Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Big dump at Panorama yesterday, over 20cms in the village, turned to rain by 4pm.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pass Rat View Post

Those are the glades. Generally open when the cat isn't running and when they're not trying to conserve the product for paying cat skiers which means Sunday and Monday are days it's normally open. It's all pretty mellow with a super easy skin up a cat track and a super easy ski all the way out with minimal skating involved.

Off the other side of the ridge from these runs are some chutes ranging from steep to scary AF.
    Wow that looks pretty fkn sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Big dump at Panorama yesterday, over 20cms in the village, turned to rain by 4pm.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    How high up did that go?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SSV today:

20-30, but silly high winds, Did 4 laps on GE and came home.

upper 1/3 was wind scraped and ground storm so no vis
    lower 2/3 was VERY nice.

sounds like jasper and LL also got some

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    SSV today:

20-30, but silly high winds, Did 4 laps on GE and came home.

upper 1/3 was wind scraped and ground storm so no vis
    lower 2/3 was VERY nice.

sounds like jasper and LL also got some
    With all the wind today it reminded me a little of castle.

Things were filling in towards the end of the day.

Good day... Good day.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

The Lake was good today. 17cm overnight and temps were around -5°C. Was windy but mostly sunny through out the day

The wind messed up the snow in the front side (Outer Limits, trees off Olympic hut, etc) but the backside was great. Delayed opening of Summit and Paradise as they weren’t sure of avy conditions with the new snow on top of wind crust but when it opened, it was great. Got third or fourth tracks down through Paradise Cornice and the snow was sweet.

Drive home was a bit of gong show. Low vis due to snow and blowing snow but that’s why we bailed a little early to beat the crowds (and there were a lot today).
    Last edited by Treycal; 02-02-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    I'll be at the Pano demo with Blizzard tomorrow if any mags are about and want to try skis/say hi.
    FCK, missed this. Headed up a crack of 9.Would have loved to have tried some product and met someone from the board. Though I spent most of the time at summit with one run thru Todds Playground down to the powder covered bumps on downhill. View was sweet down to MacIntosh as well. Bottom 600’ of the hill was eastern blue ice and no fun.

The spent a lot of money here on explosives today. Had to blow in Founders to protect the ski outs, Decks Cross and Messerlies I heard. Didn’t open the Zone until 1045. Anything Taynton side closed all day. Hopefully open tomorrow, the cold should keep the less rabid off the hill. <ya try to hit it early the head home in time for second half of Super Bowl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Toured last couple days sidecountry at Revy and the snow in the trees was goood. Got real good today, should stay good for a while with these cold temps too. Above the treeline was a bit wind crusty but not awful

Man I'm just a day late for everything. Skunked at LL though vis was great. Skipped KH altogether, and missed the fresh at Revy by a day, but conditions there were better than I had anticipated.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Supposedly 120kph winds overnight at Louise as reported by patrol but today skied excellent on the back while the front was wind scoured in spots and good in others. Huge temperature change too as it was about -5C upon arrival in the morning, up high and Paradise stayed relatively warmer all day while the base cooled down to -15C by 4pm.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    I'm interested in the condition of Sunshine as well... we're coming out for a weeks stay beginning March and am getting curious regarding terrain and snowpack there from local eyes. Going to the local showing of the Banff Mountain Film Festival tour tonight to feed the stoke. Thanks
    Sunshine conditions are pretty much average I would say, maybe even a little below. Seems like they've been getting really wind hammered in a negative way all season with the warmer temps to the West. It could be a whole different story in 4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Supposedly 120kph winds overnight at Louise as reported by patrol but today skied excellent on the back while the front was wind scoured in spots and good in others. Huge temperature change too as it was about -5C upon arrival in the morning, up high and Paradise stayed relatively warmer all day while the base cooled down to -15C by 4pm.

Sunshine conditions are pretty much average I would say, maybe even a little below. Seems like they've been getting really wind hammered in a negative way all season with the warmer temps to the West. It could be a whole different story in 4 weeks.
    Was at Sunshine on the 18th. Not impressed, but I seldom am impressed with that hill. Just not a fan.

