Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ask Hoji Anything

Please post questions below for Eric Hjorleifson to answer LIVE on 4FRNT's Instagram @4frnt_skis and Facebook @4frntskis this Sunday Sep 16th at 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Is the new renegade still loose and quick? Is the 191 just the right balance? Will you come to BBI this March in Utah and Ski with us?
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Favourite ski resorts

Thicc?

Is the new Renegade still mach-looney with its new rocker profile?

wtf happened to 4frnt

how has your skis vs your skiing changed.

Did the changes you made in ski design allow you to do what you wanted to on skis, or where you able to do what you wanted to, and the changed the skis to help with that?

Favorite run at Roger's Pass

Do you like gladiator movies?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Who was your favorite skier growing up?

If you had $2000 to spend on a 2 week ski trip, how would you do it?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I realize you only say so much but the internet rumor going around is that there will be a hoji boot without the speed nose ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

To Shift or not to Shift?

Do you see more development happening in backcountry touring access /heli/cat terrain in Canada, and which areas are you currently looking to explore?

Also, Canada vs Europe vs Japan? Best ski experience?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Isn’t the obvious question whether an ass man or tits man (no disrespect intended to the SO)?

How do the new Renegades ski bumps?

Regarding ski design: short question followed by longer explanation of where the question was derived from to give some backstory to why question is posed.

Just curious in all of your time designing and experimenting with various skis, have you done floor to knee area measurements and based a skis front rocker contact point around any formula derived from a number...for example measuring from floor to top of kneecap and using that distance to measure from boot/ski center mount point to contact point of front rocker in a non fully rockered ski?

For the past decade or so, I've spent a lot of time tweaking ski rocker profiles. Lately the tweaks have been modding front rocker contact points of various skis to fine tune the front of ski feel for my personal preferences. The most oft tweaked ski has been an old pair of 1st gen 174cm K2 Darksides. Flat tail, rockered tip. I kept pulling back the contact point by about an inch at a time and finally found the optimum location which was 53cms from boot center/ski mount point. Using this as a template, I bent other skis I use to a similar number of cms+/- from boot center and found that in every case, the change was an improvement of subject ski feel both for inbounds and (mostly, because it's what I mostly ski) natural backcountry snow conditions in all ranges of variability thereof. I recently bent tip and tail rocker into some old rossi b3 bandits for gravel pit skiing and again, the feel of the front of the ski felt really dialed in for pivoty, smeary slarves. The tail rocker added some loose, easy releaseness to the rear of ski while the decambered to a flat profile underfoot provided a 'just right' stable base from which to project from to initiate turns.

In the case of my Volkl 2's, the contact point was too close to boot center and resulted in skis that felt overturny at the tip and not enough tail...so i bent the skis to push the contact point further away in both directions and the ski feel improved notably....still have further to push them out though; this season's project.

With this subjective result of 'all the modded skis felt better' (i'll spare the full individual ski reviews on the how's and why's), it inspired the thought of a curiosity of correlation between personal lower leg anatomy measurements and front rocker contact point from boot center measure. I found that the distance from top of knee cap to floor was equal to the k2 darkside front rocker contact point 53cms...coincidence?

I know there's a million variables in the matrix of designing an awesome ski, boot center mount point, body anatomical composition, height, weight, ski boot design/flex/fit, style of skiing, etc... but it was interesting that I found a number that works for me regardless of my limited quiver's skis inherent style of shape/design/stiffness and even length...skis in quiver range from 95mm to 128mm in underfoot width and run in lengths from 174cms to 186cms.

Just curious in all of your time designing and experimenting with various skis, have you done any measurements of this sort and based a skis rocker profile around any formula?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090912.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	274.5 KB 
ID:	247533

Name:  P1090914.JPG
Views: 483
Size:  113.8 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090912.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	247532  
    Last edited by swissiphic; 09-16-2018 at 06:54 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

When will we see a special edition re-issue EHP in a touring layup? I'll buy 3 pair.

Changes to the Raven this year? Seems to be some concern from comments on the photos that the rocker is a lot more than previous versions. (I'm thinking of getting a pair to replace my old Hojis, mainly for touring Rogers Pass).

Who's your favorite philosopher?
    Favorite music?

Sativa or Indica?

now live

Any chance of a narrower hoji pro boot?

Are you coming to BBI19 @Alpental?