Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks for Jerseying our tax problems. Someone had to say it.

A NY farmer on the border Of VT was approached one day by a land surveyor while plowing his fields. The land surveyor says “sorry, but after surveying your land it looks like your land is actually in VT.” The farmer gets off his tractor and kisses the surveyor. “Thank god almighty,” he says “I don’t think I could take another minute livin’ in a state so close to NJ.”

Why is moving from NJ to Vt like golf? You spend your life to get to the greens and end up in a hole.

How many transplants from NJ does it take to fix VT’s tax problem? None, they broke it.

An old timer fix for high taxes, Ask your neighbor from Jersey and do the opposite.

Why are the mountains of VT better than the flatlands? Because shit flows downhill.

Ever see a drug dealer from VT? Nope, neither have I, they’re all from NJ.

Thanks, i’ll Be here all night.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Ha. Their house on Fairview? I graduated with them, wrestled with them, and ran with them for sure. Proms, Dances, all the bullshit. Crazy dudes. Scott is now Newark Fireman, I still see him from time to time. Ken live down the shore. He was a commodities broker, I think he quit. Pretty sure he banged my GF when I was at USNA prep in 93. Retrospectively I think he tried to come clean when I was home on leave once. LoL. I forgive him. Fun place to grow up, we basically did whatever we wanted, my buddy Matt's dad was a local detective. We got a LOT of free passes. Different there now. I grew up out in Green Village, so I went to Harding with the rich folks. I was kind of a redneck there, fit in way better with the wrestlers from town. If you knew the wrestling team back then, you'd know who I was. Did you know Mark Faccianni? We were rivals when he went to Delbarton. I think we wrestled 5 times in HS.
    Don't know Mark and I grew up on Fairview. Blue house just 1 down and across street from broncos (towards the high school). I was in Jeff's class. I didn't roll with the wrestling team, but Madison's small so I knew a lot of people, classes above and below. Used to hang with Neil O'Donnell at the westheads a bunch. Fun times. And yeah Madison was a sleepy town. Got away with a lot. More than a few keggers when my parents were out of town.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Don't know Mark and I grew up on Fairview. Blue house just 1 down and across street from broncos (towards the high school). I was in Jeff's class. I didn't roll with the wrestling team, but Madison's small so I knew a lot of people, classes above and below. Used to hang with Neil O'Donnell at the westheads a bunch. Fun times. And yeah Madison was a sleepy town. Got away with a lot. More than a few keggers when my parents were out of town.

Too funny. O'D married my gym teacher. She was smokan. Mark's family lived on Central so you guys were almost neighbors, his brother John was maybe your age. Both ended up at Delbarton. I think I was in your sister's class if you're Amy's bro. We almost "Dated" freshman year. Our lockers were next to each other. Tell her Packie says hello.

BTW... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gFoHkkCaRE

...and bore-ass. There's a reason I left 6 days after graduating and never went back. Jersey was sweet in 1901 when my family moved there. My dad used to walk to school with his 20 guage shooting pheasant, kept his shotgun and game in his locker. That was 1956. Times have changed.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 09-27-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Too funny. O'D married my gym teacher. She was smokan. Mark's family lived on Central so you guys were almost neighbors, his brother John was maybe your age. Both ended up at Delbarton. I think I was in your sister's class if you're Amy's bro. We almost "Dated" freshman year. Our lockers were next to each other. Tell her Packie says hello.

BTW... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gFoHkkCaRE

...and bore-ass. There's a reason I left 6 days after graduating and never went back. Jersey was sweet in 1901 when my family moved there. My dad used to walk to school with his 20 guage shooting pheasant, kept his shotgun and game in his locker. That was 1956. Times have changed.
    Just sent her a text. "Packie says hi" I'll let you know what she says. Fuggin small world. We have a place in VT. Where u at? Kmart (pinnacle condos) for us.

We live near Montpelier in Northfield. Nice little stroll down memory lane.

We live near Montpelier in Northfield. Nice little stroll down memory lane.
    She said hi

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Most manufacturing jobs weren't lost to higher taxes. Bombardier admitted it was loosing contracts due to late on deliveries and poor design, GEs closure was political (as was then placing Lockheed Martin's F-35 program in Burlington), and VT Castings was acquired by a larger firm out of KY after not keeping up with the newer technology on the market, IDX was also acquired. IBM sold the VT division to GlobalFoundries which is based out of California. Most of these decisions are for 'shareholder value' and to make the executives rich.

What's changed since the 70s/80s? It has little to do with tiny ol' Vermont.

Attachment 248758
    Here's a little secret about CEO and senior executive compensation....most of it is in the form of stock options. Notice the huge dips in compensation in 2003 and 2008 which coincided with stock market corrections. I only know this because my brother who is much smarter than me was the Exec VP for operations of a fairly large publicly traded company.

You know that Bombardier has a plant across the lake in Plattsburgh, right? NY bases its tax breaks for corporations based on the number of jobs they create.

It's a well-documented fact that IBM started retreating from Vermont when George Pataki offered the company $41 million in tax breaks to manufacture the 400mm silicon wafers in Fishkill rather than in the Essex Junction plant which had pioneered the process for the 100mm and 200mm wafers and had the talent pool in-house to do this. That was the beginning of the end.

For those that think I'm a shiny, white-collar douchebag, you don't know me or my history. I actually have worked almost every job in a restaurant from dishwasher to line cook. It's hard work that doesn't pay all that well. That's why I decided to do something else with my life. It's all about choices and priorities. If you choose to move to Vermont and don't bring your well-paying job with benefits with you, you may find it hard. The upside is great but don't expect it to be easy or have the same level of amenities and services you had in MA, CT, NY, or NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I actually have worked almost every job in a restaurant from dishwasher to line cook. It's hard work that doesn't pay all that well. That's why I decided to do something else with my life. It's all about choices and priorities.
    Heard that.

Is Bezos on Titsongravity? Amazon 15/hr min. I feel less conflicted now when I watch GOT on Prime.

Good thread. Thanks for the insights posted here.

Burlington is in our radar for graduate studies for my wife. We would be coming from Oregon. I don't have a job that I can do remotely, so would need to find something there. This thread doesn't give me happy thoughts about the job market.

Burlington seems expensive, where would a good base for family of 4 with one that needs to commute to UVM?

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Good thread. Thanks for the insights posted here.

Burlington is in our radar for graduate studies for my wife. We would be coming from Oregon. I don't have a job that I can do remotely, so would need to find something there. This thread doesn't give me happy thoughts about the job market.

Burlington seems expensive, where would a good base for family of 4 with one that needs to commute to UVM?
    Kids in school? That is a major driver for your decision if so.

Kids in school? That is a major driver for your decision if so.
    Oldest would be 3 next year when this move would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Oldest would be 3 next year when this move would happen.
    So, no.

In that case, Richmond would put you close enough to B’ton but give you access to Bolton Valley (mostly for the BC), Camels Hump, and a short drive to Stowe or the Bush.

Lots of good MTB riding in the area as well.^^^

So, no.

In that case, Richmond would put you close enough to B’ton but give you access to Bolton Valley (mostly for the BC), Camels Hump, and a short drive to Stowe or the Bush.
    Except he will have kids in school sometime fairly soon, right? Unless graduate studies and plans to stay are short.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Except he will have kids in school sometime fairly soon, right? Unless graduate studies and plans to stay are short.
    I assumed it was a temporary move. Either way, Richmond Elementary is well respected.

On another note, if anyone knows of a sub $2200 3bdrm rental in Burlington, please let me know.

Scary good beer Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1677.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	295792
    Uno mas

Either way, Richmond Elementary is well respected.
    Cool. I did some bike riding out that way when I lived in Burlington 20 years ago, good secret trails (may not be very secret now, I'm guessing). Always thought it was a good mix of rural small town commutable to the "city".
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Richmond is clearly the next Williston. I'd look out 15 not out rt 2 from Burlington. Closer to far better and far less marketed recreational resources IMO.

Signing a lease this week for a place downtown as the house is under contract.

What street? Myrtle?

char_ if your wife is doing graduate school in Burlington the drive into town is easier from the East, the North/South corridors are painfully slow in comparison.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Congrats, Peruvian!

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    What street? Myrtle?

char_ if your wife is doing graduate school in Burlington the drive into town is easier from the East, the North/South corridors are painfully slow in comparison.
    Generally true but coming in to or out of downtown has become much more of a shitshow in the last few years from every direction. Between 7am-9am and 3pm-6pm I do everything possible to avoid downtown and surrounding areas, especially Shelburne and Williston Rds. Vermont's population continues to decline with the exception of Chittenden Co. and it is very noticeable on the roads. Even the previously less traveled "backroads" are congested more often than not.

Graduate student at ? UVM or St.Mikes? No downtown involved. Though char_ job comes into play.

Signing a lease this week for a place downtown as the house is under contract.
    Welcome to town. My kids are all consuming these days but would like to catch up with some mags in the area at some point.

Coming from a Boston perspective I’ve yet to see anything resembling traffic. Some slow moving stuff on 7 but I am coming from the depths of traffic hell. It is all relative.
    Uno mas