Thread: What Boot am I?

What Boot am I?

Looking to replace my current resort boots. Currently have been on 2016/17 Technica Cochise 130's and prior to than had some earlier versions on the same boot. Fit of these boots was OK in the forefoot and maybe a little big in the lower ankle. fixed that with some power wraps. My main issue was I never liked the lack of progressive flex in my current ones. This was especially true when the boot was cold. Anyway, toward the end of last season, I just crammed my Dynafit Vulcans into my resort skis and actually really like they way they skied everything including firm and carving. So what Alpine boot would have a similar fit to my Vulcans and similar performance? Thanks......

Sounds like you like the way a 3 part boot works vs a 2 part boot.

you can find different fits in BOTH kinds of boots

3 part boots = full tilt (narrow and wide versions), (some) dalbello, and some dynafits.

if you liked your dynafits, why not just ski them? get a WTR binding, or a skiable tech binding (beast, kingpin, etc) and just use that?

Never really considered the Vulcan flex "progressive" but if you like it, just ski them. A "WTR" binding from Salomon/Atomic/Look/Rossignol isn't compatible, though, with the ISO 9523 sole shape and the QuickStep inserts make it a no-go with Salomon/Atomic MNC bindings, so that leaves you with Marker Sole.ID models or a tech binding.

If you like the boot, don’t mess with it. I hated my Vulcans, but they were definitely enough boot to drive fat skis in the resort. And wardens are cheaper than new boots.

I’m a big fan of the lupo c 130/lupo T.I. but it doesn’t really ski like the Vulcan at all. But that’s the move I made from the Cochise 130 and I’ve been quite pleased with it. Cabrio boots rule. If you can do without the walk mode, the krypton 130 has a lot of adjustment options so you can dial in a fwd lean similar to the Vulcan...
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Maybe just try on some boots on from a reputable bootfitter?

Good quality flex can be achieved in both cabrio and overlap boots, provided you can flex the boot enough. Overlap boots get increasingly stiffer the more you flex into them (aka progressive flex); cabrio boots get stiffer proportionally to how more you flex into them (aka linear flex).

I similarly thought the OG Cochise was too stiff for my anatomy -- I couldn't even flex the thing when it was buckled tight enough to take up all the volume in the calf area, even with an oversized powerwrap liner. Personally, I'd guess it's less about cabrio vs overlap and more about finding something that works well for your lower-leg anatomy. It sounds like you might try to find something with low calf/ankle volume that starts soft and gets stiffer.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Jumbo shrimp, military intelligence, progressive Vulcan

but they are badass stiff and fit me like a glove with a pwrwrap

the stock liner sucks dead Goats
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I was in the cochise for a year or two and then vulcans for the last couple years for touring. I'm in Nordica GPX 130's for alpine. They are a much tighter fit than the vulcan but that's what I was looking for with my alpine boot. The Tecnica Mach 1 LV was similar but a little more roomy than the GPX.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"