sense of compassion does more for me than put downs, and it's a challenge for me. I challenge you.

I keep my material shit close to the bone and I've been lucky to have some really good friends that stick by me.

Oh, like you two guys are happy.
    Tha fuck?!? Retired young, financially very comfortable, a lovely house w/ no mortgage, great insurance, living in the mountains, ski ~100 days a year, wonderful family (the ones that are still alive) and friends, time for the arts and travel...and that’s just for starters.

Serious question: What the fuck is wrong with you that you have to try shit like that?
    Last edited by Meadow Skipper; 09-23-2018 at 10:40 PM.

When I was a runaway, I thought a lot about happiness and decided it really just a byproduct of being interested in something.

I think, way too many "goals" people have in life are byproducts. Money, happiness, friends, mobility, none of them are goals, only byproducts.

Here's a fun fact. I knew I was giving up closer skiing when I moved from Long Island to Dallas with a more secure safety net there and the opportunity to go to grad school. Then, I moved to central NC for A, relationship that became marriage, and B, good job market. I was living here almost a year before noticing on a holiday trip across the nation that there were decent mountains and ski areas a lot closer than I thought when I made the decision to move here. Granted, it took me another 7 years to get my shit together and family kids situation solid enough to pull off day trips and occasional weekenders. Point is, that even by doing the prudent, financially and family secure moves I still ended up with the ability to ski mile high mountains and surf pristine beaches in day trip driving range.

Now that I'm here though, I have avoided some possible better earning opportunities that would require packing up the family, ripping kids out of grade/middle/high school to relocate someplace closer or farther away from better skiing. We all have our priorities, but most people won't make a TERRIBLE financial decision to chase the goods long term. We all re evaluate things continually. Most have the ability to change course if we decide we could be happier or more secure elsewhere doing other things. And, I agree that people criticizing others beyond a little razzing, chop busting are the ones who need to look in the mirror and take a closer look about their own situation. Pointing fingers at others usually reveals personal insecurity. FACT!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Tha fuck?!? Retired young, financially very comfortable, a lovely house w/ no mortgage, great insurance, living in the mountains, ski ~100 days a year, wonderful family (the ones that are still alive) and friends, time for the arts and travel...and that’s just for starters.

Serious question: What the fuck is wrong with you that you have to try shit like that?
    Dude, ain't nobody happy, and life is a struggle for everyone.

some quality posts above, you guys
    thanks for sharing ways to look at life in a postive manner

wow dude you need to talk to someone
    are you drunk?

here was my day
    woke up cuddled with my cat drank coffee read the sunday paper
    worked 2 hrs
    took the dog for a three mile walk in the woods smoked a joint, smiled and said hi to people, gave dogs treats
    came home had three peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
    mtb ride 22 miles, absolutely ripping the whole time, had a blast
    puff puff, realized all I packed was a roach, was alittle bummed
    putter around the house
    post of tgr
    shower
    lay on the couch watch tv

yup pretty fucking lame bro
    but I refuse to struggle if I don't have too

Those sandwiches are gonna make you fat and clog your bloodstream. You won't be happy then.

What other truths did Buddha say? And the paths? What about the paths?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    puff puff, realized all I packed was a roach, was alittle bummed

See? Life is hard......

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    What other truths did Buddha say? And the paths? What about the paths?
    Wise man sayeth.. sta da fuk outa my line..

Dude, ain't nobody happy, and life is a struggle for everyone that lives in the east.
    FIFY, back to regularly scheduled ball-busting.

But seriously, I suggest you stop projecting your meta-unhappiness on other people. It’s not a good look for you.

Your other ruminations say something else. That the cause of struggle (or depression, or ailing bodies, or drinking too much) is a result of people's decision to move to ski towns and skip the corporate ladder.
    If you're going to be judgemental, own it.

It helps if we accept our ugliness. Except for all you pretty fuckers.

Man I came here for babies and bars and got another bunny rant about people in ski towns being drunk suicidal losers. Stop trying to convince him. He's made up his mind. Nobody could possibly exist in any other way than his reality.

Let's just cut right to what's really most important in the whole happiness scheme of things..

At least when you're in a bar and the chick next to you has a baby you know she puts out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

There are things in life that you can change and there are things that you can't. Work on the former and embrace the latter. Embrace the grind.
    Last edited by Kopi_Red; 09-23-2018 at 11:06 PM.