Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    arent you the exact opposite of someone who has enjoyed a brief period of brilliance and adulation?
    I've had my moments.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I'm not saying it's not real, I'm just saying you wouldn't go into a bar in Jackson and find some 50 year old looking rough, with two impossibly bad knees and go SEE, SEE, I'M SO GLAD I'M NOT YOU, EVERYTHING'S GOOD FOR ME BECAUSE I DIDN'T FUCK UP LIKE YOU.
    So I don't know, maybe go easy on us losers who loved skiing so much that we didn't know what else to do with ourselves. It's a ski website, for all the places and situations where it would be kind of nice not to be reminded of being a loser because I loved skiing, it's here.

Listen, I'm not trying to do that. Just pointing out that this paradise that a few wise asses up above tell me I had and have no balls to experience ain't quite that. There's a big downside, like a lot of other decisions in life choices, and many here will never experience the downside because they were born on third base or married rich pussy. Or, at least comfy pussy.
    I don't have much money. Never really did. But, I'm fine. I don't have to work, and I'm having some fun. But, I learned to be real fucking careful. And, at this age, you really have to be extra careful, because I entered what I call the No Second Chance zone about ten years ago. No room for fuckups. If that happens, I have nowhere to turn. So, I'm not throwing myself into some overpriced, stupid housing market in most any ski town with a what the fuck, it'll all work out because I'll be core attitude. Nope, I found something real cheap, and it ain't bad at all, and the road biking is superb. I'll get mine. Sure, wish I was rich, but, who doesn't?

Ok, just hit a nerve. It was a weird night at work with a coworker trying to get to know me so I had to tell the whole awful “how I ended up here” story. It’s always a bummer when that happens, so I may be a little primed for seeing an intent that wasn’t there.

Carry on. Babies, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    There's actually a thread about this. I'll see if I can find it. It was inspired by an article about suicide in ski towns, more about the extreme depression that one drops into in their fifties when living the dream turns into a nightmare for the non or under trust funders. It's an issue. Think about it. Don't wanna be poor, single, 57, and both knees totally fucked in a ski town. Not good.

edit: That was easy. Found it.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...hlight=suicide
    I"m not denying what your saying
    You just generalize that everyone is like this when very few people are
    thats why I want you to come hang out with me in breck for a couple days
    So I can show you what ski town life is really like, it's nothing like they advertise

just the other day at my office, a good buddy who grew up here were laughing
    all these people try so hard to live in a ski town and don't make it
    then you look at the two of us, stoned all day ever day
    raking in millions between the two of us
    and this place is so easy to live in, so easy I couldn't function or live anywhere else
    go figure

I know one drunk that went out, a month later his celebration of life was at a bar where everyone was toasting to him, kind of fucked up when you think drugs and alcohol were his downfall
    people are really good and brushing shit under the rug
    then again people do that everywhere in this country

like dragging your kids to a bar
    I can step back and say that is really fucked up and you shouldn't do that, who is the resposible parent if they are both drinking
    but I don't judge people anymore
    therapy has really helped
    everyone has their issues that they need to deal with

I know I'm lucky that my life is easy that my mortgage is 1k a month
    that I keep my cost of living very low
    that a fifteen minute walk and I'm on ski lift

I'm not saying it's not real, I'm just saying you wouldn't go into a bar in Jackson and find some 50 year old looking rough, with two impossibly bad knees and go SEE, SEE, I'M SO GLAD I'M NOT YOU, EVERYTHING'S GOOD FOR ME BECAUSE I DIDN'T FUCK UP LIKE YOU.
    So I don't know, maybe go easy on us losers who loved skiing so much that we didn't know what else to do with ourselves. It's a ski website, for all the places and situations where it would be kind of nice not to be reminded of being a loser because I loved skiing, it's here.
    well said
    very well said

I gotta laugh a little bit about how some folks here say it's OK to bring kids to the bar because people in Europe do it all over. Well, Europe is indeed DIFFERENT! Most there use public transportation. A DWI is punished a LOT more severely there than it is here. Also, since alcohol is legal at younger ages, pretty much every place is somewhat of a bar.

