Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 842
  1. #326
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    north by northwest
    Posts
    9,269
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Its a SSV closeuse, so once SSV closes for the season, and ropes/signs etc are pulled its not closed anymore.

    also by that time its usually slide to ground (june1)
    i meant they don't advertise it as a part of their extreme freeride terrain anymore like they used to at the end of the last decade. does "closeuse" mean it may open for events/competitions/use when the conditions permit? does it still get regularly bombed? is the gate in front still there? i didn't see it last weekend when i went up...

  2. #327
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    611
    Gets bombed for delirium ski out safety and shoulder safety. Been closed since a patroller got taken for a ride even after bombing it.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

  3. #328
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    north by northwest
    Posts
    9,269
    thanks.

  4. #329
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,127
    Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    i meant they don't advertise it as a part of their extreme freeride terrain anymore like they used to at the end of the last decade. does "closeuse" mean it may open for events/competitions/use when the conditions permit? does it still get regularly bombed? is the gate in front still there? i didn't see it last weekend when i went up...
    odds are never to be opened again. I got 2 laps in when it was "open" with patrol. We took the easiest route in/out (far lookers left) it was kinda spooky, and the other "options" where even more spicy.

    no real reason to ever have public in that terrain, but I do kinda miss it


  5. #330
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    north by northwest
    Posts
    9,269
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    odds are never to be opened again. I got 2 laps in when it was "open" with patrol. We took the easiest route in/out (far lookers left) it was kinda spooky, and the other "options" where even more spicy.

    no real reason to ever have public in that terrain, but I do kinda miss it
    not a place i would ever aspire to ski more than once i took this pic in 2011, full size image here: https://i.imgur.com/lSUvwNA.jpg



    The reason I was asking about it is because I read the other thread about soaring ski passes and immediately thought "i bet the extreme skiing boom is over, now heated chairlifts are more important".

    Sorry to digress this thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lSUvwNA.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	261629  

  6. #331
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,127
    Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    not a place i would ever aspire to ski more than once i took this pic in 2011, full size image here

    The reason I was asking about it is because I read the other thread about soaring ski passes and immediately thought "i bet the extreme skiing boom is over, now heated chairlifts are more important".

    Sorry to digress this thread.
    SC looks VERY filled in.

    also cool to see the hayes hill area


  7. #332
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary/Golden
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    odds are never to be opened again. I got 2 laps in when it was "open" with patrol. We took the easiest route in/out (far lookers left) it was kinda spooky, and the other "options" where even more spicy.

    no real reason to ever have public in that terrain, but I do kinda miss it
    1. Pocket rocket (or is it rocket pocket ).!! Did a few laps down Silver city as well- too bad but agree never open again

    2. My daughter can never work in Banff...

  8. #333
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    669
    Flights and accommodation booked for Revelstoke, Feb 2-10. Not my first time to BC, but first time in the winter. Hooefully that gives me just enough time to get my legs ready for some real vert.

  9. #334
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sun Peaks Resort
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
    Flights and accommodation booked for Revelstoke, Feb 2-10. Not my first time to BC, but first time in the winter. Hooefully that gives me just enough time to get my legs ready for some real vert.
    I am curious as to which airport that you are flying to, Calgary or Kelowna. Calgary has a bigger airport (more flights?) but the drive is roughly twice the drive from Kelowna and with Calgary it also mean going thru the often closed Rogers Pass. BTW Revy is not in the Canadian Rockies but most who do not live in western Canada do not know that.

  10. #335
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    6
    Heading up to Banff for the first time during the winter tomorrow! Planning on spending two days at SSV and two days at LL, any suggestions for what to do on the other two days?

    I just picked up a touring setup this fall, but would be more than happy to use it alongside snowshoe trails and such.

