Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    This read returned me to my senses.

^^Agree. Bump for good info.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

I find it difficult to recognize the moment when tough going becomes an emergency situation. If pressing on for another hour means reaching safety, then surely that's right. OTOH if pressing on for an hour means needing another hour... Then, um, I should have worked on shelter an hour ago. With a warm bed and a hot meal in the hut (guaranteed safety), it would be difficult and questionable decision to shelter in place (marginal survival situation).

When 10 experienced mountaineers, joined by 4 others, get some of themselves killed, I find it hard to point fingers. It's certainly good to ask questions and try to learn. In the end though, if we become a bit safer, we humans will simply push the boundaries a bit further. (100 years ago - Who would get in a airplane.. that's crazy. 50 years ago - Who would jump out of an airplane.. that's crazy. Now we're at who would jump off a cliff in a wingsuit.. that's crazy). Hurray for human spirit! Also, Condolences to friends and relatives after sad events.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Sad deal. Reminds me so much of small plane crash debriefs. Always a chain of decisions that ultimately end up badly because the pilot presses on past the last exit strategy. As someone else said, this tragedy is likely entirely avoided with proper communication and a no-go decision or proper track for the winter route on the GPS. What a waste...RIP