Here, where the drinking age is higher and somebody's gotta drive since public transportation isn't as nice or available, it is indeed different.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    fuck ole whiney Curmudgeon Kid Charlemagne
    he knows damn well

lookin forward to sharing a passion and your soli presence this season of skiing
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Babies don't bother me that much. It's the parents who let their 8 year olds run amuck in the place that chap my ass. 5 kids playing tag inside a brewery while their drunk parents made no effort to restrain them. Kids almost made me spill my beer!

Listen, I'm not trying to do that. Just pointing out that this paradise that a few wise asses up above tell me I had and have no balls to experience ain't quite that. There's a big downside, like a lot of other decisions in life choices, and many here will never experience the downside because they were born on third base or married rich pussy. Or, at least comfy pussy.
    there are so many examples of happy people in ski/ outdoorsy towns too- I'll start getting all those threads compiled so we can compare about your one or a low % of people
    first off why do you assume you'd become a deadbeat loser when you move closer to a thing you LOVE?
    And if you are worried about depression, I'd say you have accomplished half the potential battle by just being aware, where you can mitigate falling into that trap.
    We've had conversations about this with each other, friends. Not much different than living in other places and growing as a person

I also have no trust fund (is there an opposite of a trust fund since I have to pay for a lot of my mom's bills?) and am risk averse so I get what you are saying. But plenty of opps for a savvy guy like you to make higher than mkt rate increase on a great location.
    -You are ahead of the curve in some ways, in that you come from an urban area so a smaller footprint for a home is NBD. Can't tell you how many people trip out that they don't get their couple acres and buncha extra empty rooms to furnish and heat, far away from everything.
    Townhomes that are in your range and maybe are 10-15 min away from skiing but close to a town. then people take care of your lawn and shit too for when you get really old

if it's just your shtick ok. but otherwise you are just making excuses
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    fuck ole whiney Curmudgeon Kid Charlemagne
    he knows damn well

lookin forward to sharing a passion and your soli presence this season of skiing
    Me too. Something about skiing or fishing or the beach that squashes most beefs, or resentments over uninvited "advice".

Another Steely Dan tune, natural segue hahahaha!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    chicks are wise
    i bet brkyln would tell ya sumthin similiar
    i bet there's even some comfy

you could get lucky with
    maybe live out your lives in mutual misery
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Then there are the many mountain town dwellers who aren’t that way. I’m doing okay, and I worked to get here.

But yeah, this.

Edit: and yeah, what b-bear sed.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    (is there an opposite of a trust fund since I have to pay for a lot of my mom's bills?)
    Man that made me laugh how you phrased it but it really does suck to have that dragging on you. Here's hoping it gets better somehow.

I think I understand what Benny is saying. He wants to feel secure, especially financially, and he's found a place where he feels that way and there's a lot of value in having that peace of mind. The overriding emotion of old(er) age is fear. When you're not working anymore, you're looking at your money and wondering how long am I going to live and how long will it last. I see my dad going through this so that's what I'm basing this on. Benny has decided that secure feeling he has now is worth more than living/investing in a potentially volatile ski town environment, and he still gets his trips out West to ski anyway. I'd propose there are other places in the West that are close enough to great skiing but not known as "ski towns," and they are as affordable as where he is now, but whatever. Not everybody wants to live out West for a lot of reasons. As great as it is, it has a lot of downsides too. Increasingly smoky summers being one downside that might really affect the future of life out here.

Well, also, I'm old and soon to be pretty old. It would be pretty dumb to move to a place with few older people and awful elder care. First major injury would really be a letdown. I've had some issues with the back and leg that seem to be permanent, but easily lived with. A few years ago I had an experience with essentially being disabled, and stairs were a problem. I live alone. It was a taste of the inevitable. I'm ok in a place that offers help, and I'll just travel a month or two to get some. They can put me on a plane for home when shit happens, and I won't be in a place with lousy care.

Well, also, I'm old and soon to be pretty old. It would be pretty dumb to move to a place with few older people and awful elder care. First major injury would really be a letdown. I've had some issues with the back and leg that seem to be permanent, but easily lived with. A few years ago I had an experience with essentially being disabled, and stairs were a problem. I live alone. It was a taste of the inevitable. I'm ok in a place that offers help, and I'll just travel a month or two to get some. They can put me on a plane for home when shit happens, and I won't be in a place with lousy care.
    All that’s fine Bunny, just quit bagging on people that have all that, and maybe more, or are working on it and living in western mountain towns.

Though I understand you just kind of like bitching and arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post

I think I understand what Benny is saying. He wants to feel secure, especially financially, and he's found a place where he feels that way and there's a lot of value in having that peace of mind. The overriding emotion of old(er) age is fear. When you're not working anymore, you're looking at your money and wondering how long am I going to live and how long will it last.
    Obviously, but it would be much more honest for him to admit that rather than shitting on every one else who has chosen differently.

Its like listening to a child explain to everyone how great lights are when you know they are really just afraid of the dark.
    In with the 9.

There's actually a thread about this. I'll see if I can find it. It was inspired by an article about suicide in ski towns, more about the extreme depression that one drops into in their fifties when living the dream turns into a nightmare for the non or under trust funders. It's an issue. Think about it. Don't wanna be poor, single, 57, and both knees totally fucked in a ski town. Not good.

edit: That was easy. Found it.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...hlight=suicide
    Benny, you have skied with me, and I consider you a friend. You know where I live and you know my life story. I think you would agree that I have a very nice life.

While depression and suicide are indeed an issue in mountain towns, there is another side of the story.

In my case, I am someone who is prone to depression. It runs in my family, both sets of grandparents on both sides had multiple suicides. In my 20's I would become very depressed in the winter. After my discharge from the military I tried moving back home to a small town in northern Wisconsin. I could tell that Ice fishing and sitting in a bar would have resulted in me putting a .357 in my mouth. So I moved out to Montana 35 years ago and I never looked back. The main thing for me is my life now revolves around skiing. So instead of getting depressed in the winter, I now look forward to winter.

I go back to my hometown as much as I can because my Mom is now 91. But everyone back there weighs 400 lbs and sits around watching the Packers play on TV. Here in Big Sky everyone goes out hiking all summer and fall to get ready for ski season. Bottom line: I don't get depressed here.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Increasingly smoky summers being one downside that might really affect the future of life out here.
    qft

I haven't even been back to my hometown in, honestly, I don't know. Maybe twenty five years? So, yeah, it's all relative, I guess. Probably why so many become ski bums. They skip college, and it's straight to Aspen Extreme. Like I said, I did poker and parties.
    Almost all the lifers I've met in Vermont are from nowhere, northeast. Ballston Spa, N.Y. and Springfield Ma., direct to party time at Killington or such.

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post

Its like listening to a child explain to everyone how great lights are when you know they are really just afraid of the dark.
    There's a lotta good viewpoints in this last page, and this above quote is awesome, but I gotta say there's is no need for all the Steely Dan references for gods sake

So, where are we with babies in bars?

this helps put things into perspective
    your right and you have a valid argument
    I'm not close to 50 so this is shit I don't care about or think about
    but when you bust on ski town people like they are all f'd in the head it irritates me
    sure I should just let it go and ignore your dumb ass ideas, but I can't
    been doing this two long to have other people tell me what it's like to be a bum

as far as parents and drinking ha ha
    we have this new attraction in town that you need to hike to go see and it's a big hit with families
    so they are screwing up one of my favorite trails to get out of town on
    today it's wall to wall people and sure enough a few parents are walking with beers in hand
    I see the logic there, kids might be more fun and tolerable with a beer in hand
    alcohol is just not my thing, so I don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    we have this new attraction in town that you need to hike to go see and it's a big hit with families
    today it's wall to wall people and sure enough a few parents are walking with beers in hand
    We have some pretty nice hiking and camping parks out west and some of the trails have really sketchy exposure, slip and you die cliffs that aren't fenced off at all. Just an occasional sign warning folks, but the views and waterfalls are worth the risk to most, me included. Not uncommon to see toddlers running around in circles near these cliffs. Also, one time I saw some lady carrying up a super old dog who looked like they were about to die of exhaustion right there. And, ya, we hear about someone, young or old, falling and dying in places like that a couple times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    this helps put things into perspective
    your right and you have a valid argument
    I'm not close to 50 so this is shit I don't care about or think about
    but when you bust on ski town people like they are all f'd in the head it irritates me
    sure I should just let it go and ignore your dumb ass ideas, but I can't
    been doing this two long to have other people tell me what it's like to be a bum

Dude, you live with a bunch of drunks. They're young, healthy, active, happy, some are fertile, but, they drink too much.

Goes well with the edibles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app