Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yet another advice thread for skis

Looking for some advice mostly because I can't get my hands on many of the skis I'm looking into, and traveling to a new destination for first time (BC/PNW).

Basically, 179cm (5'9") and 75kg (160lbs?), mostly BC-focused skier. Trying to go fast and jump off things, but not nuking down at warp speed yet.

I've tried making Hojis/Ravens work, but maintaining balance on the sweet spot is too much for my tiny brain. I do love my ZG108s @ 178cm...they've been my go to ski for a couple of seasons now. Very little experience on other wider/freeride-style skis, hence lame forum presence.

Looking for something wider yet reasonably versatile (as in can charge yet is still somewhat nimble). On the list presently are:

- Rustler 11
    - Wildcat Tour or Wildcat
    - Kore 117
    - Anima FB

Praxis sound interesting but I have no idea where to start. And I don't feel the need for some 128 underfoot monster, so no Protest.

Cheers guys, suggest away!

We can all make suggestions, but what do you like in a ski? Like the 0G 108 but better pow performance? Also: how will you make your decision? Are you just planning to look at the specs and buy whatever speaks to you on paper? Or buy whatever you can find cheap? Do you have a budget in mind?

As for Praxis, the GPO or Q would be worth a look. The RX would be good, too, but I fear it's too similar to the 0G 108. Wildcat Tour also seems excellent and very light. Be wary of the progressive mount of the Wildcat if you like the mount on the 0G, which has the recommended line at -11.5 or something absurdly far back.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Thanks - it's kind of hard to know more without the capacity to demo and know what works for me...I like the ZG108, and didn't like the Hoji/Raven, but I feel that was mostly due to the full rocker rather than the mounting position. I'll try and demo something like the skis I'm considering if I can soon.

I can wait till December to buy when I land in Canada, and budget isn't really a problem. Probably favoring the Wildcat Tour, but was hoping to hear some reports about any of the skis mentioned. I'll check out dem Praxis skis too.

^^^hmmm
    Seems a 'Praxis RX' was in order here

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    ^^^hmmm
    Seems a 'Praxis RX' was in order here
    Haha I was shocked as well

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You should really consider the Rossignol Soul 7. It truly is the pinnacle of design and performance. Pm NW_Skier.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    You should really consider the Rossignol Soul 7. It truly is the pinnacle of design and performance. Pm NW_Skier.
    Man, this dig still makes me smile every time I see it...

I'm pretty much your size. I tour on 178 Zero G 108's for wind blown, spring snow and ski mountaineering. 182 Praxis GPO's in the Ultralight layup (mounted at -1.5 cm) for powder and mush. 178 Zero G 85 for long tours.

I'm in Colorado. For maritime snowpack touring ski I'd probably take the weight penalty and go with non-ultralight Carbon GPO's for plowing through heavier snow. And if I wanted to ski fast and jump off stuff in open terrain I'd get 187's.

There are a million posts here on the GPO's so I won't get into how they perform. But one thing I like about the combination of GPO and Zero G is that I don't have to change the way I ski when I switch between the two, and they both perform well in different but wide ranges of conditions. The Zero G's give up some fun factor for predictability. The GPO's give up some float for versatility. Both feel extremely balanced fore-aft in all sorts of snow.

The Rustler 11 is a pretty similar ski to the standard (non-carbon) GPO Layup (which I use as a resort ski in a 187) in that it does a lot of things well, but nothing great. I only skied a couple runs on them. They weigh about the same as the non-carbon GPO's. Biggest difference is the Rustlers have less tip and tail taper (which some folks have strong opinions on) and they're a bit softer at the extremities. Rustlers were easier to carve (GPO's need some pretty good angulation) but not as good in chop for the way I ski. Didn't ski them in powder. I think choosing between the two would come down to personal preference/style with respect to taper and sidecut.
    Last edited by I've seen black diamonds!; 09-15-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i felt like it might be a bit to much ski for op
    especially since the Protest was given the NO
    Nah, RX right in the wheelhouse of the skis on OP list.

i felt like it might be a bit to much ski for op
    especially since the Protest was given the NO
    If he likes the 178 0G 108, I don't necessarily think the 184 RX would be too much ski, but it might be too similar to the 0G 108. Neither has much rocker, taper, etc. But maybe it floats and surfs substantially better than the 0G 108, I'm not sure since I haven't skied a pair.

edit: tuco beat me to it.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I'm pretty much your size. I tour on 178 Zero G 108's for wind blown, spring snow and ski mountaineering. 182 Praxis GPO's in the Ultralight layup (mounted at -1.5 cm) for powder and mush. 178 Zero G 85 for long tours.

I'm in Colorado. For maritime snowpack touring ski I'd probably take the weight penalty and go with non-ultralight Carbon GPO's for plowing through heavier snow. And if I wanted to ski fast and jump off stuff in open terrain I'd get 187's.

There are a million posts here on the GPO's so I won't get into how they perform. But one thing I like about the combination of GPO and Zero G is that I don't have to change the way I ski when I switch between the two, and they both perform well in different but wide ranges of conditions. The Zero G's give up some fun factor for predictability. The GPO's give up some float for versatility. Both feel extremely balanced fore-aft in all sorts of snow.

The Rustler 11 is a pretty similar ski to the standard (non-carbon) GPO Layup (which I use as a resort ski in a 187) in that it does a lot of things well, but nothing great. I only skied a couple runs on them. They weigh about the same as the non-carbon GPO's. Biggest difference is the Rustlers have less tip and tail taper (which some folks have strong opinions on) and they're a bit softer at the extremities. Rustlers were easier to carve (GPO's need some pretty good angulation) but not as good in chop for the way I ski. Didn't ski them in powder. I think choosing between the two would come down to personal preference/style with respect to taper and sidecut.
    Thanks for some quality advice - I'll check out the GPOs (although a cursory look at the Blister review left me with questions!)

I really like the point about the versatility of the ZG108, and I'm looking for a similar type of ski, but more powder oriented. It'd be great if it weighed not much more than the ZG, but as you mention, a bit more mass might help out in the area I'm heading too...Four visits to Japan have left me thinking that all powder is fluffy and light.

Haha, I don’t think there is another single blister review out there that has sparked more disagreement from the TGR folks.

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Haha, I don’t think there is another single blister review out there that has sparked more disagreement from the TGR folks.
    Yeah, the blister review is just wrong. They just put the wrong guy on those skis. He is clearly a good skier that just prefers soft, turny skis. He chose Soul 7's and K2 Shreditors as part of his ideal 3 ski quiver: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...wers-choices/5

I can see not loving the GPO because:

A) It isn't a pure powder ski with utterly unsinkable tips (but I'm pushing 100 days on two different pairs and I'm yet to go over the handlebars)
    B) It won't blast through chop like a heavier ski (e.g. Billy Goat or Bodacious, which are too heavy for touring)
    C) It has a lot of taper which some folks don't get along with (If that's you check out the Rustlers).

But the Blister review talks about tails getting hung up and it being a demanding ski which I really don't see. If you like Zero G 108's you won't share these concerns. The GPO is not jibby. You need to do more than tip them on edge to make them come around (much like the Zero G 108's). But they are still very quick with minimal input. The combination of looseness and energy in the tail is their best feature. The reviewer seemed to both recognize this and view it as a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    This.

There are so many options in the Praxis lineup that would fit your bill, ranging from more conventionial to more unique along a spectrum like this RX>GPO>Quixote>Concept. The benefit of the Rx and GPO (as pointed out by ISBD) is that they don't really require an adjustment in approach from any other modern ski and do a ton of stuff really well. The Qs and Concepts, for my money, are more fun in that their designs provide pretty unique skiing experiences, but they can be hit or miss for a lot of people.

Do a little research in the Praxis 2018/19 thread (all sorts of review threads and discussion assembled there by Muggydude) then talk with Keith at Praxis. He can get you super dialed, and its amazing to talk with a ski designer/builder of his skill and knowledge.

If you like the zero-g but want something a little more powder oriented, you may consider a couple year old pair of V Werks katanas. They have them in a 184. I only say a couple years old because you can get new ones for cheap. You can ski that ski traditionally but also break it into a slarve.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    If you like the zero-g but want something a little more powder oriented, you may consider a couple year old pair of V Werks katanas. They have them in a 184. I only say a couple years old because you can get new ones for cheap. You can ski that ski traditionally but also break it into a slarve.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yeah, great ski.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    Do a little research in the Praxis 2018/19 thread
    Thanks, on it and reading now. Rx sounds good, but I'm wary of the 32m radius for the 184 (didn't like the radius of Raven and Hoji). Otherwise, it sounds like the droid I'm after - good tip rocker, bit of tail rocker, camber underfoot, good dimensions, and likes a bit of speed.

I'm also trying to keep the ski as close to 4kg for the pair as I can...standard GPO is looking like 4.26kg.

Is this how you guys all started down the Praxis rabbit-hole?

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post
    Thanks, on it and reading now. Rx sounds good, but I'm wary of the 32m radius for the 184 (didn't like the radius of Raven and Hoji). Otherwise, it sounds like the droid I'm after - good tip rocker, bit of tail rocker, camber underfoot, good dimensions, and likes a bit of speed.

I'm also trying to keep the ski as close to 4kg for the pair as I can...standard GPO is looking like 4.26kg.

Yeah this is definitely how it begins.

Regarding the RX, Betelgeuse has skied more skis in the last few years than most people will in a liftetime and seems to have settled on the Rx as "the one", and as far as I can tell flowing alpy has never felt the need to ski anything else

Good places to start.

Me, I fkn cannot wait to get back on my Quixotes. Its my go as fast as possible and jump off shit ski.

For your purposes and since you said budget isn't really a problem, I'd think enduro + carbon with veneer topsheet would be the layup. You could also go UL but the feedback I've heard has been pretty mixed in terms of whether the weight savings is worth the lack of dampness.

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    Yeah this is definitely how it begins.

Regarding the RX, Betelgeuse has skied "the one"
    In the land of Tahoe, in the shadow of Mt Rose, the Ski Lord Keithron forged in secret a Master Ski to control all others. Into this ski, he poured his cruelty, his mallace, and his will to dominate all conditions.

ONE SKI TO RULE THEM ALL

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    ONE SKI TO RULE THEM ALL
    Sounds grouse - I'm leaning toward the RX or the Q, as the GPO has a bit more bulk than my inner weight weenie is willing to embrace. I've got Shifts and ZGTP boots, and trying to keep it around the 8.5kg mark would be nice. I'm a fit guy, but I'm only getting older!

Maybe I should head the way of the Quixote in the 188, instead of the RX in the 184. Are they comparable? Is one more versatile than the other?

Thanks for indulging one so ignorant in the ways of Praxis. Lastly, what's the closest layup they have to the Soul 7s (including graphics)?

EDIT- Surely the 32m radius on the RX 184cm is an error?

Sounds grouse - I'm leaning toward the RX or the Q, as the GPO has a bit more bulk than my inner weight weenie is willing to embrace. I've got Shifts and ZGTP boots, and trying to keep it around the 8.5kg mark would be nice. I'm a fit guy, but I'm only getting older!

Maybe I should head the way of the Quixote in the 188, instead of the RX in the 184. Are they comparable? Is one more versatile than the other?

Thanks for indulging one so ignorant in the ways of Praxis. Lastly, what's the closest layup they have to the Soul 7s (including graphics)?
    You should really ping Keith to understand the specific differences between the three and how that will fit into your skiing style. I have a hard time believing the Q is actually lighter than the GPO -- it's likely for that the specs are listed for slightly different layups. Actually, the site sez the stock 188 Q is 9.8# and the stock 187 GPO is 9.4 so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea the Q is lighter...

RX will definitely be less pow specific and more versatile with more camber, less rocker, and minimal taper. Q has a lot going on with it -- more rocker for sure and also an asymmetric sidecut where the outer edges have more taper so they're less hooky.

EDIT- Surely the 32m radius on the RX 184cm is an error?
    Nope. Straight skis are mo better because they're less hooky in funky snow. It's a common misconception that a long radius ski can only make long radius turns. You can often make any turn shape you want, especially if you smear and slarve your turns as opposed to a strict carve.

photos

did he just ask if Praxis has a topsheet similar to the Soul7
    And a similar build. ((rolls eyes))

Methinks you two are getting trolled...

Thought crossed my mind...