Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan11 View Post
    Headed up north this weekend for a long overdue trip to the Canadian Rockies. Gotta place in Golden reserved but wondering if anyone had any recommendations of where to ski this weekend. I was planning on Kicking Horse but don't know if there would be better stashes elsewhere...... Any thoughts from the locals?
    This is the busiest weekend of the year for Kicking Horse. Be prepared to wait in line for 45min+ (okay maybe an hour on Saturday) at the gondy for okay snow that someone has most likely already hit; we haven't had much fresh for over a week. Slackcountry has been decent, but each day you seem to have to poke around a bit more or push further to find the good stuff. You would be better off finding some good backcountry stashes to ride that are away from Rogers Pass if you are looking for great skiing. With all that said, the vibe at the hill should be fun with all the people, sunshine, and decent temps.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshowers View Post
    This is the busiest weekend of the year for Kicking Horse. Be prepared to wait in line for 45min+ (okay maybe an hour on Saturday) at the gondy for okay snow that someone has most likely already hit; we haven't had much fresh for over a week. Slackcountry has been decent, but each day you seem to have to poke around a bit more or push further to find the good stuff. You would be better off finding some good backcountry stashes to ride that are away from Rogers Pass if you are looking for great skiing. With all that said, the vibe at the hill should be fun with all the people, sunshine, and decent temps.
    That or ski Lake Louise. The layout of the mountain is better at spreading out the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    That or ski Lake Louise. The layout of the mountain is better at spreading out the crowds.
    I might have to check out the Lake or Revy if you think its gonna be hours of line waiting..... Im not to much into crowds.... well i should say that I like a mountain that can disperse pretty well.
    Where to go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan11 View Post
    I might have to check out the Lake or Revy if you think its gonna be hours of line waiting..... Im not to much into crowds.... well i should say that I like a mountain that can disperse pretty well.
    Bc and alberta family day weekend combined. There will be lines everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

odds are banff will have less lines then castle, reve, KH, I think. Just due to more lifts and less bottlenecks.

Kimberly (casuse fun town adn terrain) and rossland (6 hours from anywhere, but bigger terrain and lifts) and pano (limited people ski off the groomed runs) might be good other picks too

Got out before the masses arrive this weekend. Nice inversion made for a great day

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Since this thread seems to be yearning for some stoke, here's my .02

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190214_130938.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	503.1 KB 
ID:	269776

Name:	20190214_131054.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	269777

Name:	20141231_173747.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	696.8 KB 
ID:	269778

Name:	20141231_173733.jpg 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	269781

Name:	20141231_181859.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	269779

P.S. Sorry for the sideways Android pics...

Quote Originally Posted by Alkares View Post
    Since this thread seems to be yearning for some stoke, here's my .02

Name:	20190214_130938.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	503.1 KB 
ID:	269776

Name:	20190214_131054.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	269777

Name:	20141231_173747.jpg 
Size:	696.8 KB 
ID:	269778

Name:	20141231_173733.jpg 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	269781

Name:	20141231_181859.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	269779

P.S. Sorry for the sideways Android pics...
    Cool pics.

Most android phones allow you to rotate the pics in the gallery viewer.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Heard red chair is down at castle... any information on what’s happening there?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Stewy30 View Post
    Heard red chair is down at castle... any information on what’s happening there?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    They had an avy at the top of the chair that buried the cat track. Had to bring the dog in, do some probing and get a cat up there to remediate. Just let off a bomb, hoping the red spins soon.

edit, started spinning the red at 2:15 all good.
    Last edited by garyfromterrace; 02-15-2019 at 04:17 PM.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Yikes. Glad nobody was injured.

Couple in bounds burials in the U.S., now this ^^^. It's the year of the in bounds avalanche apparently. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Couple in bounds burials in the U.S., now this ^^^. It's the year of the in bounds avalanche apparently. What gives?
    The snow...on weakly bonded layers.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Where did it happen, Gary?

Do you have a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Where did it happen, Gary?

Do you have a pic?

Nope, could get something tomorrow. Location was right at the top of the red chair, on the cat track in front of the patrol hut. Patrol couldn't have been in a better location to initiate a rescue.

Cause - IMHO lots of fresh snow on a wind slab, then more snow and wind. Can't control every inch of a ski area I say. More ammo for beeping inbounds. My beacon has been in my pants pocket the entire year and is on most days. Not that it's going to help me when I'm skiing solo or if my ski buddy doesn't also have a beacon (and shovel, probe...). On a happier note, ski quality was exquisite all day (boot to knee deep), even if the red didn't spin for 2 hours there was still lots to be had on the lower mountain.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

I kind of guessed it would be there. I'm actually surprised that doesn't slide more with all the wind loading at castle and the cat track cutting out the bottom of that slope. That peak above the cat track to the north has slid both times I've been there this year and it's on a similar aspect.

