Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Possible move to Burlington, VT area looking for BETA.

Searched, didn't find much....

Possibly moving to work in the Burlington, VT area. Have two boys high school aged. Looking for decent public high school for them. Commute of about 30 minutes or less. Things I'd like to be able to do in close proximity - obviously ski, ski after work (with headlamp) either x-country/touring close by, mtn biking, road biking, some fishing, hiking. Waterbury seems pretty cool but I don't really remember much of it while skiing at Stowe, just somewhere I've driven through. Where do you think I should be checking out?

Unless the job is east of Burlington, Waterbury will not fit your 30 minute commute.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Look at So. Burlington and Essex HS for your boys.

Spend a few weekends scoping out the area. Waterbury has it perks and good location for outdoor access but more going on in Burlington. Depends what you are looking for. Believe both Burlington and South Burlington have decent public high schools. Not sure on the surrounding towns. Good luck.

I am likely moving to that area soon as well.
    Uno mas

Waterbury's not too much more than 30?

It's got a great high school: Hardwood Union

PM: MyNameIsAugustWest or maybe Peruvian. Post in the East coast roll call and I'm sure many others here will offer you lots of advice.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Harwood sucks, do not let your kids go there.
    Essex is the best as long as globalfoundries is still around. South Burlington is not bad either much better than Burlington.

I went to high school in South Burlington and am a degenerate.

Harwood sucks, do not let your kids go there.
    Essex is the best as long as globalfoundries is still around. South Burlington is not bad either much better than Burlington.
    burlington not good

Cow Valley Union is good (CVU). Harwood is not bad, Stowe is good, the Richmond school is good and yes to Essex. The schools on the other side of the lake are actually really good.

Mine goes to Vergennes Union. Kids grow up a little slower and the school is OK. I would have prefered Middlebury

you realize VT sucks for a career

Living in Burlington is not living in Vermont. Vermont is really close by....

Quote Originally Posted by AmmergauerTele View Post
    Searched, didn't find much....

Possibly moving to work in the Burlington, VT area. Have two boys high school aged. Looking for decent public high school for them. Commute of about 30 minutes or less. Things I'd like to be able to do in close proximity - obviously ski, ski after work (with headlamp) either x-country/touring close by, mtn biking, road biking, some fishing, hiking. Waterbury seems pretty cool but I don't really remember much of it while skiing at Stowe, just somewhere I've driven through. Where do you think I should be checking out?
    unless you are in healthcare, I would research what other employment options you have if your gig doesn't work out

I met my ex wife in VT and we returned from seattle, her gig didn't work out and her career was crushed and now makes two thirds of what she did in the job we returned to

And I work remotely for non VT based companies

Essex HS looks quite nice - and a bonus they have a bass fishing team, my boys are sold on that alone! Appreciate the info. I will definitely take it onboard about the employment options, mrs is a school teacher...If I get there and job doesn't work out, we'd probably have to leave. They have any rowing in the area? Would like to get a single again for rowing.

Essex schools are really good. CVU is probably the next best in the area so you can live in Williston. If you want to be closer to BC skiing (Underhill, Jericho, etc), the schools are going to get a little dicy. BTW, from where I live in Essex (almost in Jericho), it takes 25 minutes to get to the hospital. It just takes a long time to get anywhere around Burlington because there is no fast way to get there unless you live right next to the interstate. OTOH, I can be in Lot 1 at Smuggs in about 30 minutes if the roads are clear.

Best source for info is FussyDutchman. He's been in the BTV area (South Burlington) far longer than I have and he put his kid in private school.

Williston and Essex Jct have that more modern suburbs cookie cutter house feel, box stores, etc. Personally, I don’t think you can go wrong with schools in Chittenden County.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Essex schools are really good. CVU is probably the next best in the area so you can live in Williston. If you want to be closer to BC skiing (Underhill, Jericho, etc), the schools are going to get a little dicy. BTW, from where I live in Essex (almost in Jericho), it takes 25 minutes to get to the hospital. It just takes a long time to get anywhere around Burlington because there is no fast way to get there unless you live right next to the interstate. OTOH, I can be in Lot 1 at Smuggs in about 30 minutes if the roads are clear.

Best source for info is FussyDutchman. He's been in the BTV area (South Burlington) far longer than I have and he put his kid in private school.
    Does FD like beer? Maybe I should track him down once I am an official green plater
    Uno mas

As far as the non school stuff you can find hiking biking and fishing most of the surrounding towns. As far as after work skiing, elevation makes a big difference. Down in the Champlain Valley can have long stretches of bare ground in the winter. Getting up in the hills (Huntington, Richmond, Jericho, Underhill etc. ) will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Does FD like beer? Maybe I should track him down once I am an official green plater
    Does a bear shit in the woods? You should see his beer fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If it's sculling you are looking to do, mornings on Iroquois might work for you.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    If it's sculling you are looking to do, mornings on Iroquois might work for you.
    Real Burlington oarsman race dragon boats!

Otherwise go to craftsbury for sculling.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Does a bear shit in the woods? You should see his beer fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah that was a joke. I have a bit of a collection problem myself.
    Uno mas

Yeah for sculling. Water decently flat on the eastern side of Champlain for sculling? In any protected bays?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Real Burlington oarsman race dragon boats!

Otherwise go to craftsbury for sculling.
    Looked like a lot of lesbians from the TV coverage I see. I assumed he was looking for sculling water and I know Craftsbury is the epicenter of VT sculling, but a bit far for pre/post work sessions if they are in Chittenden county.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by AmmergauerTele View Post
    Yeah for sculling. Water decently flat on the eastern side of Champlain for sculling? In any protected bays?
    Just seeing this, let me know when you're in the area again. As mniaw stated, there really isn't any good way in/out of downtown during rush hour(s) if you will be working in the city. It's certainly not Boston traffic but it will add a minimum of 15 minutes to your morning/afternoon commute at peak times.

On the schools, that has been fairly well covered but if I were going to give you my 2¢ on the public schools I'd personally rate them cvu, SoBTV then probably Essex with Colchester close behind. Taxes are pretty ugly everywhere as I'm sure you've noticed but SoBTV and Burlington are bend over harsh so factoring that in I'd say Essex probably is the best value with cvu a solid second depending on what town you are in. Shelburne will be $$ than Richmond or Hinsburg. Mt Mansfield Union is an option further out (Jericho/Underhill area) but that's going to be outside your 30 minute drive radius to BTV by a good 15mins and add more commute hassles. On the up side though, you'll be much closer to the mountains and if you want some land with your house you'll be able to find much better value out there. The islands are another option further out if your kids drive (school choice so you could send them anywhere), easy lake access but pretty rural and a hike to the hills for snow.

Probably a stretch to say there are protected bays on the lake anywhere around the broad lake but depending on the wind direction you often can find somewhere to at least hide and find manageable water. We spend most summer/early fall weekends on the lake and it still amazes me how quickly conditions change, sometimes multiple times a day. It can go from near glass to 2ft rollers in 10 minutes with a slight wind shift even in the smaller bays.

Doremite, what's your timing on the possible move?
    Last edited by FussyDutchman; 09-17-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post

Doremite, what's your timing on the possible move?
    We are thinking ~June 2019 to start my 4 (then 5) yo in K in Sept. Targeting south of downtown so looking at Champlain.

I am in Boston now and real estate and school logistics are both complicated. City is also getting more dense and intense. Not as easy as it once was to get around. Our condo is small and upgrade costs are mind boggling even when compare to a pricey for VT Burlington. Not really interested in moving to a suburb w no downtown to speak of.

We have a place in Westmore (Willoughby) so this also puts us much closer to there, skiing, mt biking etc. Once my kids get into school and sports I don’t want to be stuck in MA when I want to be in VT. Bunch of other reasons too I won’t further bore the internet with.

Oh and I can keep my stable MA based employment which is the cornerstone of the exodus.
    Uno mas

^

Nice, sounds like you have a solid plan. If you are talking Champlain Elem also take a look at being in a neighborhood where your kid would go to Orchard (SoBTV) which is literally less than 2 miles south. Mine is a snr in HS now so it's been a while (went there until 3rd grade when we (my wife) decided to go the private school route) but it definitely seems to still be the school that many moving from out of town/state zero in on for K-6. There are several great and somewhat "affordable" (relative to where you are coming from anyway) neighborhoods in that district with many being easy walking or bike ride distance to the school.

^Thanks. Perhaps track you down for a beer once I fully migrate. I think we have similar taste. May PM you w more questions as the timeline draws closer. Only been to BVT a handful of times so still learning the area. Access to bike path/beach/downtown all big draws for Mrs. Doremite.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Oh and I can keep my stable MA based employment which is the cornerstone of the exodus.
    Ah, that's the key right there! Wish I could move and keep my job.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy