Glacier Nat'l Park

Headed there next weekend for a 4 day visit - never been.
    Staying in Whitefish, and plan on day hiking Fri/Sat/Sun.
    Please recommend not-to-miss hikes & vistas, and certainly any other things we should cover while out there (beer!).

Looks like the main through road is finally open, with some no-stopping areas.

Thanks in advance!

BB
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

One of the few parks I have not been to, so no help, but just want to say have fun and post up a TR.

Shoot me some PMs when you are in Mammoth, it's been too long since we've skied together.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Surprised no posts yet....here are my short trip faves:

Early breakfast at Buffalo Cafe in WF one morning, all days get on the road early. Crowds should not be a problem this late in the park, but who knows....

Top of Logan Pass - do the hike to Hidden Lake overlook, great vista - yes it will be busy, but the view is amazing. Then combine it with the hike on the other side of the parking lot along the Highline Trail. Both of these are out and back, so easy to swing by the car for more water and food.

Many Glacier Lodge is a long drive away, but if you are up for it, has amazing hikes (the boats might be out by now). Lunch at the lodge for the views are worth it. Perhaps combine it to the day that you drive up/down the east side of Going to the Sun. Perhaps early start, Hwy2 around the park and up to Many Glacier (long drive); then back via east side of Going to the Sun.

If you are taking bikes, and assuming the shuttle is still running. I'd figure out a way to park at Trail of the Cedars area and shuttle up. The bike ride back down provides a unique way to see the park. The views are so much better from the bike.

Backslope in Columbia Falls has good food, decent beer
    Great Northern Brewing has good beer and food.
    Great Northern Bar can be fun on a music night

Bottle of something, snacks/cheese/meat and sitting at the Lake at Apgar Village was a highlight back when I was trying to impress the girls.

How much are you planning to hike? Many options, but always good to know your limit before recommending.

If you are hiking bring bear spray, since they are getting more active.

I should be around the area during that time as well. Beautiful time of the year.

Don't think he is a mag here but many mags have made laps with him..oh yeah, he recently released the book Day Hiking: Glacier National Park & Western Montana: Cabinets, Mission and Swan Ranges, Missoula, Bitterroots

Camp at many glacier, get a reservation if you can.
    Hike Ptarmigan Tunnel and iceberg lake. Definitely bring bear spray. And binoculars. Man I love that place.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Many thanks. Looks to be chilly and possibly wet this weekend. Will post pics.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

They don't take reservations at Many Glacier campground...you need to show up early to get a site. Although I think you should be okay this time of year if it's crappy weather. Good time to see animals. Have a great time!

Apikuni Falls is a good short hike right off the road to Many Glacier if weather prevents any major outings...

Many Glacier has some reserved spots in season (roughly mid june to labor day). early season until then, and from labor day until end of season (Halloween this year) it has no reserved spots and looking online for the last week, it hasn't filled. There are a number of hikes available from Many Glacier, depending on restrictions. The NW corner of the park is different, and less crowded outside of "prime" hours. I liked that spot most on my recent trip.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Hike Ptarmigan Tunnel and iceberg lake. Definitely bring bear spray. And binoculars. Man I love that place.
    FKNA on the tunnel. One universe to the next. Last time I was there they closed the trail because a bunch of tourists were running around a little lake/pond by the trail trying to stay on the opposite side from a grizzly shopping for lunch.

It's usually snowing and closing the road out to Babb around this time.

It has been a decade since I hiked around Many, but still one of the more memorable weekends of hikes. Ptarmigan tunnel is a really nice hike. If you are game for it pick up A Climbers Guide to Glacier it lists some goat paths that really open the place up with some class IV scrambles.

Sampling from today...speechless.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180928_154322.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	248910

Name:	20180928_153654.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	248911

Name:	20180928_154134.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	248912

Name:	20180928_141238.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	248913

Spectacular
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    Don't think he is a mag here but many mags have made laps with him..oh yeah, he recently released the book Day Hiking: Glacier National Park & Western Montana: Cabinets, Mission and Swan Ranges, Missoula, Bitterroots
    A good friend and great writer/photog. He’s spent more time in those mountain ranges than most could dream of. And he somehow managed to swindle a pic of me into pow mag last year

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post

I have spent a lot of time in Glacier, this is by far my favorite part.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Wow! Spectacular!

Wow! Very very nice. Great pics