  11. #336
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Creekside
    Posts
    1,267
    You have a car? If so check the spray valley by Canmore, Sawmill/ Chester Lake trails is a hiking/snowshoe/cross country area if you just want to get out and tramp around. Black Cirque for actual BC skiing but avy gear and knowledge needed. Lots of stuff up the Icefield Parkway, but again real BC.

  12. #337
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    I am curious as to which airport that you are flying to, Calgary or Kelowna. Calgary has a bigger airport (more flights?) but the drive is roughly twice the drive from Kelowna and with Calgary it also mean going thru the often closed Rogers Pass. BTW Revy is not in the Canadian Rockies but most who do not live in western Canada do not know that.
    Flying in/out of Kelowna. Renting car and driving to Revelstoke. I know it's not technically in the Canadian Rockies but noticed some other Revvy stoke in this thread so figured I'd post.

  13. #338
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for the tips!

    We do have a car, and I have avy gear but no one else in my family does so sticking to super mellow terrain. I'll look into the spray valley area, looks like there are some really nice trails down there.

    Is there anything else between Canmore and Lake Louise that would fit the bill?

  14. #339
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    Heading up to Banff for the first time during the winter tomorrow! Planning on spending two days at SSV and two days at LL, any suggestions for what to do on the other two days?
    Go to Kicking Horse!
    https://www.banfftours.com/activities/kicking-horse/

  15. #340
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    6
    Wow that looks epic! Not sure if it's in the cards for this trip, but safe to say I'll have to start planning another trip out there!

  16. #341
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,794
    I toured into Chester lake last Thursday with my son, there was 60 cm of new snow up by the lake, a nice mellow walk in the park
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  17. #342
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary/Golden
    Posts
    5,525
    Anyone looking for cheap replacement skis?

    Ive got a couple pairs to unload. 192 XXL, 192 Solly Rocker, and a 189 kore 117.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

    Kaz is my co-pilot

  18. #343
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I toured into Chester lake last Thursday with my son, there was 60 cm of new snow up by the lake, a nice mellow walk in the park
    Sounds like that might be the best move, thanks for the advice!

  19. #344
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Calgary it also mean going thru the often closed Rogers Pass.
    The highway west of Revelstoke closes quite frequently for both avalanches and accidents, if not quite as often as Rogers Pass. From the west there is the Highway 6/23 alternative but driving time to Kelowna is doubled - more if there are long lines for the ferries.

  20. #345
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Anyone looking for cheap replacement skis?

    I’ve got a couple pairs to unload. 192 XXL, 192 Solly Rocker, and a 189 kore 117.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Post on WTF and facebook banff buy/sell?


  21. #346
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    heart in terrace, ass in cowtown
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I toured into Chester lake last Thursday with my son, there was 60 cm of new snow up by the lake, a nice mellow walk in the park
    How long you around buddy? I'm heading down to castle for the winter starting jan 3. Love to show you around.

  22. #347
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,127
    20+ cm at both LL and SSV, = improved skiing. (but lots of people)

    had a fun morning skiing 9-11, home for lunch


  23. #348
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,794
    Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    How long you around buddy? I'm heading down to castle for the winter starting jan 3. Love to show you around.
    went to Oshawa for xmas, back to cow town on thursday and drove home on friday night
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  24. #349
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Creekside
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    Thanks for the tips!

    We do have a car, and I have avy gear but no one else in my family does so sticking to super mellow terrain. I'll look into the spray valley area, looks like there are some really nice trails down there.

    Is there anything else between Canmore and Lake Louise that would fit the bill?
    There are some cross country type trails by LL, but I believe they all stay on the valley bottom. There is the trail to Skoki Lodge that leaves from near LL. Spray Valley trails at least have options to climb into the alpine for possible views.

  25. #350
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Golden BC
    Posts
    3,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Anyone looking for cheap replacement skis?

    I’ve got a couple pairs to unload. 192 XXL, 192 Solly Rocker, and a 189 kore 117.
    how many days on XXLs and bindings ??
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •