Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
Results 801 to 825 of 828
  1. #801
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    8,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Did you know that the IKON gets you free admission to the Banff Hotsprings?

    Honestly, I'm not sure how many people are willing to fly to Calgary to ski. It's perfect for dirtbaging. So perfectly Canandian. We really felt like foreigners which was great.
    Radium hot springs is nice. Banff hot springs source has just been a trickle for years. Mostly municipal water mixed with bus tour urine sample. Source should be running now with spring melt but it comes out of the mountain cold and is then heated. If you're pass is good for radium hot springs , it's a worthwhile side route especially if the super hot mini pool is running. In Banff, the steam room/ hot tub at the Sally B is great for pounding down a few nalgene bottles of water after skiing

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  2. #802
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    invermere
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Didn't get blue bird, but it was deep sledding. Got one 30 min window to pop on top. Did some lower lines though

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Nice,was a good one yesterday too.


    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  3. #803
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    610
    Headed back up there Thursday to Sunday. At dw. Swing by if you are around. I'm guessing parking will still be around 33ish?

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

  4. #804
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    invermere
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Headed back up there Thursday to Sunday. At dw. Swing by if you are around. I'm guessing parking will still be around 33ish?

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    I might do that, looks like another storm coming in Friday.
    Parking at 33 but won't be long before moving higher, the issue will be the 35km hill. After that it's easy to get to Welsh lake

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  5. #805
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    <snip>
    Honestly, I'm not sure how many people are willing to fly to Calgary to ski.
    Probably not many.

    Wife and I are *strongly* considering a trip there next spring. Drove up last summer, and to be honest, I fell in love with the Canadian Rockies. They're incredible mountains...

  6. #806
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    520
    How are the some of the classic lines around town looking? We again have had 0 spring here on the coast, so looking to come out for a week. How is there coverage on things like 3/4, Aemmer, Grand daddy in general? We have had a very lean year and most of the big north faces aren't in.
    Forecast is calling for what looks like a full on winter storm the next week which should give a great reset.

  7. #807
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,056
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    How are the some of the classic lines around town looking? We again have had 0 spring here on the coast, so looking to come out for a week. How is there coverage on things like 3/4, Aemmer, Grand daddy in general? We have had a very lean year and most of the big north faces aren't in.
    Forecast is calling for what looks like a full on winter storm the next week which should give a great reset.
    steep season is just starting (moraine lake road doesn't open until end of may)

    all ayou talked about re in good shape.


  8. #808
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    steep season is just starting (moraine lake road doesn't open until end of may)

    all ayou talked about re in good shape.
    Great, thanks for the heads up!

  9. #809
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,056
    7cm overnight at the lake. I assume all of 7 people on the whole mnt.


  10. #810
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    520
    Can anyone out there speak to about the PWL listed on the Avalanche.ca forecast? Looking at coming out from the coast, but PWL's are not something we experience often here and they freak me the fuck out. I know most of the lines we are looking at are climb up and ski back down the same line, so spending ample time on the face prior to skiing.
    Any other tips for some out of towners? I hear early early starts (4am) are the norm for these kind of lines?

    Thanks.
    Andy

  11. #811
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    north by northwest
    Posts
    9,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Lame pic I know, but it was a sight to behold for me. I skied Louise as a kid and it was my favourite resort as a ski obsessed kid.

    Attachment 275045
    this is not a lame pic at all. i remember sitting at the same chairlift close to 10 years ago, watching a group of 10-15 kids bomb down those slopes with Gripen behind them as their coach. It was a great sight...

  12. #812
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    8,022
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Can anyone out there speak to about the PWL listed on the Avalanche.ca forecast? Looking at coming out from the coast, but PWL's are not something we experience often here and they freak me the fuck out. I know most of the lines we are looking at are climb up and ski back down the same line, so spending ample time on the face prior to skiing.
    Any other tips for some out of towners? I hear early early starts (4am) are the norm for these kind of lines?

    Thanks.
    Andy
    Obviously it's much colder there. Early starts and northface(aemmer, 3/4 etc) gives a lot more time than the coast. I'm still adjusting to the interior being in the Rockies so long. It's like someone flips the switch here and it's over. You get good overnight freezes on that high stuff on the parkway, lake louise quite often into June. Longer healing late season cycle for those PWL's . You'll be able to tell as you climb those north faces and you'll probably be more concerned with overhead hazards from the sun on cornices above you or rock fall. Definitely more reason to wear a helmet there, aemmers for one can be a shooting gallery. There's a million and a half great lines just surrounding the village(louise)and moraine lake road when it opens that will allow good planning no bushwacking and efficient approaches with early starts.

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  13. #813
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,056
    10 more at the lake for closing day.

    I really want to ride my bike, and be warm,


  14. #814
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    At the North end of the Parkway
    Posts
    1,526
    We got 5. Still cold and grey but we will make the most of it.

  15. #815
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,884
    Weibo, do you live in Jasper? I was there for just a brief time but that seemed like a real time with real people. What do you do to may the bills? How is Marmot Basin?

    Keep the Rockies stoke coming. I need to research this Moraine Lake Road and the lines you referenced.

  16. #816
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Obviously it's much colder there. Early starts and northface(aemmer, 3/4 etc) gives a lot more time than the coast. I'm still adjusting to the interior being in the Rockies so long. It's like someone flips the switch here and it's over. You get good overnight freezes on that high stuff on the parkway, lake louise quite often into June. Longer healing late season cycle for those PWL's . You'll be able to tell as you climb those north faces and you'll probably be more concerned with overhead hazards from the sun on cornices above you or rock fall. Definitely more reason to wear a helmet there, aemmers for one can be a shooting gallery. There's a million and a half great lines just surrounding the village(louise)and moraine lake road when it opens that will allow good planning no bushwacking and efficient approaches with early starts.

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Thanks man. This is what I was hoping for.

  17. #817
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    8,022
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Thanks man. This is what I was hoping for.
    Happy hunting. Be great to see ya get some things. I can relive the splendor vicariously thru yo pics. It's like summer in revy today. Looks like we'll be sunny and in the 20's all week so could be some good overnight freezes east of the divide

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  18. #818
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    At the North end of the Parkway
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Weibo, do you live in Jasper? I was there for just a brief time but that seemed like a real time with real people. What do you do to may the bills? How is Marmot Basin?

    Keep the Rockies stoke coming. I need to research this Moraine Lake Road and the lines you referenced.
    It's a fairly real town but with a big summer tourist season. There are two major employers, CN and Parks. The town has been a CN divisional point for a long time and really that's what the town was built on. Lots of jobs working the rails. I work for Parks, it seems to pay the bills. Beyond those two there are you regular gigs for trades people etc and a ton of service jobs in the summer.

    Just down from the hill and the skiing is better than February, the only things closed are Charlie's Bowl and T-Bar ridge, Charlies slide to ground a while ago and the access to T-Bar is through Charlie's. Snowed on and off all day. Fun day up and too bad it's over.
    Move along nothing to see here.

  19. #819
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    heart in terrace, ass in cowtown
    Posts
    3,045
    Hitting Sunshine tomorrow if anyone's around. Heard the dive is still skiing pretty well.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

    www.mymountaincoop.ca

    This is OUR mountain - come join us!

  20. #820
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Weibo, do you live in Jasper? I was there for just a brief time but that seemed like a real time with real people. What do you do to may the bills? .
    I asked a train driver buddy why he left Jasper and moved west back in the day

    said he didn't think it was a good place to raise kids
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  21. #821
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Deadmonton, AB
    Posts
    119
    Anyone get out to SSV today? Any rain? I'm debating whether to get a couple last days in this week. I enjoy a little slush, but a rain crust would not be fun. Looks like it's going to cool down a bit in a few days.

  22. #822
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by himavan View Post
    Anyone get out to SSV today? Any rain? I'm debating whether to get a couple last days in this week. I enjoy a little slush, but a rain crust would not be fun. Looks like it's going to cool down a bit in a few days.
    I've skied sunshine the last few days. Last good freeze was Friday night. Everything off the groomers was sticky mush but groomers were skiing very well and were lots of fun! Best skiing is from 8:50 to 230 but if your willing to deal with short sticky patches goats eye and divide, angel, teepee town skied well right to 430. Weather looks good for wednesday. Avoid wawa and standish after lunch. Slackcountry was unskiable. A few bald patchs on goats eye so take it easy until you figure out were they are. Check webcams in the morning....

  23. #823
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Deadmonton, AB
    Posts
    119
    Cool. Thanks for the beta! I'll probably head down to rip some groomers and do some park laps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Northskiwards View Post
    I've skied sunshine the last few days. Last good freeze was Friday night. Everything off the groomers was sticky mush but groomers were skiing very well and were lots of fun! Best skiing is from 8:50 to 230 but if your willing to deal with short sticky patches goats eye and divide, angel, teepee town skied well right to 430. Weather looks good for wednesday. Avoid wawa and standish after lunch. Slackcountry was unskiable. A few bald patchs on goats eye so take it easy until you figure out were they are. Check webcams in the morning....

  24. #824
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Canadian Rockies
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I asked a train driver buddy why he left Jasper and moved west back in the day

    said he didn't think it was a good place to raise kids
    ummm... What? Seems odd

  25. #825
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Golden, BC
    Posts
    696
    Name:  59320173_2206639729646505_4273993742332985344_n.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  124.0 KB For those who are interested and may be able to attend. RIP Dave.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •