Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thinking about heading to Lake Louise in a couple weeks to watch men's world cup. Never been to one of those events before - can we just ski up to the side of the course and watch from wherever? The website says we can watch at the finish for free, but doesn't really say anything about being up on the slope.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Thinking about heading to Lake Louise in a couple weeks to watch men's world cup. Never been to one of those events before - can we just ski up to the side of the course and watch from wherever? The website says we can watch at the finish for free, but doesn't really say anything about being up on the slope.
    Yeah there are many places to watch from. Ski to wherever and watch. It's not as big of deal as Europe by any means but it is fun and worth going. Parking lot usually fills early but people aren't skiing. It's s good time and would be sweet if banff /canmore had big screens in town and shuttles for the event to try and make it more fun.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Yeah there are many places to watch from. Ski to wherever and watch. It's not as big of deal as Europe by any means but it is fun and worth going. Parking lot usually fills early but people aren't skiing. It's s good time and would be sweet if banff /canmore had big screens in town and shuttles for the event to try and make it more fun.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Hopefully some snow rolls in so there's more than just wrod open too!

D
    The website says we can watch at the finish for free, but doesn't really say anything about being up on the slope.
    Yes, this just means if someone doesn’t want to buy a lift ticket they can walk to the finish area and watch. As Crashidy said if you’re skiing you can cut over to view from lots of places.

Had a buddy go watch his nephew ski at some WCs in Europe last winter and they had to pay big bucks to stand and watch along the course.

The longest continuous view, if memory serves, is close to the start section. Take the Top of the World chair and ski off to the skiers right side. The ridge will take you right down to the course and you get a full view of the start hut down to where the course enters the tree line. The sound the skiers make as they go past is something else. Get there early for close proximity parking. It packs up fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

take a free shuttle bus from banff. Nap on the way out, get dropped of right in front of the lodge. have a beer (or more) then take shuttle back to your hotel front door.

no need to have a car, pay for gas, or a parks pass etc.

I volunteer some years as course slip (best job because I get to ski the course) and may volunteer again this year. I wouldn't say any part is too exciting. Can't believe I can't find a course map but here's Manny skiing it. The start is ok, straight, steep, and fast. Then (0:28-0:34) where public crosses to get to the Poma-lift is the fastest section of the course. Fallaway (0:54-1:16) would be cool but public can't see that part.

https://www.facebook.com/AlpineCanad...5922767971563/

At least the backside will probably be skiing well.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I volunteer some years as course slip (best job because I get to ski the course) and may volunteer again this year. I wouldn't say any part is too exciting. Can't believe I can't find a course map but here's Manny skiing it. The start is ok, straight, steep, and fast. Then (0:28-0:34) where public crosses to get to the Poma-lift is the fastest section of the course. Fallaway (0:54-1:16) would be cool but public can't see that part.

https://www.facebook.com/AlpineCanad...5922767971563/

At least the backside will probably be skiing well.
    Nice. Yeah, the section around 1:00 looks like it'd be the most interesting to watch. To bad it's hard to get there. Either way, should be fun to check out the whole spectacle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6587 2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	255045

Name:	IMG_6590.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1,012.7 KB 
ID:	255046

Name:	IMG_6596 2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1,015.5 KB 
ID:	255047

Ice skating on Johnson lake

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post

Name:	IMG_6587 2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	255045

Name:	IMG_6590.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1,012.7 KB 
ID:	255046

Name:	IMG_6596 2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1,015.5 KB 
ID:	255047

Ice skating on Johnson lake
    No hockey stick? Somebody check this guys passport.

So much grace, he doesn't need a stick

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    dual citizen CND and USA

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    What?!?

Guy?

I thought that was skibee.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    What?!?

Guy?

I thought that was skibee.
    Probably forgot the Rider’s jersey... I’ll echo that the World Cup is great to watch at LL. Can get close and can also bang a few decent laps

video of skating

(does this work)

https://www.facebook.com/dave.willia...type=3&theater

The Facebook?

Never heard of it.

It is like MySpace or Friendster?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Pano snowmakers are getting after it with night temps at -10. Show off Went from grass last Monday to race training and Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Any Trip reports from the Wiwaxy 500 turn out this weekend?

I wasn't there but apparently SSV parking was full on Saturday..louise sounded icy.
    Last edited by crashidy; 11-12-2018 at 12:59 PM.

I wasn't there but apparently SSV parking was full on Saturday..louise sounded icy.
    Louise was pretty firm and slick on Friday afternoon. The opening weekend crowds took their toll on Sunshine's coverage as is usually the case - lots of exposed rocks on bottom half of the Wawa runs especially but coverage still pretty good on Strawberry, Jack and Wolverine. The weekend was busy but Angel and Divide opened today so that'll help disperse the lift lines a bunch. Norquay is pretty firm with just the one run under cascade open. We could do with a bit more snow but it's nice to be sliding around the local resorts again.

Nakiska is also open, with race training in the morning. They're making snow at the bottom, but you still need to download.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

SSV opened upper mnt with Angle and Divide today, was nice. All lifts but 3 are open, so off to a very good start.
    I think LL is still just WROD?

and skating is still amazing.

Skied Louise on Friday. Conditions were not really icy, but there was a touch of fresh. That might have helped. The 500 was uncomfortably busy most of the day, but alright during lunch hour and after 2:30.

Nakiska on Sunday was better. Mapmaker was crowded and icy, but the glades were fun for a few hours. Up/down load on Olympic...carrying skis. I don't know why they don't put a plastic carpet down so you can ride with skis on your feet.

93North was great in the sun. Busy-ish on Observation subpeak and the Puzzle Peak Ramp, but still lots of room for turns.

SSV sounds like it is doing a bit better right now.

SSV sounds like it is doing a bit better right now.
    Divide was skiing beautifully today.