Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    I say drive to Jackson.from there watch the snow and weather. 8 hour drive to fernie, 12 to banff, 15 to revy. Lots of options in between if the weather sucks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Flying to Calgary in order to get to Revy means having to go thru Rogers Pass which averages 60 closures annually, most of them in winter and spring. Flying to Kelowna (then 2.5hour drive to Revy) or Vancouver (then 8 hour drive to Revy) avoids Rogers Pass.

OTOH the 6 hour drive Calgary to Revy takes you past Sunshine Village, Lake Louise, and Kicking Horse. The Flight to Kelowna and short drive takes you out of the way a short distance to Big White and Silver Star. The drive from Vancouver to Revy takes you a short detour away from Sun Peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Kicking Horse opened today.

Reports?

Sounds like you have to download from Catamount.

#hoofhearted
    No you didn't have to download from the mid station. They had signs recommending but you really didn't . Seen the bottom 3rd way worse.

Middle 3rd nothing is open other the cat track. No showoff etc. Top there are rocks not usually seen. CPR ridge is closed. Can get down Bowl over but just from very top. Some parts of Fuez are open but didn't try it.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    No you didn't have to download from the mid station. They had signs recommending but you really didn't . Seen the bottom 3rd way worse.

Middle 3rd nothing is open other the cat track. No showoff etc. Top there are rocks not usually seen. CPR ridge is closed. Can get down Bowl over but just from very top. Some parts of Fuez are open but didn't try it.
    Thanks.

Given the lack of storms so far this season I figured it would be pretty boney up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

strange start to the year that Pano is doing better than KH.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    strange start to the year that Pano is doing better than KH.
    The inverse donut effect.

The inverse donut effect.
    the jelly effect?

the jelly effect?
    Well I'm super jelly of the people who get to ski it, ... so yah. Probably.

Well I'm super jelly of the people who get to ski it, ... so yah. Probably.
    More jelly:
    Whistler lists 23 of 240 runs open, Sun Peaks has 105 of 137 runs open.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    More jelly:
    but its whistler, so its ALWAYS the best. Just ask ANYONE

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    More jelly:
    How’s conditions at SP? Soft packed groomers? Any pow left?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    How’s conditions at SP? Soft packed groomers? Any pow left?
    Last Monday was High 5 Day. $5 cash and a food donation for the Kamloops Food Bank gets you a lift ticket. All kinds of one day a year skiers and boarders show up with their $20 Value Village equipment. All the high schools in Kamloops close for the day because no one shows up. All the ski shops' cheap standard rentals get rented out Among the locals it is known as Body Pack the Hill Day. It is the busiest day of the season for the Ski Patrol.

The upper Burfield chair opened today. I didn't go because my dog was sick (seems ok now). So yeah I would say that the pow is mostly skied off. Several runs like Cariboo, Bluff, Sting, Broadway have not been groomed but have a skier/boarder built base. Even the rock band on the Big Headwall is mostly covered.

No new snow, but more terrain opened at Fernie. Knott Chutes, Surprise Trees, and Anaconda. Also, all lifts with the exception of Polar are running now too. The forecast looks promising, hopefully the Fernie factor kicks in and we get a lot of snow this week.

After 20 day drought the taps opened in Jasper!!!!

99cm short of a metre.

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    After 20 day drought the taps opened in Jasper!!!!

99cm short of a metre.

lol

best day of the year!!!

lol

best day ever!!!
    FIFY
    haha
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Monday evening and just spent three days with rotating level 4 instructors at Pano. As said earlier, I am self taught from age 5 and 52 years of self diagnosed skiing can develop some bad, and inefficient habits.

What a camp. The instructors were some of the best in Canada. These guys are ex-Interski, they test the new level 4’s and basically set CSIA teaching philosophy and standards. And all, without exception, class A people.

The skiing conditions: while Taynton was open, we never ventured in. Let someone else wreck their skis packing it in. They have groomed Schobers, View, and Top of the World and Roy’s started the weekend OK. They did their best with the combover, and Downhill packed in a bit, but by today, the ski out from View caused a few gouges in my newly tuned bases of my Pursuit 700’s. The race training and this week, the Nor-Ams are taking up a lot of space. Skyline had a restricted point half way down with B limiting the public to a 15’ wide gully that turned quickly to boilerplate, with no way to avoid it if you were coming out of View or the main Champagne runs. Very dangerous. Overall, very firm, though the groomers were giving good grippy conditions for a lot of the terrain. Schobers had some thin sections and the compression heading to Outrider was sketchier than normal.

68 runs open is a stretch, but early season and skiing better than most in the area.

The weekend. If you want to home technique, this is an amazing pre-season tuneup. It is remarkably poorly pimped. From talking to folks who have it on their regular rotation for years, they would have letters/emails for sign up by September when Heather and Don Bilodeau ran it. There were 58 paying clients and 10 instructors, so the six sessions, we only had a sample of the pro’s, but all were great. The curriculum built from Saturday AM some basics and some new thoughts, through today with what are you confused on, fine tuning.

I have a few drills and a lot of notes to keep me working on improvement. For anyone that is a high level skier and wants to get better, I highly recommend this program. We had Pro’s from literally coast to coast (my last guy today was from Wentworth in Nova Scotia) and skiers from the same range of territory. And, while weather is notoriously fickle this time of year, the conditions mean you are learning with some risk, forcing you to pay attention.

I highly recommend. FWIW....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Currently snowing, forecast says all week. Bring it.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

windy AF in banff. thinking/hoping the snow will come in after the winds die down

Windy and lightly snowing in Fernie today. The wind sifted snow made for some good skiing on White Pass. It's still pretty rocky getting into the Knot Chutes, however Curry and Anaconda are in good shape considering we don't have a huge base. The little snow we got today made a big difference on the lower mountain.

Agree! Good day at Fernie. Keep it coming.

P.S. “Not a huge base” is an understatement. There is literally no skiable base on more than half the hill.

Fun day, yes, but let’s be reasonable.

Real time forecast says Ankle deep

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    P.S. “Not a huge base” is an understatement.
    More then Kimberley

windy AF in banff. thinking/hoping the snow will come in after the winds die down
    Drove back to Cowtown from Pano today. West side of the Rockies, even on the drive up over the Divide at Storm Summit, snowing. Down the east side to Trans Canada and snow ended. And yes, the wind was insane.

I was shocked at how green Banff was.

Thinking I head back to Pano Friday AM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk