Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Ahh so much Louise nostalgia, also from days spent there with dad as a young kid. Spring windbuff/chalk laps off the back of Summit and Paradise are so damn fun too.
    Yeah man. Sorry to gum up your thread with all sorts of feelings Rockies folks, but as much as I had a great day skiing at Louise it was the nostalgia trip that really got to me. When I think about it, my life decisions being centered around mountains has it's roots in my early days skiing Louise. Inspiring place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_d.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	442.1 KB 
ID:	275190

Quote Originally Posted by TOLOCOMan View Post
    Nordic could really depend on how warm it gets this week and how much of the predicted rain comes on the weekend. Can give you a better update later in the week.

Nordic Centre should be good on the manmade trails (about 10km), natural snow trails might be done. Lake Louise should still be ok for classic. My Shark might be ok too, but haven't skied up there this year. Will likely be ideal skin ski conditions for classic if you have them.

Will likely be doing some dh and some xc skiing throughout next week. Will also be the driver on the Kicking Horse shuttle and skiing there on the 26th if that interests you.
    Thanks for the info. Spooky told be about bobs Nordic site so that helps. I don’t think I’ll/we’ll be up for the kh trip on our second day out so will likely check out ssv and LL first two days.
    Appreciate the update. If it’s not snowing up high I’ll be hoping for sun...

Name:	IMG_5524.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	275383

Name:	IMG_5521.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1,005.1 KB 
ID:	275384

Family ski day got downgraded from Sunshine to Nakiska but all was good.

Loving the Magic carpets at these big resorts. My youngest who just turned 4 is able to be completely independent and do her own laps which is cool.

Different resorts have different cultures, that goes without saying. Nakiska is fully race culture. Even lots of older types in racing suits.

Props to Louise for having some seriously good old skiers. NOIt really charging or anything but I saw lots of really old looking types linking together nice turns in challenging terrain. Not really charging or anything, just seriously solid skiers. Hope I am that good when I reach their age.

Pretty damn good week up at Campbell Icefield. Still good powder on the shadiest slopes above 1800m. Crusts on all solar aspects but on the SSW slopes above the hut they were supportive even in late afternoon, giving nice corn snow skiing after a beer at the top.

Finished the week with my second run down the 'refrigerator'.

Name:	IMG_4727a.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	275645

Hey Jasper mags, how's she holding up? Planning to ski there Sat, with optional day Friday if it's somewhat decent (free day so what the feck?).
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    ...Which time block below would you choose if you're trying to get softer, smoother, easier conditions for FWT Ozone lines? (yeah right, haha).

I will ski 6 consecutive days at KH inbounds, but it must be either:
    - within March 3-11 (forecast not looking great)
    or
    - March 23-28 (Might get lucky with better conditions at that time, but that's only 2 weeks before closing day, so is that typically sucky deteriorating "late-season" conditions?)

The earlier period (see forecast below) seems "below average" to me, so would you wait 3 weeks and hope for it to swing back to above average?
    Quote Originally Posted by brraaap802 View Post
    At this point I'd go with the later March spot as cold and dry for a bit. March typically gets a lot of snow so hopefully it turns soon...
    Well, after deferring my trip for 3.5 weeks to hope for improved conditions, it's still not looking great. But I'm coming anyway right now (7 days free lift tickets to KickingHorse & Fernie), with low expectations, pretty much just to scout the terrain for future visits. Should be fun & relaxed.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Hey Jasper mags, how's she holding up? Planning to ski there Sat, with optional day Friday if it's somewhat decent (free day so what the feck?).
    PM jetski . he's local

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Well, after deferring my trip for 3.5 weeks to hope for improved conditions, it's still not looking great. But I'm coming anyway right now (7 days free lift tickets to KickingHorse & Fernie), with low expectations, pretty much just to scout the terrain for future visits. Should be fun & relaxed.

