Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    Last of my chain posts:

Doing a little Powder Highway circle tour starting Thursday. Meeting my brother and couch surfing Friday/Saturday in Rossland, then Sat nite, I am guessing here, to Nelson and hang at old friends place that night, ski Whitewater Sunday. Post ski, drive to Fernie, flop at friends place that night and ski with buddy Monday. May spend night there and drive to Castle Tuesday AM or drive to Castle Monday night and flop at a buddies place base of hill to ski Tuesday. Drive home post ski Tuesday to Cowtown. If buddy doesn’t respond at Castle for Tues, may look for ski bud that day if anyone around...

If anyone wants to meet for runs, lemme know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'll be around was considering a tour Tues, is that something you'd be into?
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

2018/2019 CANADIAN ROCKIES THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I'll be around was considering a tour Tues, is that something you'd be into?
    If looking at skiing Castle on Tuesday the 26th, I can likely do that. Waiting on reply from an old coworker as well that has a place at base of Castle, but groupski is good, methinks...

If a ski tour, I really only have fixed equipment, so not likely to be able to move far. Hike/slack at most.

Using Tapatalk

^^
    Ok, pm me or post up what you end up doing. If I tour it will be on touring gear, sort of leaning that way to give my ancient knees a break.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    Where dat?

Whirlpool Lake, Forster area.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Cause - IMHO lots of fresh snow on a wind slab, then more snow and wind. Can't control every inch of a ski area I say. More ammo for beeping inbounds. My beacon has been in my pants pocket the entire year and is on most days. Not that it's going to help me when I'm skiing solo or if my ski buddy doesn't also have a beacon (and shovel, probe...). On a happier note, ski quality was exquisite all day (boot to knee deep), even if the red didn't spin for 2 hours there was still lots to be had on the lower mountain.
    Cause was two Livingstone Ski Academy students hiked above the top of red. They were skiing terrain that anyone who has skied at Castle for any length of time is out of bounds. It wasn’t a case of a run open to the public sliding.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Northbound this week, MC field trip... kicking of Thursday and i think the order will be LL, SSV, TBD, KH, REVY, REVY. The only part we didn't do last year is the drive from Revy to Kelowna - we're making it a one-way westbound trip this time around, flying out of Kelowna. Seems pretty benign though?

Have been watching the temperatures and eating twice my normal ration of donuts to add insulation. Missed out on Delrium last year, so that's a goal, and hoping to actually see the Horse this time, since we rolled in late on a whiteout powder day last year and got frustrated with zero vis. If you see these safety-orange guys, go easy on us. We might be flyover jongs, but at least we're not from Texas.

Name:  notfromtexas.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  43.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Pass Rat View Post
    Cause was two Livingstone Ski Academy students hiked above the top of red. They were skiing terrain that anyone who has skied at Castle for any length of time is out of bounds. It wasn’t a case of a run open to the public sliding.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Wow. Thanks for that, hope they recieved suitable punishment.

Thinking about a trip to Castle next snowfall.... anyone have connections to 1 bedroom places to rent at the hill? that don't include lift tix as we get 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkletarte. View Post
    Thinking about a trip to Castle next snowfall.... anyone have connections to 1 bedroom places to rent at the hill? that don't include lift tix as we get 3 days.

Try the hostel. They have a few hotel type rooms as well as the hostel rooms. Don't need to buy lift tix with them.

Wow. Thanks for that, hope they recieved suitable punishment.
    No information on punishment. I would expect at least until the end of this season if not a one year ban. From what I understand the two people involved knew better than to do what they did and could've not only seriously injured themselves but also people and property. When the actual peak on Gravenstafel goes it tends to go rather large.

Is that a "closure" even though out of bounds? If it is above the ski shack you would think it is often controlled? Skied there a bunch just never paid attention to that before.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Is that a "closure" even though out of bounds? If it is above the ski shack you would think it is often controlled? Skied there a bunch just never paid attention to that before.
    I have always considered it to be a closure and it's always been explained to me that skiing above red is not allowed. I am not sure if it was in place on the day this incident occurred, however there is typically a sign right at the red offload that says no hiking above this point. In order to get above red you'd need to be breaking that.

In other news, has anyone red the Fortress master plan (https://www.dropbox.com/s/suhynduou3...opy.pdf?dl=0)? It seems to be rather optimistic considering the area in which Fortress exists with over 10 other resorts in the immediate area that have substantially more vertical. Interestingly the Master Plan is also from 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Pass Rat View Post
    In other news, has anyone red the Fortress master plan (https://www.dropbox.com/s/suhynduou3...opy.pdf?dl=0)? It seems to be rather optimistic considering the area in which Fortress exists with over 10 other resorts in the immediate area that have substantially more vertical. Interestingly the Master Plan is also from 2015.
    Go back to Page 22.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Go back to Page 22.
    what he said. also go back every 4 years or thereabouts

Quote Originally Posted by sparkletarte. View Post
    Be sure to drop me a line if you come. Snowforecast calling for 10 for Thurs. It's blowing a bit up high right now so probably filling things in nicely.

Vivian skiing the cat ski zone today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	down.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	270426

Name:	down-3.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	445.3 KB 
ID:	270427

Name:	down-4.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	270428

www.mymountaincoop.ca

I miss Castle...

Be sure to drop me a line if you come. Snowforecast calling for 10 for Thurs. It's blowing a bit up high right now so probably filling things in nicely.
    I will for sure! Can t make it over that soon more likely in March.
    How applicable is the is ec pincher creek forecast?
    I.ll only be inbounds unless i find a split to borrow.

Quick question: what's SSV usually like in the spring (early May-ish)? Good spring skiing all over? Or getting to be pretty melted out and restricted to less interesting terrain?

The question could be phrased as is any of SSV terrain interesting ( other than the Dive) ??
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Quick question: what's SSV usually like in the spring (early May-ish)? Good spring skiing all over? Or getting to be pretty melted out and restricted to less interesting terrain?
    Haven't skied SSV in May in a while, but LL tends to be nearly wide open until closing. High elevation snowpack is typically gaining into June. It rarely goes above freezing for more than a few hours up high in April/May. In my experience, 'winter' conditions are more likely than spring slush (except at the bottom or south facing stuff in the afternoon).

I think SSV sometimes starts closing down some lifts and terrain (Goatseye), but it has more to do with an empty hill than snow conditions.

I love SSV in early May. Usually everything is still open. Maybe goats eye will need some good dumps this year though.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I've had some of the better resort pow laps of my life in early May in the Dive. Even if you don't luck out with snow there should be good skiing all over.

Nice. Gonna have to hit that up. Thinking I can work a long weekend of skiing at SSV, and maybe some biking in Invermere along the way.

Coming out to ski SSV March 4-8 with my wife. Any mags willing to meet up and show us around at SSV and the Dive for a few laps? We're both expert skiers used to lapping off the Ridge at Bridger as a point of reference and we will have our trancievers/probe/shovel. Just looking for a quick lay of the land and meet/ ski with some good people for some laps. Happy to provide lunch/dinner, beers.