Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Doesn’t look like you need snow. I don’t see any turns crossed G. Looks sweet
    haha, creative cropping! Not so bad for sure, but this below -25 shit could stop anytime.
    ďI tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.Ē
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

It's officially cold, minus 31 In the village today.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    haha, creative cropping! Not so bad for sure, but this below -25 shit could stop anytime.
    Ya I don’t miss those temps. Cold enough here atm. Ya right on the cropping

Just had a last minute opportunity fall in my lap to hit Retallack for three days starting late next week...

How well does the snow hold in that zone? I donít see a lot of snow in the long term forecast, but I do see very cold temps from now until then.

Donít want to spend too much time heading North if the snow is garbage (and leave UT/CO/CA deepness behind).

#firstworldskierproblems
    You should have been here yesterday!

Their tenure is HUGE. They can get you to powder lines every run. If you are a good skier they will point you towards aggressive lines. If you need blue runs they have that as well. Still better than EPIC or IKON experience any day.

2018/2019 CANADIAN ROCKIES THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Their tenure is HUGE. They can get you to powder lines every run. If you are a good skier they will point you towards aggressive lines. If you need blue runs they have that as well. Still better than EPIC or IKON experience any day.
    That helps. Thank you, sir.

Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: I am the best skier on the mountain, naturally.
    Last edited by PowTron; 02-06-2019 at 12:45 AM.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    Just had a last minute opportunity fall in my lap to hit Retallack for three days starting late next week...

How well does the snow hold in that zone? I donít see a lot of snow in the long term forecast, but I do see very cold temps from now until then.

Donít want to spend too much time heading North if the snow is garbage (and leave UT/CO/CA deepness behind).

#firstworldskierproblems
    Haven't been to Retallack, but every time if done any cat skiing in Nelson area (3 or 4 trips now) it's been relatively low tide, but I've always had a great time as they always seem to be able to find some fresh snow somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I'll be out beginning of April. Spooky still at the Rundlestone? Looks like a good place.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I'll be out beginning of April. Spooky still at the Rundlestone? Looks like a good place.

yup, he is. PM him?

More talk about Fortress.

https://www.rmoutlook.com/article/fo...ening-20190207

It would be nice to see this one going again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rogers View Post

NICE!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Yeah- but the terrain still sucks....

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post

and it's less than an hour from my front door.

Huh? The terrain is quite good in my opinion. Not super steep but still good.

I believe it when I see it regarding a reopening... They've been talking about it for years and it never came to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post

I believe it when I see it regarding a reopening... They've been talking about it for years and it never came to fruition.

I think you would change your mind about the terrain once you put fat skis on. Itís been closed for 15 years and it sucked back then so I donít know how that would change. Just let it Rest In Peace... turn it into a hut access ski touring club or something along those lines. Iím convinced it will fail again as a ski hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post

Shhhhhh.

The terrain sucks!

... turn it into a hut access ski touring club or something along those lines.
    Well you got this part right.

I used to take new and lower ability partners up there to tour sometimes.

Just let Fortress die already. I'm nostalgic too, used to coach and spent many of my university days there but I'm convinced like TD, that if we ever went back there, it would be BORING AS FUCK!

This seems to be optimistic at best. Maybe a misunderstanding of the market.

"Fifty per cent of Albertan ski days are outside the province,Ē said Waddell. ďThatís a huge number of skiers that leave Alberta to ski simply because Albertaís ski hills are full.Ē

And Chevy is president of this new jump start, so I can guess a bit of the list of who the other investors are...and they definitely have experience running a boutique ski op.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Well you got this part right.

I used to take new and lower ability partners up there to tour sometimes.
    Do you think they would give up the cats? They seem to be doing okay....with sales as least. I can't imagine spending that $$$$ for fortress, but there seems to be a market.

I think you would change your mind about the terrain once you put fat skis on. Itís been closed for 15 years and it sucked back then so I donít know how that would change. Just let it Rest In Peace... turn it into a hut access ski touring club or something along those lines. Iím convinced it will fail again as a ski hill.
    The first really deep day I skied was at fortress and it was volkl explosives... 99mm under foot, and 1m of powder

That was too much snow for that ski but it would also likely be too much for my current fatties.

I've also toured up there in less snow but still powder and had a blast. It's not the gnar but I enjoyed it.

I'd ski there again if it does actually open.

My understanding of why it failed was almost entirely due to needing bridge repairs that suddenly came up.

And I spoke to one of the previous owners at length one time, who had some interesting stories to share about a beurocracy that seemed to have it in for him. He seemed to make some powerful enemies or it might still be open.

I worked with one of the current owners on a job a couple summers ago. We started talking mtbing and how they were discussing the potential for summer lift served mtb riding. I'm not convinced it has the terrain for it, frontside would be too steep of a grade, backside could be great but then you need to run two lifts to get there...plus their higher elevation may mean more inclimate riding weather.

I think that all of us who used to ski it BITD with its legendary upsloap dumps, have money and kids now...and would take them to Fortress in a hot second.

You're being given the chance to avoid Sunshine or Nakiska, or god forbid COP...as are all the other Calgarians who have nostalgia for skiing there and now have kids.

I think there's a market for this.

You're in the parking lot in less than an hour. You're home in less than an hour. Do people really want to drive with their kids all the way to Sunshine for snow? Or Nakiska for ice? ...when you could go to the Fort for either, with less drive and likely for less money? For putting around with your 5 year old, or ripping laps with your teenager who's starting to kick your ass?

This seems like a no-brainer, given how much it costs a Calgary family to go for a full weekend to Golden, or the time spent driving whiny, tired kids back and forth to Sunshine.

"Fifty per cent of Albertan ski days are outside the province,” said Waddell. “That’s a huge number of skiers that leave Alberta to ski simply because Alberta’s ski hills are full.”
    Its not because the hills are full its because the snow is wayyyyy better!

The only positive to reopening Fortress is that the Gas Station at the bottom sells singles....Besides that RIP