Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Residential Architects and Engineers....roofers

I'm building a mountain contemporary home with big views. It will look something like this. The roof pitch is 1/4" per foot. I'd like to do cold rolled or cortend, but my architect wants ballasted with gravel or stone. 4"/12' is pitched, but is fairly flat. I'm worried about snow weight during Jan.-April. Any experience w/ ballasted stone vs. steel?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 9.40.40 AM.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	472.3 KB 
ID:	247760
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 9.41.00 AM.png
Views: 841
Size:  477.0 KB
    Roof pitch
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 9.39.48 AM.png 
Views:	199 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	247762
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Will it have a heliport? I ask because loose stone can get blown about by rotor wash.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

This is almost certainly an engineered home, not one that is built prescriptively, right? Have your architect talk with your structural engineer, as he's the one who will determine if the house can handle the additional dead load. The snow load that the roof needs to handle is determined based on your specific location and elevation, and is different from the dead load of a heavier roof assembly.

If it can handle either roof assembly structurally, then it's really up to you and your sense of style. Will both be class-A rated assemblies? Corten alone probably won't get you a class-a rating, but I don't know what you're sheathing the place with.

Also, depending on how uptight the jurisdiction where you're building is, you may want to submit this as additional info/a minor change order to your local building department so the inspector doesn't come out there and see a roof that differs from the approved plans.

Jesus you old timers are rich.

Will this be done in time for BBI@Utah?

if cor-ten is used at all on the roof, the steel will not be the roofing sys, just an aesthetic cover...more likely a membrane like TPO or EPDM or a asphaltic rubberized cold or hot mopped sys for a low slope roof

in a non-snowy locale, i've seen a fully welded plate roof, but i'm guessing that's not what you're thinking of

if you're in a mountain zone, a ballasted roof sounds bad just from a wind perspective
    a fully adhered & screwed membrane roof will live better there
    (plan on clearing scuppers/gutters of debris regularly if you're below treeline)

anything can be structured to handle the snow load...the question is how thin will the eaves look?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Jesus you old timers are rich.
    not this one.......awesome pad.

What does your zoning or locale require? Ballasted with gravel in a mountainous, snowy zone sounds bad.

Go green!

Name:  NorweigenGreenRoofs5.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  172.0 KB

Build a house that ugly and has a normal roof.

2 problems solved.

Wtf is ballested gravel, is that what is also called tar n gravel which after 30 years now gets replaced with torch on at huge fucking expense compared to duroid ?

Up narth last year was a GREAT ski season with lots of snow which included some early season snow & rain all of which which made for a heavy snow load SO we had a few roofs fail including a flat school gym and everybody was up shoveling their roof

I am kind of a metal clad or duroid kinda guy so I always give low slope roofs a pass

OTOH flat roofs are safer to shovel and you could plant a lot of dope up there man
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    What does your zoning or locale require? Ballasted with gravel in a mountainous, snowy zone sounds bad.
    Exactly what I am thinking. I have seen ballasted with pavers, but that is way too pricey. I like cold rolled steel. Corten is nice, except when the rust drips all over the stone/wood exterior. I don't think that the ballasted will survive engineering, especially on a slightly pitched surface.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    the question is how thin will the eaves look?
    factor in the thickness of the insulation too, not just structural member size
    R-38 in rigid is going to be 8"
    R-49 in rigid is going to be 10"
    plus your joists/decking
    plus the beams

i'm guessing the architect hasn't really got a realistic roof edge detail yet

the roof plan also shows that all drainage goes to the edge of the roof, so there is likely a gutter around all these eaves? or just a drip edge? (gutter might not be a good idea in a snow zone)

that said, i'm not local & he may be on top of all this
    i'm just spewing from the internet based on a sketchup model

It will definitely have some gutters and downspouts. I think that the eaves are 8" long and 12" high...not 100% sure.
    People tried to sell me chain downs, but that would be a nightmare in places like the driveway and in the front of the house.
    I am very interested to see what the development committee comes back with

I'd NEVER design or seek to live in any structure with mostly flat roof surfaces, especially in snow country. Gotta be fairly steep so we don't have to ever worry about snow load or leaks around flash points and seams developing over time. Also, just from aesthetics, when I see flat roofs I think of dentist offices..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Thread drift/hijack - any roofer opinions on hydro-stop vs traditional torch down for a flat roof in Tahoe? I've got an ancient tar and gravel that needs fixin. Not that I like tar and gravel, but I don't think there are any roofers in Tahoe that even do it still.

I would say that you should discuss it with your structural engineer but on second thought clearly TGR will know better.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Thread drift/hijack - any roofer opinions on hydro-stop vs traditional torch down for a flat roof in Tahoe? I've got an ancient tar and gravel that needs fixin. Not that I like tar and gravel, but I don't think there are any roofers in Tahoe that even do it still.
    Torch on guys are more specailized than some guy who nails down shingles and way more expensive, hopefully you have many children so you wont mind selling one of them to pay for the new roof, or maybe a kidney ...

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I'd NEVER design or seek to live in any structure with mostly flat roof surfaces, especially in snow country. Gotta be fairly steep so we don't have to ever worry about snow load or leaks around flash points and seams developing over time. Also, just from aesthetics, when I see flat roofs I think of dentist offices..
    Or Snowbird

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I would say that you should discuss it with your structural engineer but on second thought clearly TGR will know better.
    This, I will do. But, I am always open to information...even from you guys

We had a flat roof at our place at Alpine Meadows and we loved it. We have a steeply pitched roof that sheds automatically at our place here in Eastern Washington and it’s a pain in the ass.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I think that the eaves are 8" long and 12" high...not 100% sure.
    roof plan indicates 3' eaves (depth from wall)
    eyeballing from the 3d, it looks like they are all about 12" thick

nothing wrong with flat roofs in snow country, they just have to been designed to carry a shitton of snow. it's a simple math problem for the engineer.
    and waterproofing that isn't that big a deal...modern membrane systems can deal just fine with these things

i'd make sure you're using rigid insulation on top of the roof deck. any other arrangement is bound to bring nightmares for a flat roof

locally the town told everybody if your house is this old ( i forget the number ) you might wana shovel the roof

Having dealt with many houses with sloped roofs in major snow zones, I'm growing more interested in flat roofs. Commercial structures have been using them for eons. The ice damming, roof avalanches and snow removal issues can get pretty involved. As long as the snow load is addressed, several of these issues can be reduced or eliminated. It also depends on the year and moisture content. With the current drought, the collection of roof melt and rain water may be worth considering. A properly sloped, flashed roof can be a good collector. The drains and freeze/thaw becomes an issue, however.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

What if you built a flat roof but tilted the house so it would slide off?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    We had a flat roof at our place at Alpine Meadows and we loved it. We have a steeply pitched roof that sheds automatically at our place here in Eastern Washington and it’s a pain in the ass.
    Why is that? If the entry/exit doors are not under the low side and nothing else important is either, than what's a pain in the ass about it? Piles of snow and ice falling along the sides where nobody walks or parks shouldn't matter.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!