Car repair expectations

Bought the wife a a new 2018 Honda Accord a couple months ago. About a month later she stopped in at our daughters apt to just say hi. They were sitting in the car in the parking lot when some girl backed here grandpas big farm truck into the back passenger corner. The girls insurance company gave us the run around trying to say that we might be at fault. Finally after a little sternness and reminding them that our car was parked they decided to fix it.

It’s been a bit of a pain in the ass getting it fixed. Had to wait a while for parts since it’s a new model they didn’t have inventory of what we needed.

Any way we finally got the car back and one of the tail lights was still cracked and the paint around the license plate area had runs all over in it. Also noticed that there was chip marks in the paint on the rear quarter of the drivers side where the trunk had been pushed into it. They agreed to fix everything. They did most everything ok but all they did where the trunk has pushed into the rear qtr was hit it with a bit of touch up paint. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2012.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	332.5 KB 
ID:	247793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2015.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	247794

Am I being realistic in my expectations that this should be fixed properly? If I had done it I would probably leave it and not worry about it. But it is a new car and I kind of expect it to be returned as a new car.

They said they would fix it if we wanted but the whole side would need to be repainted.

Should I let it go or have them fix it?

The repair shop is being good to work with since they know we aren’t happy. Last year they painted the rear bumper of another car the wrong color after somebody ran into the back my wife. (Added metal flake on a car that had none)
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Car repair expectations

I have no idea what state you are in, but here in Montana YOU get to pick the repair shop. Not the insurance company, not the other party. (I know this is not true in all states...). Anyway, those photos you posted are I assume after the repair ? That is a hack job. No way is that acceptable.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I have no idea what state you are in, but here in Montana YOU get to pick the repair shop. Not the insurance company, not the other party. (I know this is not true in all states...). Anyway, those photos you posted are I assume after the repair ? That is a hack job. No way is that acceptable.
    Colorado is the same and that's a total hack job. It can/should be repaired better and it shouldn't cost you a dime.

I live in B.C. so YMMV

That is bull shit. It's a new car, should look like new when it comes out of the repair shop. While it is in the shop they should give you a loaner too.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Yeah thats a hack job, I'd raise hell.

That being said, you did get hit. It will never be perfect again now that it was hit, so don't lose to much sleep over it. But I wouldn't settle for a touch up like that.

The broken taillight still would worry me more. They half assed this from start to finish.
    Live Free or Die

where I live, I'd raise hell too. It's a major PITA especially dealing with geico or some shit but sooner or later they should do it right.
    "Can't you see..."

Just be glad it isn't totaled. You'd only get dealer cost and be totally fucked. As for cheesy, cheap assed mickey mouse repairs, they are betting on you just settling because you want your car back. Be sure to make them pay for a rental every single day it takes to keep going back and get it done right..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I live in B.C. so YMMV

That is bull shit. It's a new car, should look like new when it comes out of the repair shop. While it is in the shop they should give you a loaner too.
    ya it should be perfect or almost perfect

The local ford dealer did my Truck, it wasnt ready on time cuz he said no its not right i gotta keep it for another week so they did but it came out almost perfect

i said hmmm looks perfect and he said well not really cuz ford puts some pigment in the clear coat on dark silver and its so hard to match

but I can't tell unless I look really close so ... call er good eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Insurance was not involved?

Who painted that, a Korean lady from the local nail salon?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Even Vinnie in Hoboken thinks you got screwed.

Car repair expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Who painted that, a Korean lady from the local nail salon?
    She woulda done better and given him a blow job as well

Did a real body shop repair this or the grandpa who owns the big truck ? I wouldn't go back to a body shop that let a car go out looking like that. If you have an insurance agent call them and ask for an honest opinion on how to get this repair fixed right. I know it didn't involve your insurance but you might get some feed back on what your legally entitled to on something like this.

No good, make them get it right. The tail light will leak if it's cracked and that could cause bigger problems so make them replace it and replace the gasket behind it too. My car got backed into on my 50th birthday by a kid in a Jeep, it was parked also and by the time the shop got it done you could hardly tell it had been repaired. They put a whole new quarter panel in place of the bashed one but when they replaced it they tore the VIN sticker a little bit so anyone who knows what's what would know work was done if they pay attention when I eventually go to sell it. The cost for the panel, paint and new tail light that got cracked was a little over $7k.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0526.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	653.4 KB 
ID:	247816

Hack job...I mean really. My 6 yr old could paint better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

That last photo doesn't look like a paint run but filler or glazing that wasn't sanded properly. You need to be aware if that trunk area isn't repaired correctly it will leak water.

I would not accept it until it is done to your standards. You have to decide what your standards are. My standards say that repair looks like dog shit.

If you picked the shop and insurance already paid, it's between you and the shop. If the insurance company picked the shop, it's between them. Did you get multiple bids for repairs? Did any of those bids show repainting the entire side? Have you settled the claim and signed off with the insurance company?

Probably a little late now but I always use the threat of turning someone else's at fault accident into my insurance company and then letting my insurance company subrogate against the at fault insurance company. That will get the other insurance company moving. The other insurance company knows you probably don't know much about insurance and they can usually get off cheap but your insurance company has attorneys on staff that know about insurance.

I can tell you if my wife was driving a brand new car and someone hit it while it was parked, that person or their insurance company would pay for it to look like a brand new car at the end of repairs.

Edit: You took it to a repair shop that already fucked up one of your cars?

^conundrum hit everything I wanted to say. Make them fix it right and then never take a car there again. Where is the shop located? I want to make sure I never send a car there lol.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Where is the shop located? I want to make sure I never send a car there lol.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I've never gotten the warm fuzzys from any independent body shop and usually feel like they're trying to put one over on me. As much as I know that the body shop at the dealer will be considerably more expensive than an indy that's where I go because I know they will use OE parts and the correct paint. They also have a vested interest in getting it right because I bought the car there and if they do good work I'm more likely to buy another car there.