The above is not a judgement or assignment of blame... Shit happens sometimes. Just an observation.

But yeah, patrol shack is super close, which is awesome in this case.

Also, good point about beacons inbounds. I didn't have mine on Wednesday and probably should have. Patrol always has beacons so I think having one on you while solo is totally useful in a resort situation.

Didn’t that slide a bunch of years ago and crush the lift shack?

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    That's what I was looking for. That is pretty steep for passes for the family. I was assuming that there would be a family pass like exist at most other Rocky Mountain resorts. I will pass this on. Thanks.
    Website likely updated late March or April.

I went up the lift with some families from Calgary today and I think Panodudes comments are spot on. One family of 4 for Family Day weekend was $900 for lift ticket for three or four days. That seems a lot for me. But, and this is an issue for condo owners in the rental pool, their revenue tends to get discounted to support the pass price. Then the condo owner pays 50% away to the rental pool of any revenue for maintenance, etc. Both sides getting worked over.

I suggested the ski card as an alternative, but the family I was going up with said there were blackout dates ( this weekend among them). I bought my wife a 5 day card, and I am sure there weren’t black outs, but will re-check. The advantage of the Pano cards was no black outs, and your first 3 or 5 days were paid for with discounts for additional days. But, you have to buy the card before Dec 31 for that season.

Math is important. If your friends have a place on the hill, the annual pass may make sense. If it is for something under 10 days, the early Ski Cards may make more sense. I usually ski out my pass by end of XMas holidays and then I am on company time (typically 25-30 days/yr). 8-10 days pays out a pass (vs day rate full).

I get the rate comparison to Fairmont, but Fairmont isn’t half the mountain Pano is, so $500 makes sense there. Our kids were in the B.A.R. Quickies program at Norquay for years, and the pass there is similarly cheap. Way below SSV and LL, but for a reason. But for families with little kids, the hills are more than adequate. But when the kids are stronger skiers and are good on “double blacks” the fun factor goes up at a Pano. Especially if Mom prefers blues, but the kids are keen on more as teenagers, etc. I still maintain, with the new terrain opened up, glading, lift access and grooming, Panorama is the best family ski resort in the Rockies/Kootenays.

Happy to chat the pros and cons with your friends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Got out before the masses arrive this weekend. Nice inversion made for a great day

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Where dat?

Using Tapatalk

Last of my chain posts:

Doing a little Powder Highway circle tour starting Thursday. Meeting my brother and couch surfing Friday/Saturday in Rossland, then Sat nite, I am guessing here, to Nelson and hang at old friends place that night, ski Whitewater Sunday. Post ski, drive to Fernie, flop at friends place that night and ski with buddy Monday. May spend night there and drive to Castle Tuesday AM or drive to Castle Monday night and flop at a buddies place base of hill to ski Tuesday. Drive home post ski Tuesday to Cowtown. If buddy doesn’t respond at Castle for Tues, may look for ski bud that day if anyone around...

If anyone wants to meet for runs, lemme know.

Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    Last of my chain posts:

Doing a little Powder Highway circle tour starting Thursday. Meeting my brother and couch surfing Friday/Saturday in Rossland, then Sat nite, I am guessing here, to Nelson and hang at old friends place that night, ski Whitewater Sunday. Post ski, drive to Fernie, flop at friends place that night and ski with buddy Monday. May spend night there and drive to Castle Tuesday AM or drive to Castle Monday night and flop at a buddies place base of hill to ski Tuesday. Drive home post ski Tuesday to Cowtown. If buddy doesn’t respond at Castle for Tues, may look for ski bud that day if anyone around...

If anyone wants to meet for runs, lemme know.

Good work.

Taking the time to take the time makes you better for when it's the right time to stop taking the time.

Glad you're getting days.

Fucking love Rossland. Spent a lot of time there and in Nelson BITD.

Post a TR, I need to live vicariously...although I should be doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Good work.

Taking the time to take the time makes you better for when it's the right time to stop taking the time.

Glad you're getting days.

Fucking love Rossland. Spent a lot of time there and in Nelson BITD.

Post a TR, I need to live vicariously...although I should be doing the same thing.
    TR will be forthcoming. I am not one of the radical one...57 yrs old. But will throw up the stoke as able...

Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    TR will be forthcoming. I am not one of the radical one...57 yrs old. But will throw up the stoke as able...

57 years young...stoke is stoke...one of the first lessons I learned here BITD.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    57 years young...stoke is stoke...one of the first lessons I learned here BITD.
    ^^^ this.