I'll be in fernie Thursday Friday this week. PM me if you want to ski.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Was springy and fun on the weekend. Look at the freeze temps for when to start your day. Supposed to get a couple cms today, the weather looks cool all week so no degrading right away. Some closures due to sun exposure (south facing) and the Knob may close early afternoon depending on daytime heating. I may be up Friday and or Saturday.

spring snow squalls all day today in town, hoping that someone got 10+cm to give us a reset to winter

Interesting article if u guys like skiing in banff...u might want to rethink who u vote for next elections...

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...bill-avalanche

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Interesting article if u guys like skiing in banff...u might want to rethink who u vote for next elections...

Good find. I can say that there is a lot of interesting things happening in banff. Especially from the federal level. Not just the ssv vs.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Anyone know if it's possible to park and sleep in a small trailer in Kimberley or Golden? I'm assuming in the lot at either hill is a no go, but a quiet side street or parking lot in town... Or somewhere... for 1 night would do.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Anyone know if it's possible to park and sleep in a small trailer in Kimberley or Golden? I'm assuming in the lot at either hill is a no go, but a quiet side street or parking lot in town... Or somewhere... for 1 night would do.

I would think you should be OK at one of the over flow parking lots at Kicking Horse that is out of site of the base area. I know it's not a problem at the hill in Fernie. If anyone gives you grief tell them that you'll be spending lots of money there on lift tickets and food and maybe threaten that you'll spend your money at Revy next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    I would think you should be OK at one of the over flow parking lots at Kicking Horse that is out of site of the base area. I know it's not a problem at the hill in Fernie. If anyone gives you grief tell them that you'll be spending lots of money there on lift tickets and food and maybe threaten that you'll spend your money at Revy next time.
    Didn't know that... Thanks.

Which lots are overflow at KH? I can't think of a lot that isn't in site of the hill.

I've been there a lot but I must be a creature of habit as to where I park.

FWIW I'd be careful about drawing any conclusions from something written by LIcia Corbella - she's just a rage-bait columnist who has proven herself to be a shameless shill for Sunshine and the Scurfields for at least a decade. Lots of overlap and undisclosed relationships between Scurfs/SSV and the Herald.

Hopefully the local mountain papers do a little legitimate reporting on this - it does seem interesting to be included in the budget, but I don't think it's unusual to highlight some of the big issues being tackled by Parks Canada. Pretty sure amendments to the National Parks Act will be separate legislation - Corbella's assertion that the phrase being included in the budget actually does anything is crazy.

There are many, many reasons to not vote Liberal, and this may actually be one of them, but don't take Corbella's word for it.

Yeah no prob in kimberley, see it somewhat regularly in the furthest lot. No one will hassle you there.

Which lots are overflow at KH? I can't think of a lot that isn't in site of the hill.

Keep in mind I'm not guaranteeing anything, that just the attitude at Fernie. As far as overflow, I don't know the names of the lots, I would park at the very end of one of the big lots thats most secluded. Maybe have a quick look at Google Maps to scout out some potential spots.

Quote Originally Posted by p.blz View Post
    Yeah no prob in kimberley, see it somewhat regularly in the furthest lot. No one will hassle you there.
    Thanks.

KH has an overnight lot for RV’s. 1st lot on right across from hotel. It is clearly marked with signage

KH has an overnight lot for RV’s. 1st lot on right across from hotel. It is clearly marked with signage
    Huh... I've never noticed that... Thanks.

so old washed up pros skiing in banff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFXoRlEH--w

I'm not there but Marmot got 28 over night. I know jetski was up, hopefully he gives a report.

Did anybody make it out today Lake/Sunshine? I was thinking the 8ish wasn’t enough to make it worthwhile but I’d like to be proven wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Did anybody make it out today Lake/Sunshine? I was thinking the 8ish wasn’t enough to make it worthwhile but I’d like to be proven wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

second hand reports are that the noise was muffled, but not removed.