Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Just an FYI but the schools in BTV are kind of a shit show at the moment. Looks like we will probably be paying another superintendent to go away, I think this will be the 4th one in a row. South end is a great neighborhood, expensive but way less than Boston. No kids in schools but the Mrs has taught in Burlington for over 20 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    I am in Boston now and real estate and school logistics are both complicated. City is also getting more dense and intense. Not as easy as it once was to get around. Our condo is small and upgrade costs are mind boggling even when compare to a pricey for VT Burlington. Not really interested in moving to a suburb w no downtown to speak of. .
    These are the exact reasons my wife, son and I left Boston last year after living in the city of 10 years. Can't express how happy we now are in Vermont. We settled in quickly and now really feel at home here. I'm sure it'll be the same for you and your family. Best of luck.

^Thanks. Perhaps track you down for a beer once I fully migrate. I think we have similar taste. May PM you w more questions as the timeline draws closer. Only been to BVT a handful of times so still learning the area. Access to bike path/beach/downtown all big draws for Mrs. Doremite.
    Absolutely, let me know.

Possible move to Burlington, VT area looking for BETA.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    These are the exact reasons my wife, son and I left Boston last year after living in the city of 10 years. Can't express how happy we now are in Vermont. We settled in quickly and now really feel at home here. I'm sure it'll be the same for you and your family. Best of luck.
    Awesome to hear. I am pretty excited about the move and have been frequenting the state for recreation for over 20 years. Bought a vacation home there in 2015 and no regrets yet. Just trying not to have an overly romantic outlook as it is all about trade-offs. I’ve been in Boston since college (early 90s) and I need a change of scenery. Need an airport and BTV checks off that box too. Also need to remain in reasonable driving distance to Boston to make the his work for my job.
    Uno mas

BVT usually means an extra leg on any flight but the airport is a breeze. from car to the gate is less than 15 minutes flying American. Sometimes Delta takes a few minutes longer because when I was flying Delta often flew bigger planes in and out of the airport and getting through TSA could taken a moment longer

Many of the American flights are Bombardiers. Often the smallest one with no first class. The hubs I flew through are Philly, Charlotte and DC

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    BVT usually means an extra leg on any flight but the airport is a breeze. from car to the gate is less than 15 minutes flying American. Sometimes Delta takes a few minutes longer because when I was flying Delta often flew bigger planes in and out of the airport and getting through TSA could taken a moment longer

Many of the American flights are Bombardiers. Often the smallest one with no first class. The hubs I flew through are Philly, Charlotte and DC
    Thanks and aligns w what I figured. Mainly fly to DC for inlaw visits so figured it will suffice for that. Guessing to NY or DC first for anything longer. International or what not.
    Uno mas

delta has daily multiple flights to Laguardia

Don’t rule out Montreal for International and domestic flights. Montreal has a few direct flights to Vancouver and Calgary.

If you’re hell bent on Burlington then your options for reliable x-c after work are sleepy hollow and Bolton Valley or if snowy the golf course. For ease of escaping the town. South End north of 189 between Home Ave and Flynn Ave is probably quickest, followed by the area east of UVM and before Winooski (Centenial Woods area). Be weary of anything near the airport, the guard is attempting to bring F35 planes which will increase the noise pollution in the immediate area.

i wouldn't live in burlington now. I did in the 80s.

i lived in a great neighborhood in seattle and burlington doesn't compare and the taxes are ridiculous and you will have neighbors.

Good school, cute town = Middlebury. I would pick east middlebury

Breadloaf wilderness a step away with groomed and ungroomed xc

church street is ridiculous. everybody looks just like you , north face and pattigucci. it is such a cliche

i wouldn't live in burlington now. I did in the 80s.

i lived in a great neighborhood in seattle and burlington doesn't compare and the taxes are ridiculous and you will have neighbors.

Good school, cute town = Middlebury. I would pick east middlebury

Breadloaf wilderness a step away with groomed and ungroomed xc

church street is ridiculous. every body looks just like you , north face and pattigucci. it is such a cliche
    I lived on Phinney Ridge in Seattle and moved to the sticks of VT almost 20 years ago. I’m ready to move back to an “urban” setting with neighbors and amenities.

I’ll probably have to outbid OP for a house though.

i'm on 14 acres and 5 minutes from a town on route 7 with grocer, and two pubs and middlebury is 15 minutes

there are places that are rural and getting eggs and some arugula isn't a half hour trip

i would avoid living far from a good grocer. it is a hassle. when I lived in charlotte and had to drive to shelburne for a steak was a fucking pain in the ass

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I lived on Phinney Ridge in Seattle and moved to the sticks of VT almost 20 years ago. I’m ready to move back to an “urban” setting with neighbors and amenities.

I’ll probably have to outbid OP for a house though.
    Move on up. I will come over and drink your home brew and we can stroll church street in our micro puffs and talk about the art of the telemark turn.
    Uno mas

Move on up. I will come over and drink your home brew and we can stroll church street in our micro puffs and talk about the art of the telemark turn.
    You'll have to be more specific so I will I know it's you vs. every other fucking dude in town.

You'll have to be more specific so I will I know it's you vs. every other fucking dude in town.
    Ha, he'll meet you at Foam, that will make it easy right? Of course mniaw and I will already be there so we'll save you a few chairs!

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    Ha, he'll meet you at Foam, that will make it easy right? Of course mniaw and I will already be there so we'll save you a few chairs!
    None of it matters since I’m trying to outbid Boston immigrants on a home and just can’t win that battle.

Drinking at Foam certainly doesn't help the finance box that's for sure. On the bright side, you could sell a shitload of homebrew at farmers market...it has worked out ok for Joe at BBC.

None of it matters since I’m trying to outbid Boston immigrants on a home and just can’t win that battle.
    Fortunately I bought in Boston 15 years ago and it is just stupid what people will pay these days. Having something to sell in this market is obviously a huge leg up. The land of the $1M shit hole.
    Uno mas

lol

lol
    Apparently I’m not that memorable.
    Uno mas

telemarker wearing a puffy on church street? nope, that's everyone

and for god sakes, go to zero gravity

telemarker wearing a puffy on church street? nope, that's everyone

and for god sakes, go to zero gravity
    I have actually skied with Peruvian so I am joking. Your point isn’t lost on me though. I am just too old to care what anyone else is doing or wearing. Still think I will enjoy the scene more than Boston. I am sick of people looking down on me because my Maserati isn’t a 2019.

Foam is far superior to Zero Gravity but along the same vein I don’t really care what others prefer in their glass.
    Uno mas

zero g is lower on the pretentious scale

conehead is quite quaffable

I have actually skied with Peruvian so I am joking.
    i got it from the tone...

I am sick of people looking down on me because my Maserati isn’t a 2019.
    Be prepared for folks who scoff if your Taco is newer than 2002. You loose respect with each subsequent model year.

so true