Using Tapatalk

We found 30 cm of fresh and an unplowed road this morning up 93 N. Lots of parties at Pulpit and Crowfoor glades but very light traffic elsewhere. Best BC day this season with fine temperatures all day gradually becoming cooler. Road is plowed and in good shape now (as of 4 pm). Driving the Bow Corridor, the wind was nuking from Lake Louise to Canmore with lousy visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    We found 30 cm of fresh and an unplowed road this morning up 93 N. Lots of parties at Pulpit and Crowfoor glades but very light traffic elsewhere. Best BC day this season with fine temperatures all day gradually becoming cooler. Road is plowed and in good shape now (as of 4 pm). Driving the Bow Corridor, the wind was nuking from Lake Louise to Canmore with lousy visibility.
    Any wind up there? It was howling something fierce at sunshine.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

We just poked above treeline but it wind was generally light all day. The blasting winds became evident as we approached Lake Louise and the temperature dropped.

at noon, sunday, from ski big 3 facebook:

Be sure to bundle up for skiing today!

Mt. Norquay Banff - Mystic Chair is closed, anticipated to open at noon. All other lifts are running.

The Lake Louise Ski Resort & Summer Gondola is currently only operating Glacier Chair, Gondola and the carpets for the time being due to cold weather.

Please note that Banff Sunshine Village has a delayed opening. Lift and gondola status can be checked at skibanff.com/conditions

Pano Taynton great today in many areas. Got to summit and they hadn’t opened Taynton yet, so did a lap down White Room. Rope dropped while I was on the run. Went straight into C-Spine which had maybe 10-15 sets of tracks,loads of fresh lines.

Got a text from a buddy who went up Monster. Said to stay away, wind blown, slabbed, ugly. I did a run down White Tail, the top of which was literally untouched and fantastic. Veered right at the next plateau and that was a mistake. Started running into wind slab, crust and crust under the surface powder. Not great. Had a bit of an awkward fall and took a while to get righted again. That set off the back, so packing up car and heading home, hoping to get second half of Super Bowl. Stay skiers left of White Tail if going in, that is the best snow.....

Using Tapatalk

Marmot didn't open today, too cold. There is 40ish cms of unskied snow waiting on the Knob whenever they open it up. Knob, Eagles East and Tres Hombres didn't open yesterday so that snow has been sitting waiting since Saturday.

damn: we had 2 nights of hotel bookings in jasper, but cancelled due to 93N closed for 2 days. Hanging out in banff, with a warm fire, but skiing fresh in jasper would have been fun

The Parkway is still closed until, hopefully, tomorrow.

2018/2019 CANADIAN ROCKIES THREAD

Shit!!! 3 dead in train derailment into the Kicking Horse River at Field.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-tsb-1.5004622

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Shit!!! 3 dead in train derailment into the Kicking Horse River at Field.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-tsb-1.5004622

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just heard that. My good buddy was on a train to field. He’s ok. It’s on the field to Calgary route. CP maintenance and upkeep is a disgrace. It’s all about cut cut cut to get stockholder shares up. No investment and govt treats them with kid gloves. Like the highway , all routes should’ve been doubled in capacity 20years ago and have required specs. By the time that happens it will be overdue for another doubling. Part of the reason we have so much semi traffic and wrecks on the highway

Jesus that's horrible.

Its a freight train...it looks like a mangled pile of toys.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

^^
    Sad to hear about the rail crash up there. I've a buddy and his wife work on the trains for CN out of Jasper though they occasionally contract for CP. Glad the train wasn't hauling oil.

Castle update. Pretty nippy out there all right. Today there was more patrol than skiers. They spun the Tbar, blue and huck. Did 7 runs today which is 5 more than yesterday. Lot's of pow out there when they do spin the red.

Got some photos from first 3 days ago, then 2 days ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn View Post
    Thanks for the turns today. But I’m now disappointed you didn’t wear this outfit ...
    Hey no problem, great to ski with you and your ripper spawn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	down.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	268153

Name:	down-2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	573.1 KB 
ID:	268154

That's little mini magette Issy. The little rocket was on my ass all morning, good training there Merlyn your daughter's a great little skier and an awesome kid.

Name:	down-3.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	350.1 KB 
ID:	268156

Merlyn in action. Cool to ski with another mag up here. That's 2 in a week.

Name:	down-5.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	688.5 KB 
ID:	268157

Name:	down-6.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	268158

Name:	down-8.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	268160

Conditions Saturday were very good. Vivian was having fun on her new sticks.

Name:	down-7.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	268159

Yeah, it blows here a bit. Deep freeze supposed to relent a little bit, and some snow in the forecast later in the week.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Doesn’t look like you need snow. I don’t see any turns crossed G. Looks sweet

Don't suppose anyone has skied McGill's in the last few days? Wondering if it's worth the tour tomorrow.